20G reef tank ideas and questions - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SeaSerpant's Avatar
 
20G reef tank ideas and questions

Definetly some time going to start a 20g reef tank i have a few questions and a plan that i need some input on.

Right now i have a FW 55gal tank. My parameters for that tank are crazy so My concentration's kinda on that right now (nitrate-110 nitrite-56 Ammonia-0.1 hardness-900 ph-7) So that right now is kinda a problem. But for my SW tank i want to get here is what i have. But remember i live in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada so i have different money than the USA and different resources. Here are what i'm thinking of buying. Any problems?

20g Aquarium-45.99$
AquaClear 50 Filter-59.99$
Rio Nano Skimmer-49.99$
Visitherm heater 75watt-44.99$
Koralia Pump-49.99$
Liverock-8.00$ per pound
Hagen light- my brother has one was going to use for his projector 0$
Salt for a 50g-26.59
Arogonite sand?

Fish
2 clowns-22.99$ per fish
RedFire Fish?
Longnosed Hawkfish?
Magenta Dottyback?
Lawnmower Blenny?
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse?
Seahorse?
Don't know what kind of coral

For liverock and sand is there a site that sells this kind of stuff really cheap because i know it would be better to buy it cheap online because it might come with coral or something.

?=don't know

Thanks in Advance
SeaSerpant

55 Gallon Aquarium
1 Black Kuhli Loach
3 Black Skirt Tetras
4 Angelfish (3 Marble, 1 Gold)
1 Glass Fish
2 Blue Sunset Gourami
3 African Dwarf Frog
SeaSerpant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Member
 
For the fish, I would only suggest having 2 clowns and a good amount of inverts (Shrimp, crabs, coral, sea cucs, feather dusters, etc).

You can't put much into a 20 gallon, unfortunatley.
Cody is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Agree with above post. Was going to say the same thing. If you are set on clowns, get 2. You might add a fire fish or lawnmower blenny but understand the clowns may attempt to kill it. No seahorse, they are much to delicate and you need more experience. Seahorse should be kept in seahorse dedicated tanks unless you have the time and resources to keep good notes on the system and tend to the seahorses. Even at that you would only add things like a scooter blenny or small goby. The wrasse are for much larger tanks.

Halogen lights look horrible on salt tanks and add huge amounts of heat, you are thinking of halide. On a 20g mixed reef T5 might be the way to go, maybe 3-4 bulbs. Not sure of where to get rock online in CA. I know of several locals that sell for $2.50 a lb but shipping into CA can be difficult.
caferacermike is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SeaSerpant's Avatar
 
I really like clown fish, is there any way i can get maybe 1 clown fish and some other ones. But if thats the case i might not get the clown fish and some of the other ones. Can you give me the list of what i can get in my tank from my list. and the sites for the live rock, can i have them i want to see if they cost less when i add everything up thanks for the help. Is there anything else that would be a problem? I need all the help i can.

55 Gallon Aquarium
1 Black Kuhli Loach
3 Black Skirt Tetras
4 Angelfish (3 Marble, 1 Gold)
1 Glass Fish
2 Blue Sunset Gourami
3 African Dwarf Frog
SeaSerpant is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
Agree with above post. Was going to say the same thing. If you are set on clowns, get 2. You might add a fire fish or lawnmower blenny but understand the clowns may attempt to kill it. No seahorse, they are much to delicate and you need more experience. Seahorse should be kept in seahorse dedicated tanks unless you have the time and resources to keep good notes on the system and tend to the seahorses. Even at that you would only add things like a scooter blenny or small goby. The wrasse are for much larger tanks.

Halogen lights look horrible on salt tanks and add huge amounts of heat, you are thinking of halide. On a 20g mixed reef T5 might be the way to go, maybe 3-4 bulbs. Not sure of where to get rock online in CA. I know of several locals that sell for $2.50 a lb but shipping into CA can be difficult.
Could I have a link to a website of one of those local stores (if they have one)? A store here sells LR for $9.50 per lb.

SS, I think MattD posted some sort of list in his thread.

Clownfish are the best to go.
Cody is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Cody you'll just have to look around. I used to have a list of about 10 online retailers selling live rock for $2-3.00 a lb. I get it for $0.89 from my wholesaler. Problem with the online is that sooner or later they either become a brick and mortar shop and have to raise their prices or they go out of business. I used to send everyone to Monica at Ocean Homes Etc. but I think she sold her business. You could still try. Check with Ed Prado at Wolf Reef in San Antonio, his everyday price for Fiji is $2.50. He probably would prefer not to ship but tell him caferacer in Austin recommended him and maybe he'd help. I've done a lot of business there. Check Ebay. There are literally hundreds of little vendors selling for cheap online.
caferacermike is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SeaSerpant's Avatar
 
the red fire fish is out but that kind of wrasse is supposidly the best wrasse for small tanks.

55 Gallon Aquarium
1 Black Kuhli Loach
3 Black Skirt Tetras
4 Angelfish (3 Marble, 1 Gold)
1 Glass Fish
2 Blue Sunset Gourami
3 African Dwarf Frog
SeaSerpant is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
Cody you'll just have to look around. I used to have a list of about 10 online retailers selling live rock for $2-3.00 a lb. I get it for $0.89 from my wholesaler. Problem with the online is that sooner or later they either become a brick and mortar shop and have to raise their prices or they go out of business. I used to send everyone to Monica at Ocean Homes Etc. but I think she sold her business. You could still try. Check with Ed Prado at Wolf Reef in San Antonio, his everyday price for Fiji is $2.50. He probably would prefer not to ship but tell him caferacer in Austin recommended him and maybe he'd help. I've done a lot of business there. Check Ebay. There are literally hundreds of little vendors selling for cheap online.
Ok. I check Google. :P

Mike, could I fit any Clownfish in a 12Gallon Nano? I plan on adding a few inverts (Cleaner Shrimp, Emerald Crab, a snail or two and maybe some hermits) if you need to know.

I have been trying to look for a good-priced 20-24 gallon Nano, but if I get "stuck", I will have to use a 12.
Cody is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SeaSerpant's Avatar
 
i don't think you can fit any kind of clownfish but most kinds you can fit in a very small tank. in my lfs they have a 10g tank in the front with 2 maroon clownfish in it.

55 Gallon Aquarium
1 Black Kuhli Loach
3 Black Skirt Tetras
4 Angelfish (3 Marble, 1 Gold)
1 Glass Fish
2 Blue Sunset Gourami
3 African Dwarf Frog
SeaSerpant is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant
i don't think you can fit any kind of clownfish but most kinds you can fit in a very small tank. in my lfs they have a 10g tank in the front with 2 maroon clownfish in it.
Where did you find your 20Gallon tank?
Cody is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting 40g reef tank have some questions Ozai Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 5 11-26-2009 01:17 PM
Moving an Existing Reef Tank / Establishing a New Tank Deltabean Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 7 10-20-2009 03:54 PM
quick reef newb questions Bartman Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 03-20-2009 12:20 AM
Need some "cool" ideas or some new ideas for my tank. brettxw Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 03-12-2009 12:18 PM
My First Reef Tank! (water flow and stocking ideas) aquakid Coral and Reef Creatures 1 02-18-2009 09:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome