Conversation Between Taeanna and Hallyx
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 9 of 9
- I can explain the hows and chemical exchange actions of those chemicals, but not really help people keep them within safe parametres. A lot of the water chemistry parts have passed me by because my own tanks aren't cycled, so my own water experience is down to simply testing and changing water each week...
I will be as much help as I can be and answer anything people ask to the best of my ability though. I'll do some reading into it all tonight so I'm prepared. Since I'm on uni break at the moment it will be good revision.
I didn't want to accidentally give too much info in one post- do you want me to answer those questions? Some are fairly simple to explain and are down to chemical binding points or OH exchanges, others trickier but that' s what makes them fun!
- A great deal more than I do, I would think. But not marine biology, just knowledge of fish-tank water chemistry, like
---how Prime splits chloramine into chlorine and ammonia
---the equilibrium of ammonia <---> ammonium depending on pH
---the difference between KH and GH
---how carbonate and bi-carbonite determine buffering capacity
And stuff. This is nor a test. And I'm not trying to showoff (as if I could).
The forum just lost it's water chemist, and I'm having a hard time carrying his water. I'm trying to see who I can ask for direction, and in what areas.
- It does but I'm no marine biologist. Really it just makes it easy for me to to absorb what people tell me and look for logic leaps in any formulas I/other people use. All biomeds are required to pass several chemistry modules in our course to graduate.
But I do have extensive knowledge of bacterium colonies and similar :D
- I'm sorry if I made you self-conscious. I learned 20 years ago to evaluate online entities if possible. Reading siglines and Visitor Messages (or Googling) is second nature. Please know that we are laughing with you, not at you.
You brought a smile to Jaycee's and my early morning.
- I tend to do that by accident I am afraid. I always assume that more than just one person are monitoring any thread and ashiyawann may not have known and wondered what the debate was about.
I know some may think it is me attempting to be petty or possibly talk down to people, but its just how the university trains us *blush*. We cant even state the sky is blue without three references to prove it.
- Your explanations are very clear and informative, reflecting your background in biomedicine. I, for one, am delighted to have you contributing to the forum.
But you might want to learn to evaluate to whom you're giving an explanation, as in telling jaycee what a Labyrinth organ does. That was charming.
Anyway, your explanation was appreciated by any lurkers who were monitoring that thread. And by me. Glad you're around.