Anyone Knit or Crochet? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Off Topic Discussions » Anyone Knit or Crochet?

Anyone Knit or Crochet?

This is a discussion on Anyone Knit or Crochet? within the Off Topic Discussions forums, part of the The Tropical Fish Keeping Community category; --> I've got two Afghans going at once....

Like Tree41Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Anyone Knit or Crochet?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #11
 
I've got two Afghans going at once.
Mikaila31 likes this.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
pop
 
Hello Flint:
MY grandma taught me to crochet when I was a child. It is a great way to have a quiet and calm time. In some ways its like watching fish swim or reading a good book. I still crochet. Have fun.
pop
pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
 
Any of you frequent Ravelry? They have some really cute patterns. Huge pattern database!
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Any of you frequent Ravelry? They have some really cute patterns. Huge pattern database!
I'm on Ravelry! I've been hunting for a knitted Christmas Stocking pattern that all us kids had growing up, then "Gramma" made them for all of our kids. When Mom passed (and we emptied the house) I acquired a huge laundry basket heaped full of all her patterns and 4 full garbage bags of wool. Some wool I kept, some I donated.
She had ALL the patterns she ever used/made/wrote out by hand in that pile... Do you think the Stocking pattern was in there? NOPE. I've contacted all her sisters but they all made a different style than we had. It must have been in her head(!) but there's no way she could have had the "picture graph" in her head. I've been asking and hunting for 2 Xmas's now. I'll find it or chart it out if I have to I guess.

I learned to knit when I was 6 and crochet when I was 13.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
 
I learned to crochet a few weeks ago. I learned to knit about 5-6 years ago. I'm much more into crochet than I ever was knitting, it tends to yield product sooo much faster. I'm about to start this pattern, I'm a little intimidated but the swatches I've been doing haven't been bad. I'm not even going to attempt weaving in all of those ends, I'm just going to make a solid black or pink blanket the same dimensions and sew it onto the back then do the trim around them both. It'll be nice and warm! I edited it a bit, too. You can see my edited version in projects. Feel free to add me on there!
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I learned to crochet a few weeks ago. I learned to knit about 5-6 years ago. I'm much more into crochet than I ever was knitting, it tends to yield product sooo much faster. I'm about to start this pattern, I'm a little intimidated but the swatches I've been doing haven't been bad. I'm not even going to attempt weaving in all of those ends, I'm just going to make a solid black or pink blanket the same dimensions and sew it onto the back then do the trim around them both. It'll be nice and warm! I edited it a bit, too. You can see my edited version in projects. Feel free to add me on there!
That is very challenging! but very cool! That makes sense to do a full back layer and will make a fairly heavy blankie. What about sewing on a piece of pink fleece and then edging in pink? It will be done faster and you could just pin and hand sew the fleece around the finished top layer on the underside. (saves you half the time!) If you leave all your tail ends inside between the layers, don't cut the yarn ends too close. Leave a 2" tail at least and tie your knots tight as they have to stand up to laundry.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
 
jimscott's Avatar
 
Oddly enough, I was taught how to knit... and made a scarf.
SeaHorse likes this.
jimscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
That is very challenging! but very cool! That makes sense to do a full back layer and will make a fairly heavy blankie. What about sewing on a piece of pink fleece and then edging in pink? It will be done faster and you could just pin and hand sew the fleece around the finished top layer on the underside. (saves you half the time!) If you leave all your tail ends inside between the layers, don't cut the yarn ends too close. Leave a 2" tail at least and tie your knots tight as they have to stand up to laundry.
Good idea! I may do that instead. Should I tack the fleece at random points in the black zebra stripes so they don't separate and get weird?
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
 
djembekah's Avatar
 
i like ravelry!!! i believe i'm djembekah on there too :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Good idea! I may do that instead. Should I tack the fleece at random points in the black zebra stripes so they don't separate and get weird?
Even tho fleece doesn't fray I would cut it at least an inch bigger than the finished product of your crocheted piece. Remember fleece comes in quite a wide width to the roll which will likely be enough to easily cover the LENGTH of your crocheted piece so you only need to buy slightly bigger than the WIDTH of your piece. Make sense? That will save you money.

It will really depend on how big the finished product is but I'm thinking YES you should so that she doesn't get all tangled up in the 2 layers. Think safety in everything you do from now on. While you might feel inclined to use buttons like on a pillow, DON'T because baby can swallow them if they come loose or break. Just use some yarn so that it looks normal and not out of place on the front side. Google search "How to tie a quilt" to see what I mean. And frequently check all "ties". If you ever start to see one coming undone, check them ALL and redo them all if you have to.
The fleece side sure will be soft on baby's skin too.

Last edited by SeaHorse; 02-28-2014 at 06:33 PM..
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.