So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Off Topic Discussions » So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict

So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict

This is a discussion on So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict within the Off Topic Discussions forums, part of the The Tropical Fish Keeping Community category; --> Today I went to the lake to get some driftwood for my 10g and came back with enough to fill a 40g. I also ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
 
dfbiggs's Avatar
 
So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict

Today I went to the lake to get some driftwood for my 10g and came back with enough to fill a 40g. I also have to laugh because I keep suitcases of large rocks which I scrubbed clean for any upcoming aquariums...anyone else do this? Or should I seek help :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5610.jpg (108.9 KB, 75 views)
dfbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
 
Bluebirdnanny's Avatar
 
I dare say many do, though few will admit to the practice. Those who don't will caution us that do of potential dangers this can add to our aquariums. Care MUST be taken not to introduce into the tank any thing that has or may have bacterial, parasite or other harmful organisms into our tanks.

There are ways to sterilize but we must be careful we do so thoroughly. There are many different ways of this but to the beginner it is not a good practice until more skilled at the process. One can not take from the lake and add directly to the tank without risking the health of their tank community ecosystem.
Bluebirdnanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
 
tanker's Avatar
 
I think it's good to have an interest. I don't keep things for future tanks because my house is full up with as many tanks as it can fit (unless I start replacing furniture with tanks - and that would be going overboard.). If it's possible that you will have more tanks, it isn't silly to think ahead and start collecting nice things to put in them. It is hard to find what you are looking for when you are setting up a new tank.
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
its all good

gotta have a stock pile...never know when you need a nother tank setup...and when you go to a LFS and see the prices on the treasures you found for free it all makes sense...
badxgillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
 
1077's Avatar
 
You know you have crossed the line when your fish eat better than you do.When every table,chest,shelf you see at stores,garage sales ,etc you begin thinking of whether it could support a tank.
When you choose to buy just a half tank of gas rather than filling up so you can stop at local fish store on the way home.
I'm Fish poor, and nearly dirt poor to boot,but I always seem to get buy and the fishes thrive. To me,,that's all that matter's.

Last edited by 1077; 11-08-2010 at 05:09 AM..
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
 
dfbiggs's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
You know you have crossed the line when your fish eat better than you do.When every table,chest,shelf you see at stores,garage sales ,etc you begin thinking of whether it could support a tank.
When you choose to buy just a half tank of gas rather than filling up so you can stop at local fish store on the way home.
I'm Fish poor, and nearly dirt poor to boot,but I always seem to get buy and the fishes thrive. To me,,that's all that matter's.

Well I meet all the criteria..lol that is funny eyeing up stands you see around though...I thought I was the only one. Something else I found myself doing is looking at shrubbery and trees and wishing they were aquatic plants so I can put them in an aquarium..:)
dfbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
 
No matter how many woods and stones you have collected already: you'll always need for one more.
Ciao!
AnfibioRana

Last edited by AnfibioRana; 11-09-2010 at 09:13 AM..
AnfibioRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
 
OscarLoverJim's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfbiggs View Post
Well I meet all the criteria..lol that is funny eyeing up stands you see around though...I thought I was the only one. Something else I found myself doing is looking at shrubbery and trees and wishing they were aquatic plants so I can put them in an aquarium..:)

"You must bring us a shrubbery!" - Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Yeah I have in past met those criteria too, as well as finally knowing I'd gone too far when I tried to put a 5 gallon on a stair landing because it was the last good plug in in the house. When I think back I can admit my ex wife went through a lot sometimes.
OscarLoverJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim View Post
"You must bring us a shrubbery!" - Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Yeah I have in past met those criteria too, as well as finally knowing I'd gone too far when I tried to put a 5 gallon on a stair landing because it was the last good plug in in the house. When I think back I can admit my ex wife went through a lot sometimes.

LMAO.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
 
dfbiggs's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim View Post
"You must bring us a shrubbery!" - Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Yeah I have in past met those criteria too, as well as finally knowing I'd gone too far when I tried to put a 5 gallon on a stair landing because it was the last good plug in in the house. When I think back I can admit my ex wife went through a lot sometimes.
That's pretty funny..Well good...now I don't feel like I have a problem..this must be what AA feels like.
dfbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from a new addict shadetreeme Introduce Yourself 17 10-16-2010 08:09 PM
My name is Miguel and I'm an addict....... Miguel0314 Introduce Yourself 18 10-10-2010 08:29 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.