lfs "mistakes"
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Off Topic Discussions » lfs "mistakes"

lfs "mistakes"

This is a discussion on lfs "mistakes" within the Off Topic Discussions forums, part of the The Tropical Fish Keeping Community category; --> I have heard alot of crazy stories about local fish stores. No, they aren't perfect (maybe yours is), so post some funny "mistakes" or ...

Reply
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
 
small fry's Avatar
 
lfs "mistakes"

I have heard alot of crazy stories about local fish stores. No, they aren't perfect (maybe yours is), so post some funny "mistakes" or other expirences you have had with your lfs.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
 
small fry's Avatar
 
Let me tell you my worst expirence with my lfs.

This is my secret and tragic beginning to fish keeping.

I had not even started fish yet. I was going to get fish. Here is what I 'knew' about fish; de-chlorinated water+filter+flakes = perfectly happy, heathy fish.

I went to Walmart and got a bowl and a filter. I explained the setup to the lfs manager. The manager let me walk out of the fish store with 2 fish for my filtered 1g bowl; 1 Colombian/Black Fin Shark (get 12" long!) and a pleco that was 6" long!

I promise the manager knew I had a 1g bowl!

Sad story goes, the pleco died the next day and the shark 2 days after. I had never heard of Ammonia or anything! When I went back to the lfs I got an "I told you so" from the manager. What!? "I told you so!?" The manager didn't tell me ANYTHING except how to feed them pellets!

My pet store is ok I guess, but that was the worst thing that ever happened to me when it comes to fish.

Your story doesn't have to be sad, but it can be if you want.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by small fry View Post
Let me tell you my worst expirence with my lfs.

This is my secret and tragic beginning to fish keeping.

I had not even started fish yet. I was going to get fish. Here is what I 'knew' about fish; de-chlorinated water+filter+flakes = perfectly happy, heathy fish.

I went to Walmart and got a bowl and a filter. I explained the setup to the lfs manager. The manager let me walk out of the fish store with 2 fish for my filtered 1g bowl; 1 Colombian/Black Fin Shark (get 12" long!) and a pleco that was 6" long!

I promise the manager knew I had a 1g bowl!

Sad story goes, the pleco died the next day and the shark 2 days after. I had never heard of Ammonia or anything! When I went back to the lfs I got an "I told you so" from the manager. What!? "I told you so!?" The manager didn't tell me ANYTHING except how to feed them pellets!

My pet store is ok I guess, but that was the worst thing that ever happened to me when it comes to fish.

Your story doesn't have to be sad, but it can be if you want.
Wow, that is sad!

I haven't had too much bad luck with LFS's. There was one time I told the guy I wanted a JD and showed him the tank they were in (they were juvie fish). He told me, "Oh, those aren't JD's. Those are Green Terrors." Then proceeded to show me where the "JD's" were in another tank. Well, the ones he showed me were Green Terrors. I knew the other fish I had picked out were in fact JD's and had to tell him the difference between them. I wonder how many other people he sold the wrong fish to.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
 
danifacetastic's Avatar
 
My lfs told me that any tank under a 10 gallon didn't need a heater...that it would stay warm on it's own.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
 
small fry's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
Wow, that is sad!

I haven't had too much bad luck with LFS's. There was one time I told the guy I wanted a JD and showed him the tank they were in (they were juvie fish). He told me, "Oh, those aren't JD's. Those are Green Terrors." Then proceeded to show me where the "JD's" were in another tank. Well, the ones he showed me were Green Terrors. I knew the other fish I had picked out were in fact JD's and had to tell him the difference between them. I wonder how many other people he sold the wrong fish to.
That happened to me at Petsmart! Except I didn't say anyting.

Speaking of Petsmart, the other day I went to my closes Petsmart (55 minutes away) and they had 2 male red tail sharks that were trying to kill each other. The guy working the fish department said that they would be fine (one of RT sharks was silver with a see-through white tail).
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
 
iamgray's Avatar
 
Thanks to this site, I haven't had any major misfortune with any of my LFS... when i first got started and had tons of questions, I remember going into one and being disappointed in the way the guy spoke to me... I found him a bit rude/harsh/insensitive but nothing major.

At another store, I asked how many guppies I could add to a brand new tank, and the girl said "you can probably dump like... 5-10 in there." I had to prompt her a couple times before she asked me the tank size (10g, not yet cycled!!!) but lucky for me I already knew enough to know that she was wrong... if I hadn't educated myself somewhat before going in there, I might have believed her.
iamgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
 
I hate it when petstore employees tell people that they can house a male and female betta in a 2 gallon bowl and they;ll be just fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
 
small fry's Avatar
 
...or the time when the lfs let me walk out of the pet store with 1 single Lemon Tetra that died that week of depression...
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
I'm lucky as my favorite LFS is awesome. The other one is pretty good but once I had to return three fish. I went in to purchase a trio ofCrossocheilus siamensis and got home and found out that I had a trio ofEpalzeorhynchos kalopterus instead. They had both species in the same tank so I can understand why they made the mistake. I should have paid more attention to them while they were bagging the fish for me. These two species look nearly identical but there are a few subtle differences, if you know what you are looking for. My "awesome" LFS would never have made this mistake.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
 
small fry's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I'm lucky as my favorite LFS is awesome. The other one is pretty good but once I had to return three fish. I went in to purchase a trio ofCrossocheilus siamensis and got home and found out that I had a trio ofEpalzeorhynchos kalopterus instead. They had both species in the same tank so I can understand why they made the mistake. I should have paid more attention to them while they were bagging the fish for me. These two species look nearly identical but there are a few subtle differences, if you know what you are looking for. My "awesome" LFS would never have made this mistake.
That is great aunt Kymmie! Not that you had a fish mixup, but that you have an awesome fish store near you! That is a great thing to have!

A good fish store is what every fish owner needs. Too bad so many have to go without. (but if it weren't for the not-so-good lfs this thread wouldn't be here lol).
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Meat" coral - how long to "open"? Mike Coral and Reef Creatures 4 04-02-2007 12:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.