Conversation Between veggiegirl and Catw0man
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 19
- Oh catw0man! I was just looking through the pics of your girls and I love the 'wild and crazy' hm pk girl!!!!! and the fancy black and white girl they are just so amazing!!!!
How are all of your bettas going? Do you ever have troubles will illness going through all of them? Afraid I have had troubles with velvet lately..........
Those girls of yours are making me wish I had time for a sorority, do they all get along okay?
- WOW! Over 100 :) Shame to have to rehome some. I know exactly how you feel, I just cannot look without buying!!!! Sorry to hear about your troubles of fin rot can be a stubborn disease at times. I had a male that had the rot when I bought him and despite so many different meds none made any difference. Even got some decent antibiotics from our local fish vet who really knows his stuff......still no luck. Desperate I tried the only other thing I could think of. I added a PH neutralizer block because my PH is high and added a large indian almond leaf and........ it fixed him!!! and the other betta that he was sharing the divided tank with had the weirdest fin rot I have ever come across, he was looking so bad I was sure he would die but that IAL worked magic! Might not help your guys but thought I would mention it because I was amazed with the results and I had never used it before. If you could get hold of some it might be worth a go :)
- Hey Veggiegirl! Yes, I'm wanting to set up a sorority too...I've already bought a few girls and I'm just waiting to make the space/have the money to buy an bigger tank....might put it in the kitchen or on the one wall of my bedroom that doesn't already have tanks...lol. I think I'm up to over 100 fish now.....starting to get difficult to keep up with them all, so I'm considering rehoming a few of them to some other Canadians I've met online here. Still dealing with some fin rot issues.....a couple of fish have had such a persistent case that I've made no headway in getting rid of it on them and it's very frustrating. I think I just have to not look at Aquabid....if I don't see the fish, then I can't want to buy them, right?
- Hi Catw0man!
How are all of your bettas going? Have you bought any new ones lately? My tanks are full but it is killing me because there is this sweet white and blue dragon marble girl for sale that I would LOVE! she is just a veiltail and has a sort of slightly bent spine but her color is crazy and she is cheap, I only want her for a pet . Trouble is my tanks are full and I would have to start up a sorority if I got her and I really do not have the time for another tank. Trying to resist is physically painful LOL Wish I could have so many more bettas....WANT, WANT, WANT where will this end..............oh how many bettas do you currently have? I hope you and all your fishies are well :)
- Hi Catw0man,
Make that 19, my two new babies are lost in the mail :( I tracked them down to a town that is more than 5 hours away, they were taken way too far past my place :( I feel rather devastated. They were supposed to be shipped back to my trans-shipper last night but I haven't heard anything yet. Will have to start making some phone calls I think. Man this sucks! Sorry your babies have fin rot, think a few of mine have it too.
Anyways have a great day!
- My fishies are pretty good....apart from a bunch of them suddenly developing fin rot. I HATE fin rot!!!! And, it's my own fault since I forgot to change to my "quarantine" siphon when doing water changes and accidentally spread the fin rot to a few tanks before I realized.
Congrats on all your fish! I loved your new ones! You're up to 21!!!! That's awesome.... :)
- Hi Catw0man,
How are all your bettas doing? Guess what I have 21 now! Okay no big deal to you but it is the most I have owned at one time. Two are being shipped today so I cannot wait to pick them up! Only downside......no spare spaces left in my tank and I do not have the time to set up another one and look after it so I cannot buy any more bettas at the moment :( it will be so hard!!! I really must not look @ any for sale otherwise I know I will buy more!
anyways hope you and all of your fishie friends are well :)
- Hey Catw0man,
Yes it is really disheartening when a gorgeous Halfmoon blows their fins. Usually as you mentioned I find that after a while they do tend to get used to each other and settle down but about a week ago two of my HM boys who have been housed next to each other for a couple of months with no problems suddenly decided to 'fight to the death' despite the division between them. I was so sure that they would get over it but after 48 hours of continuous flaring their gorgeous fins were diminished to stumps :( I ended up rearranging them and they seem okay now. I am planning to stick to plakats from now on though with my track record I will probably end up with more long fins at some stage...
- Thanks, Veggiegirl! Congrats on the job at your LFS!
Yes, I do have problems with the halfmoons over-flaring and wrecking their fins. Usually I find most bettas will get used to the other fish around them and gradually stop flaring as much, but this is not always the case. Generally, you can keep fins in better shape by keeping the fish in a smaller amount of water (less swimming around which causes wear and tear on the fins), but then you must do more water changes and I don't think the fish are as happy. So, I've learned to put up with some frayed fins......well, sort of....lol....it's always heartbreaking each time you see a fish has blown his fins.
- Just had a look at your new photos and WOW your fish are so amazing, love them all and especially the handsome fellow that is your avatar. Your tanks look really nice I like the way that you have them set up. I really like those tanks that have the inbuilt lights, they look so cool. I might get a light for my 4 ft barracks some day when I can afford it. Actually I was offered a job last time I walked into our LFS and I took it! My second day tomorrow, I'm so lucky to be able to work with fish :) Lucky they don't sell the fancy varieties of bettas otherwise I would be in trouble.....would probably end up with a hundred or so lol!
Do you ever have troubles with your halfmoons blowing their fins from flaring too much? I have had endless troubles with this lately :( Unfortunately the way my tanks are designed means I cannot block their view of eachother so I have had to do some rearranging and put less aggressive bettas between the aggressive ones.....