lakemalawifish lakemalawifish is offline
- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
- due to the fact its dark when I get home, Ive been waiting till this weekend to wash the Aragonite/Playsand which I'll be using as a substrate. Canister Filter and HOB are all ready to go and I laid my rockwork last weekend.
I'm thinking of going with a cookie cutter 55 gal setup with the less agressive Mbuna...Yellow Labs of course, with Saulosi (maybe just 2-3 males because I really like the way males look and Im not interested in breeding just yet.
Rusty Cichlids and maybe Rainbow Cichlids or Acei (yellow tail Acei), maybe Red Zebra's
If I can find just males of the species, I think they may get along....but most of the fish are Monomorphic and its like you can't be sure you know what you have till they mature and breed....so most likely I will end up getting 3 species with 4-5 of each species... might be a lil high in numbers but my filtration combined = 700 gallons per hour (topfin 60 HOB filter and Fluval 406 Canister filter) any advise on the species mentioned?
- Pop, thank you for your kind words, they are most appreciated. Lake Malawi fish are my passion and I've been helping Cj with a new setup. It is frustrating when you spend a lot of time with someone and then someone else tries to undo everything and say you're wrong. Then throws in a bunch of mumbo jumbo (which I know some of it is legit but not useful information to most fish keepers and is not even being monitored or documented by the person who wrote it) that confuses the heck out of a newbie. I was going to leave but I have received many nice messages, just like yours, that made me sad to leave. One from a person with a 10 gallon community tank who said she needed my help and please don't leave. We started out with a 10 gal tank with Platies that had babies, that has evolved into 800 gal of water and fish up to 12" in our tanks . I have to remember that there are arrogant know-it-alls everywhere you go and try to just overlook that.
- Total Messages: 4
- Most Recent Message: 12-15-2012 03:40 PM
- Visitor Messages for lakemalawifish
- Last Activity: 01-22-2013 01:11 AM
- Join Date: 11-24-2012
- Referrals: 0
- charlie1881 liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : Rant: Why ask for help if you're not looking for any?Hello, my name is Vivien Bullard. My husband and I live in Joelton TN. I hereby apologize to anyone on this forum who I have offended, whether it be directly or indirectly. I am guilty of not...Liked On: 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Posted On: 12-13-2012, 12:43 PMcharlie1881 liked post by lakemalawifish On thread :charlie1881 liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : Saying Goodbye to GobymonSadly, we are re-homing our 15" Brackish Violet Dragon Goby tomorrow to a nice person with a larger brackish tank. When we got Gobymon, almost a year ago from a teenager, he was about 6" long with...Liked On: 12-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Posted On: 12-13-2012, 03:21 PMfish monger liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : Rant: Why ask for help if you're not looking for any?Honestly, the success or lack of it, I think all boils down to relationships. If you are going to flame somebody, best that you know them because chances are they will still love you in the end...Liked On: 12-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Posted On: 12-13-2012, 10:44 AMSpidykat, just look up Chloramines and give your water company a call. Please continue to give us updates. We really are nice people here, who have good intentions to help others. Sometimes things...Liked On: 12-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 04:28 PMOh wow, here we go... folks try to make your point without being so harsh. This is the main reason why most people leave forums, they get their feelings hurt by someone who is really trying to help...Liked On: 12-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 10:29 AMFound this article on high ammonia levels, here's the link Handling High Ammonia Levels (http://www.beverlyspet.com/fishtalk/Handling%20High%20Ammonia%20Levels.htm) This is pretty informative, I...Liked On: 12-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 01:12 AMI agree with the ph down comment, Angels would be ok with ph at 7.5'ish. Better to have their ph pretty constant than to have it swing back and forth with chemicals and additives. The ph of the...Liked On: 12-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Posted On: 12-11-2012, 09:04 AMpaulprivitera liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : My new 35 gallons Cichlid TankYour son has great choice in his fish selection and so do you! It is habit forming and looks like your son is "hooked" pardon the pun on words. You are such a great daddy to do this for your boy,...Liked On: 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Posted On: 12-10-2012, 08:37 AMIf you put the bio in now and do the water change later, you will just be removing the bio you just put in. Not sure when you did you last water change, but if it has been over 24 hours ago, I would...Liked On: 12-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Posted On: 12-09-2012, 05:08 PMSkeletor18 liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : My new 35 gallons Cichlid TankNice to meet another African fan, we have 800 gals stocked with these beautiful baby's and love them! It is true that African fish keepers recommend overstocking, this is to lessen aggression. If...Liked On: 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Posted On: 12-09-2012, 06:11 PMslojko liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : Filter cleaning helpSo glad when folks add in helpful comments to existing threads, there are so many steps and so much to know that it's very hard for one person to cover everything. Thanks ya'll for having my back :)Liked On: 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Posted On: 12-06-2012, 11:49 AMLadyKeiva liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : Filter cleaning helpAlso, every now and then open the round thing in the lid of the canister, pull out the impeller and scrub it some with a small brush in your tank water bucket, I use an old toothbrush. You can also...Liked On: 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Posted On: 12-05-2012, 09:31 PMpop liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : High nitrates in red devil tankHello Pop, I am not going to call you out on this because I have always been nervous about adding salt to my tanks. Have only done it once at the careful advice of my breeder because it appeared...Liked On: 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Posted On: 12-05-2012, 05:27 PMSamuraifishman liked post by lakemalawifish On thread : Any ideas on what type of algae eaters i can add?Hey there! I am not an algae scientist, to me it's the green stuff in the tank and all tanks get it. I have never had a problem with our Red Tail Shark and our Bristlenose Plecostomus. And, the...Liked On: 12-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Posted On: 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome