The weather has remained as crazy as can be expected. Many of the nights are going into the 40s, but the water in the pools and vats stays in the low 70s. Amazingly, not one fish had demonstrated any sign of distress with the broiling hot and the freezing cold temp swings. I would have bet heavily against those odds. For the last two weeks I have been catching fish and bringing them inside. I did not think out that part of the project and have learned my lesson the hard way for next year. There are still fish in each of the four containers.
Pool #1 has been the top producer and just exploded with Endlers and Least Killies. Final counts will be next week, but I'd estimate 225-250 Endlers and 75-80 Least Killies. The fish are so healthy that they are reproducing and dropping fry during the three stage reacclimation process from outside to indoortanks. I have thinned the schoals down a lot, but within the next two days I'm going to have to bit the bullet and get in the pool to wrap things up. Still no baby crayfish despite seeing the adults.
Vat #1 was a late bloomer. and due to the weather changes has actually started to turn over, the process the bottom debres go through in fall and spring. The counts in this vat are likely higher than I estimated with 125-150 Endlers and 50-70 Least Killies. You guessed it, no baby crayfish yet. I'm not sure why, but some of the female Endlers are huge over 2". I will quick drain this vat within the next two days and pull the rest.
Pool #2 is still thick with hair algae. I did discover that I can get the fish out although it is going to be a process. I will start this week. It should be a slimmy mess, but I put them in there so it looks like have to deal. Not happening next year.
Vat #2 has been pea green since the first week in August. I got the Jacks out today and was dissapointed that they only grew about an inch. I could ahave done better leaving them indoors. Keep in mind this vat had to be scrapped and got a 5 week delayed start. I also have removed about 20 Gambusia. The fry survived because the adults could not see them in all the green. Just observing in the tanks tonight it appears I have two pairs and an odd female.
Over the next two weeks I'll wrap up the thread and give final counts and a list of what I learned the good, bad and ugly. The project endured two different frog invasions, weather that was really unstable, deer drinking out of the containers nightly and my trial and error process. I'm also planning next year and would really like some suggestions on stocking.