lakemalawifish lakemalawifish is offline
- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
- due to the fact its dark when I get home, Ive been waiting till this weekend to wash the Aragonite/Playsand which I'll be using as a substrate. Canister Filter and HOB are all ready to go and I laid my rockwork last weekend.
I'm thinking of going with a cookie cutter 55 gal setup with the less agressive Mbuna...Yellow Labs of course, with Saulosi (maybe just 2-3 males because I really like the way males look and Im not interested in breeding just yet.
Rusty Cichlids and maybe Rainbow Cichlids or Acei (yellow tail Acei), maybe Red Zebra's
If I can find just males of the species, I think they may get along....but most of the fish are Monomorphic and its like you can't be sure you know what you have till they mature and breed....so most likely I will end up getting 3 species with 4-5 of each species... might be a lil high in numbers but my filtration combined = 700 gallons per hour (topfin 60 HOB filter and Fluval 406 Canister filter) any advise on the species mentioned?
- Pop, thank you for your kind words, they are most appreciated. Lake Malawi fish are my passion and I've been helping Cj with a new setup. It is frustrating when you spend a lot of time with someone and then someone else tries to undo everything and say you're wrong. Then throws in a bunch of mumbo jumbo (which I know some of it is legit but not useful information to most fish keepers and is not even being monitored or documented by the person who wrote it) that confuses the heck out of a newbie. I was going to leave but I have received many nice messages, just like yours, that made me sad to leave. One from a person with a 10 gallon community tank who said she needed my help and please don't leave. We started out with a 10 gal tank with Platies that had babies, that has evolved into 800 gal of water and fish up to 12" in our tanks . I have to remember that there are arrogant know-it-alls everywhere you go and try to just overlook that.
- Total Messages: 4
- Most Recent Message: 12-15-2012 03:40 PM
- Visitor Messages for lakemalawifish
- Last Activity: 01-22-2013 01:11 AM
- Join Date: 11-24-2012
- Referrals: 0
- lakemalawifish liked post by Canadian Fish On thread : Rant: Why ask for help if you're not looking for any?I am quickly learning if you are not one of three or four people, there is no reason to even try and help, as my advice will just be overridden, or rebuked. Maybe I just give crappy advice, but this...Liked On: 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Posted On: 12-13-2012, 11:58 AMlakemalawifish liked post by fish monger On thread : Rant: Why ask for help if you're not looking for any?Well, as has been said, it's human nature and it's stronger in some folks than others. Have a read and move on if it bothers you. Our site is a microcosm of society and to expect anything more will...Liked On: 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Posted On: 12-13-2012, 11:19 AMlakemalawifish liked post by pop On thread : Popís opinion stress & phWe are constantly bombarded by concepts that tell us watch ph monitor all possible aspects of our aquariums oh no nitrates are high. Itís so confusing there always something new that could be...Liked On: 12-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 04:19 PMlakemalawifish liked post by fish monger On thread : Just An Observation Since Switching To SandA few months ago, I decided to experiment with a play sand substrate in a ten gallon aquarium. I loved the appearance right away. In a short time, I noticed that plants that would normally uproot if...Liked On: 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Posted On: 12-13-2012, 09:44 AMlakemalawifish liked post by redchigh On thread : my fish keep dying HELPAs mentioned above, bacteria live on surfaces- not the water. I have used "gunk" to cycle a tank. (I vacuumed my tanks lightly, and rinsed all my old filters in a bucket of tank water. After it...Liked On: 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 02:20 PMlakemalawifish liked post by Byron On thread : My new (and first) tank-hints tips etcWith the rainbows, or for that matter any of the egg laying fish, it is better to always have a mix of male and female. Some species require specific ratio of m/f because of their behaviours, but...Liked On: 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 01:34 PMlakemalawifish liked post by Canadian Fish On thread : my fish keep dying HELPI have no idea if this works, I have never tried it. It very well could.I am certainly no expert I would have thought the sponge would have to soak longer. I don't squeeze water out of an established...Liked On: 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 01:24 PMlakemalawifish liked post by Nilet699 On thread : My new (and first) tank-hints tips etcFor the gourami byron I was thinking for the 3 ft tank so the boesmani can go in the 4 ft. And I was actually thinking of having all males in the other tank Malawi- for the reason of Not having...Liked On: 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Posted On: 12-12-2012, 06:20 AMlakemalawifish liked post by Byron On thread : my fish keep dying HELPThis is certainly one possibility. Another is that nitrates occur in his tap water, hence our suggestions for the tap to be tested for all 3. We need to cover all the possibles in order to...Liked On: 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Posted On: 12-11-2012, 06:44 PMlakemalawifish liked post by Smiley Green On thread : What to do with all these fry??I have sold fish on craigslist before, so that is an option. This website also has a forum for selling stuff, so you might want to post a thread in there. Don't know if you were planning on adding...Liked On: 12-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Posted On: 12-10-2012, 04:09 PMlakemalawifish liked post by paulprivitera On thread : My new 35 gallons Cichlid TankThank you all for your feedback. I will for sure consider your suggestions. I should have bought a 55 gal from the first place but now I will try to figure out how to deal with this one and move...Liked On: 12-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Posted On: 12-10-2012, 01:26 AMlakemalawifish liked post by Spidykat On thread : my fish keep dying HELPafrican tanks are amazing the people i live with have one and have electric blues pastel blues, electric green, yellow labs, and now 3 babys.. (petsmart gave me them free so i gave them to her(she...Liked On: 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Posted On: 12-10-2012, 02:52 AMlakemalawifish liked post by RedRaider15 On thread : My new 35 gallons Cichlid TankThis aquarium is kinda on the small side. I would recommend getting a 55 or larger as all of your fish will grow. As they become larger, there will not be enough space for each fish. This will cause...Liked On: 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Posted On: 12-09-2012, 12:42 PMlakemalawifish liked post by Bluewind On thread : my fish keep dying HELPThey told you NOT to do partial water changes?!? That's not right hun! You need to take out some of the water and replace with fresh at least once a week! As long as the replacement water has been...Liked On: 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Posted On: 12-09-2012, 02:40 AMlakemalawifish liked post by jeaninel On thread : Whater changes ...Whats everyone's preferred method?Wow, what a novel this thread has turned into. Lol I have always thought that the reason for adding the conditioner for the full volume of the tank when adding directly to the tank was because the...Liked On: 12-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Posted On: 12-07-2012, 01:43 PMFor the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome