Earlier this year I saw some gorgeous pictures of a little pond made in an old barrel. As I did more research (one of the articles I found: Summer Tubbin' by John Sipes
) into the idea I found that not only do people keep these for the beautiful pond plants, but they can also keep these tubs as grow-out tubs for spawns. I'd never really thought of myself as needing a grow-out or even wanting a smaller pond because I already have a large pond and I don't breed fish. But earlier this year I had my honey gourami spawn in their QT tank, and it got me thinking. I like gourami and they are pretty easy to breed in a setup like this. All I need would be one spawn large enough to sell at the end of the summer. Well I didn't want to just throw my honies out there after I spent so much money to get them here (no local fish stores grr!), so I wanted to try a small tub this summer with the livebearers from my pond, a local fish called Gambusia holbrooki
. And that is how this project was born.
The weather has been a bit funny this spring. We had a real rapid warming and then a large cooling off where temps fell back down close to freezing. I'm not worried about the fish as much as I am worried about the plants. I'm planning on lotus, iris, and some floaters. Most of those plants can't take the cold. It looks like outside temperatures have stabilized for now, so I'm getting this project started.
Today was equipment day. I drilled the overflow holes in the bucket and tested the pump/fountain I want to use for water movement. We bought this little pond fountain years ago when we had a massive pump failure on the pond. I'm so glad we did because it enabled us to keep the koi alive that winter.
Three little overflow holes. The only drill bit I could find for the dremel wasn't that big, so I figured I would compensate with multiple ones. BTW, love dremel tools... so useful!!
My little helper!
Testing the overflow as well as the pump/fountain. Overflow worked like a charm! The pump needed some cleaning and to be knocked down the lowest setting, but now it's working great!
And that wraps up my work for today! I'm trying to local some floaters in my area, so when I get those, it's time to fill it up!!! I'm hoping that will be this weekend!! :D