As I was born in the Philippines and having been very westernised (live in the US for over 35 years), I can tell you allot of nice things there...
- Due to the exchange rate, things are very cheap there. I went to a nice restaurant and had a steak dinner, with baked potatoes, and a drink for less than $8 (USD). A comparible meal in the US, about $40.
- I play golf, so I golfed at a nice resort in Boracay. I paid about $40 (USD) for the course, which included a golf cart and had a caddy for an additional $5 (USD). If you golfed at a resort in the US, expect to pay at least $100. Tipping a caddy would probably be $50 or more. I don't know, becuase I knew I could never really afford one here.
- If you drive like a maniac, then give you will LOVE driving in the Philippines. I've cutoff people and made extra lanes. I was on a local road one time during rush hour. It was a 2 lane road, with cars coming from the opposite lane. Then a car decided to drive down the middle of both lanes as more cars followed. Basically making an additional lane, so I followed. LOL
- If you get road rage, DO NOT drive there! People are very patient drivers and honking is a common form of communication on the road. I saw someone make a u-turn, causing traffic on both sides of the road, and nobody got mad at the person.
- Boracay has allot of nice clubs.
- Snorkeling in Boracay was awesome! The water was very clear. I was afraid of jumping off the boats, since you can see the sea urchins on the bottom and I was afraid of getting pricked by one. But when you got in the water, you can actually see that the water was very deep and there was no way I would touch them if I jumped in. I was also allowed to remove my life vest so I can swim deeper to get a closer look at them.
I love the food there. If any of you decide to visit, try some of my favorites...
Halo Halo - it's shaved ice, with lots of different fruits mixed in.
Balot (if your daring) - LOL
Lanka - fresh fruit
Sisig - it's like deep fried pork
If you're not willing to try new dishes, they do have regular chain restaurant/fast food places there too, like McDonalds, and I think Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken.