How to prevent mosquitoe's - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
GreyHounD's Avatar
 
How to prevent mosquitoe's

I need help I have a home made pond using plastic and wood, and a tub/big bucket.
All is unfiltered..

But my parents are trying to get rid of them because they might cause dengue..
Mosquitoe's-> dengue -> sick people at home...

Ugh..

how can I prevent Mosquitoe's from over breeding/ Fully growing up?


I have 1 tub with snakehead and oscar in it
a pond with 15 mollies
a pond with 4 fighting fish 2 male and 2 female ..

I LOVE MY WEIRD!

SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH #1!!
GreyHounD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
You could try a bug zapper or if you have the right conditions, a bat house.

Some of the bug zappers use heat and carbon dioxide to attract the mosquitos (same as what attracts them to us humans) but they can be a little pricey.

You'll have to do some research on what would be best for you. Hopefully, some members with ponds will jump in here.

Good luck.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
Add fish that eat mosquitoes i.e rosy red minnows, white cloud mountain minnows, mosquito fish. Other than that i dont know of any other way to get rid of them.

EDIT: I see in your signature that you have mollies and betta's. These fish devour mosquito larvae, so it shouldnt be a problem. Oscar's will also eat mosquito larvae while they're young. Im not sure about the snakehead though.

Last edited by amazon21; 07-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.
amazon21 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
GreyHounD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon21 View Post
Add fish that eat mosquitoes i.e rosy red minnows, white cloud mountain minnows, mosquito fish. Other than that i dont know of any other way to get rid of them.

EDIT: I see in your signature that you have mollies and betta's. These fish devour mosquito larvae, so it shouldnt be a problem. Oscar's will also eat mosquito larvae while they're young. Im not sure about the snakehead though.
My oscar is like 10 inches big already.. I guess he's not gonna eat them no more ..

I place 3 fish in the big container, a jumping perch adult size, a snakehead 10" long and a oscar fish 10 inches long too..

Can you tell me the name of the mosquito fish? or is it really called mosquito fish?

I LOVE MY WEIRD!

SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH #1!!
GreyHounD is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 AM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHounD View Post
My oscar is like 10 inches big already.. I guess he's not gonna eat them no more ..

I place 3 fish in the big container, a jumping perch adult size, a snakehead 10" long and a oscar fish 10 inches long too..

Can you tell me the name of the mosquito fish? or is it really called mosquito fish?
They're called mosquito fish, the problem is that they only grow about 2.5 inches max, so they'd likely get eaten by your bigger fish. Here is some info about them. Gambusia affinis (Western Mosquitofish) — Seriously Fish
amazon21 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
If you dont see any mosquito larvae in the water, then its likely that your oscar is eating them. Mosquito larvae are about the same size as a bloodworm, if your oscar still accepts food that size, it's probably eating the mosquito larvae as well.
amazon21 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Varkolak's Avatar
 
blood worms are mosquito larva, and nearly every fish will eat them so if you have fish in there you wont have issues. May I ask where you live? I'm worried about you keeping a snakehead in an outside container, its highly illegal to keep one at all in America as well as most of the world where they are not native and keeping it outside is just asking for it to escape.

That would make sense. Haven't you heard? We make yogurt, not sense.

~My Boss

Varkolak is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
GreyHounD's Avatar
 
I live in the Philippines no worries the container is like 12 inches higher than the water.

I just leave the rain gutter to fill the container.

and thanks guys for passing by the thread at least I clarified some things.

So my betta pond is like 5 ft long and 6 inches high, but with just 4 betta's do you think it might cause the problem? I know the molly tank will be fine just worried bout the betta cause its a long tank and 3 of the betta's are still immature/young.

I LOVE MY WEIRD!

SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH #1!!
GreyHounD is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHounD View Post
I live in the Philippines no worries the container is like 12 inches higher than the water.

I just leave the rain gutter to fill the container.

and thanks guys for passing by the thread at least I clarified some things.

So my betta pond is like 5 ft long and 6 inches high, but with just 4 betta's do you think it might cause the problem? I know the molly tank will be fine just worried bout the betta cause its a long tank and 3 of the betta's are still immature/young.
Mosquito larvae are a betta's natural diet. They will eat any that show up very quick.
amazon21 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
GreyHounD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon21 View Post
Mosquito larvae are a betta's natural diet. They will eat any that show up very quick.
Thank you! I guess that'll prove mom wrong! :)

I just now need to get rid of the snakehead and oscar..

I LOVE MY WEIRD!

SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH #1!!
GreyHounD is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to prevent MTS mjbn Beginner Planted Aquarium 15 06-24-2011 11:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome