Carsten just had a MAJOR MAJOR seizure, I am freaking. - Page 7
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Off Topic Discussions » Carsten just had a MAJOR MAJOR seizure, I am freaking.

Carsten just had a MAJOR MAJOR seizure, I am freaking.

This is a discussion on Carsten just had a MAJOR MAJOR seizure, I am freaking. within the Off Topic Discussions forums, part of the The Tropical Fish Keeping Community category; --> Originally Posted by Termato Aww I hope he is doing better. With such a bloodline like that you wouldn't expect these kinds of problems ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Carsten just had a MAJOR MAJOR seizure, I am freaking.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #61
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Aww I hope he is doing better. With such a bloodline like that you wouldn't expect these kinds of problems :( Best of luck!
Exactly! I didn't expect these problems with him and am so disappointed. I have had so many very very expensive rescues and am tapped out financially from them which is why I went to this breeder in the first place and paid the big bucks for him. Now... I have yet another one with big bills and sad health issues. He is still my sweet little boy but I am sad every time I look at him.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #62
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Exactly! I didn't expect these problems with him and am so disappointed. I have had so many very very expensive rescues and am tapped out financially from them which is why I went to this breeder in the first place and paid the big bucks for him. Now... I have yet another one with big bills and sad health issues. He is still my sweet little boy but I am sad every time I look at him.
Wow, how old is he? I hope he starts doing better.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #63
 
Inga's Avatar
 
He is 4 1/2 which is far too young to have all these issues. :(
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #64
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
He is 4 1/2 which is far too young to have all these issues. :(
Yea I agree. WAY too young....poor Carsten! :(
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #65
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
No more seizures, at least nothing major. We have wondered about his leg shaking when he plays with his friend "Fuzz" during the play dates. A couple of times, he would come by me, sit down and then his leg would be shaking like crazy. He was also salivating so... wondered if it was a miniature seizure? His meds are at the right level according to last Fridays blood test so.. we will stay here for some time and see how things go.

Now I am dealing with his digestive issues which seem to have gotten worse again. So frustrating. His father is the number one Rottweiler in the US. Mother a champion. Scary... IF it is epilepsy, how many others?

I've also got a Rotti, (about 10 years old) that has digestive problems. What are you doing that may help me? We've gone from pro-biotics to acid reducer pills, and he still often gets tummy aches, and runs outside to eat grass or leaves. He seems to have a stomach that digests food slowly, and it gets funky in his system. We feed a grain free diet, as he doesn't do well with grains. I'm wondering if you've found something good. Perhaps I should add more fiber?

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #66
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Hey Inga.... How is Carsten doing? Hope he is doing better!!! Let us know.

Gwen does your guy have allergies to anything? I know a Golden Retriever who is allergic to corn. My only experience with digestive troubles is not in a dog but a daughter with Crohn's. She can only eat soluble fiber and avoid insoluble fiber. She is also wheat and dairy intolerant, more so dairy. She needs to eat the inside of everything, no skin basically.
Have you ever tried boiled hamburger and white rice? We always feed our dogs that after they have been sick... a recovery food. Take him off everything but that for a week and then start trying different ingredients to see what brings on the tummy trouble. An elimination diet. You go off everything and slowly start adding things back but in doggy form.
You can spent a fortune on the best food but if it still has that one ingredient that bothers him, then here we go again. Look at the ingredients in his current food, look for common ingredients in the past foods you have tried and then find one if you can without that ingredient. Good luck to you. Msg me if you want more info.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaHorse For This Useful Post:
GwenInNM (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #67
 
willow's Avatar
 
poor carsten.about time he had some good karma come his way.
i'll keep him in my prayers tonight.
xx
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #68
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post

I've also got a Rotti, (about 10 years old) that has digestive problems. What are you doing that may help me? We've gone from pro-biotics to acid reducer pills, and he still often gets tummy aches, and runs outside to eat grass or leaves. He seems to have a stomach that digests food slowly, and it gets funky in his system. We feed a grain free diet, as he doesn't do well with grains. I'm wondering if you've found something good. Perhaps I should add more fiber?

Gwen

I agree with Jackie but I use Chicken and rice rather then hamburger just because of the fat. If you do hamburger (and it is fine to do so) make sure to buy lean. I also would add to that, a bit of canned pumpkin (no additives) maybe some plain yogurt or his probiotics. It seems some dogs need to stay on probiotics all the time, not just as a "reboot" like other dogs. Like Jackie said, watch the ingredients. In my opinion, less is best. If you have a food with more ingredients, try one with less. Try a sensitive stomach formula? Carsten was also on Tylen powder for some time and that helped a lot.

This is the first Rottie I had that had sensitive anything. They are over doing things in the breeding department and ruining my favorite breed.

I appreciate the prayers and kind thoughts. I love my boys and it makes me so sad when they are ill in any way.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #69
 
willow's Avatar
 
i can understand that,they can't even tell you how they're feeling.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #70
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
I agree with Jackie but I use Chicken and rice rather then hamburger just because of the fat. If you do hamburger (and it is fine to do so) make sure to buy lean. I also would add to that, a bit of canned pumpkin (no additives) maybe some plain yogurt or his probiotics. It seems some dogs need to stay on probiotics all the time, not just as a "reboot" like other dogs. Like Jackie said, watch the ingredients. In my opinion, less is best. If you have a food with more ingredients, try one with less. Try a sensitive stomach formula? Carsten was also on Tylen powder for some time and that helped a lot.

This is the first Rottie I had that had sensitive anything. They are over doing things in the breeding department and ruining my favorite breed.

I appreciate the prayers and kind thoughts. I love my boys and it makes me so sad when they are ill in any way.

Thanks to you and Jackie for the info. Nothing I've not heard, but have a hard time doing His food is the best we've found, after trail and error, even doing a completely raw diet. I'm "bad" about table scrapes. I can't resist the sad eyes for food, so if I can't stop doing that, I'll never get to the bottom of it. Sadly, it's me. He's doing better with probotics and the acid reducer pills. He still gets the urge to vomit sometimes, and runs outside and eats grass or whatever (leaves in the winter) He rarely if ever actually throws up, I think he just has that rotten tummy feeling. I give him boiled chicken in his kibble each feeding, to keep protein up. I've not heard of Tylen powder - what is that, and where do you get it Inga?

My rottie has just begun being hard of hearing, and I fear deafness won't be far behind, as the on-set seems rapid. Or, he's just showing his stubberness, and is pretending he doesn't hear me LOL.

Best wishes for Carsten!

Gwen

GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need major help all out of options!!!! adrenln Tropical Fish Diseases 3 03-27-2009 11:28 AM
Help, Need major help :( biggerboy Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 04-08-2008 11:07 AM
Major Score! fish_4_all Cyprinids and Atherinids 1 01-30-2008 01:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.