guys I just learned what paludariums are..wow - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
Yeah they are fun. Here are some random pictures of my 5 gallon one. It needs new dirt ATM, occasionally I keep stuff in it, usually its just plants snails and shrimps. Gonna do a massive one someday for my caecilians but with a entirely different scape. My little one is almost self maintaining. I go months between changing water and it has had no filter or pump for over a year now. It sits stagnant and unheated. Stays perfect though. Took many hours over the course of a week to build the hardscape in this tank.






thats AWESOME!!!!!:D

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 Old 05-15-2011, 08:57 PM
what are the inhabitants

38 gallon :
Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerian Red not yet breeding pair
4 Pangio Kuhli
12 Hemmigrammus Bleheri
2 Botia Lohachata
1 Botia Straita
1 Ancistrus Sp.
6 Poecilia Reticulata




The Wet Spot Portland Oregon!!!!!!

ADA: Do!aqua Iwagumi 10 gallon size!
7 Clown Killies
7 Ghost shrimp
Christople is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
what are the inhabitants
ATM nothing but snails. I've kept a few things in it before. There is a little baby native american toad in the second pic I fed for a summer. Kept some male endlers in the water before, along with cherry shrimp and such. Space is very limited in it, only holds about a gallon of water, not a lot of room on the land side either. It grows plants and flowers year round though. Its a mix of tropical aquatics and native Wisconsin plants.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
ATM nothing but snails. I've kept a few things in it before. There is a little baby native american toad in the second pic I fed for a summer. Kept some male endlers in the water before, along with cherry shrimp and such. Space is very limited in it, only holds about a gallon of water, not a lot of room on the land side either. It grows plants and flowers year round though. Its a mix of tropical aquatics and native Wisconsin plants.
very cool! hey Mikaila what light would you put on a 20 gallon long aquarium for some fast plant growth? I have a 6700k light but its not bright. I dont add co2 just the comprehensive. Can you advise me one in your opinion please?:)

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
very cool! hey Mikaila what light would you put on a 20 gallon long aquarium for some fast plant growth? I have a 6700k light but its not bright. I dont add co2 just the comprehensive. Can you advise me one in your opinion please?:)
either around 40 watts of T8's or spiral compacts or one 2 foot T5 bulb Home Depot has some good choices for the last option the tank is 30" though so you might be a little dark/low light on the ends of the tank.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
either around 40 watts of T8's or spiral compacts or one 2 foot T5 bulb Home Depot has some good choices for the last option the tank is 30" though so you might be a little dark/low light on the ends of the tank.
do you think that a 24W T5 6500k will be good for a single fluorescent bulb? the ones I can use are the 24" ones.. you like 9000k+ right because its kind of bluish? I forgot what kelvin you said exactly ..Im just looking for brightness because of my little forest I have..

do you know of a site to find good bulbs that are not too expensive?

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
do you think that a 24W T5 6500k will be good for a single fluorescent bulb? the ones I can use are the 24" ones.. you like 9000k+ right because its kind of bluish? I forgot what kelvin you said exactly ..Im just looking for brightness because of my little forest I have..

do you know of a site to find good bulbs that are not too expensive?
Use whatever home depot is selling. A 2ft single T5 will run you like $20 or something with the bulb. Only downside is its will need to be retrofitted to something else. Which is easier then most people think.

The best way to cut costs is to buy stuff that isn't marketed towards aquariums.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What have you learned here? MoneyMitch Off Topic Discussions 7 10-27-2009 01:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome