12-05-2007, 03:48 PM
| || |
after a MINOR setback... well.... change.... im back up and running. I made one major change, I added 25 more pounds of gravel to get 99.9% of the substrate out of the water rather than it being saturated. This way the semi-aquatic plant I put in there always has tons of water. The eco earth substrate does a great job of pulling up the water and staying moist, and with the redesign its easier to keep it from getting TOO moist.
I forgot to unplug the heater during the swap over, and my shiney happy visitherm aquarium heater blew up. and I mean blew up. SO im leaving them without a heater, but they are doing just fine at about 70 degrees F. I also added a tetra whisper 10 internal aquarium filter to keep the scruffy stuff from accumulating TOO bad in the water, the downside is the shallow water keeps the flow rate way down. couple that with the chunkies that plug it up from the eco earth and im cleaning the filter every night. A piece of screen buried in the gravel under the eco earth might be the ticket.
I bought 2 10 watt florescent bulbs to replace the incandescent ones in the hood, which makes everything look LOTS better, and as I said before I added a semi-aquatic terrarium plant. Oh, and when I bought that stuff I bought myself another firebelly :) now spartan gets along JUST WONDERFUL with sarge, gladiator, and dash.
future improvements include plastic shelves on the back wall for them to climb on, lathered in silicone and covered in sand for a natural look and grip. I might do a whole textured back for the tank! I might also eventually upgrade to an external canister filter to help control the chunkies.
feeding 12 small crickets every other day and the toads are just booming :D
pictures will come later tonight!