Originally Posted by tommaso889
Hey im an thinking of staring a nano tank with a couple of clown fish but first i have a few questions.
1 what size tank do you think i should for ( uk litres if possible)
2 how much sand a rock would i need for that size tank.
3 how much would it cost (gbp)
4 can i use just a regular fw filter
5 What equiptment do i need
And 1 more thing im only 14 .
1) Whatever size you want
2) 1-2lbs per gallon or rock, either under an inch or over 4 inches for sand depth
3) You could do it for under £300 before stocking. My 60 litre has cost about £200 just at the point where it's ready for fish, but I already had a lot of kit kicking around.
4) NO. Marine and freshwater couldn't be more different if they wanted to be, especially in terms of filtration.
- Powerheads (over 15x the volume of the tank per hour shifted)
- Decent lighting (not just bright!)
- Live sand
- Live rock
- Skimmer (preferable, not necessary)
- Test kits (not dip strips..)
- LOADS of research
One thing I will say is don't rush into it or take it as a walk in the park. Having a tank this size is like having a baby, I wouldn't recommend leaving one for more than a day or two (and that's still with someone with reasonable knowledge of feeding and skimmer cup draining etc).