Conversation Between sidluckman and Olympia
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 12
- Kamikaze passed yesterday. One day he was fine, the next lethargic, 3 days later gone.
My newest betta, first one I've lost. He was the healthiest thing ever, too. It's hard to understand why fish die, I think he had dropsy or something, lord knows why. He was in the divided tank too and everyone else seems fine but now I'm worried about them...
I'm still a fledgling mod, lol..
- I have two 2.5 gallons, and a 15 gallon split three ways for the betta. I'd love a pair of Betta unimaculata some day, love the mouthbrooders. Hard to find but there was a pair on aquabid going for $45 a while back. No room however.
Right now I've got my eyes on the wrestling halfbeaks the fish store got in, but I'm thinking I'd need a wingless fruit fly culture. Currently saving for a Polypterus palmas which will run me $60. Jeez. Was gonna get a pair of senegalus for cheaper, but quality over quantity. xD
- Floaty is better than not floaty I guess. According to Sandra Bullock "Hope floats!"
Nyuk yuk yuk!
Are all your bettas in little tanks or what? I am (sorry to say) not a huge fan of betta splendens (mostly because of how badly the industry is currently "using" them as a way to suck money away from people who really ought to save up for a "real tank"). But I hope to get into some of the other betta species, like the macrostoma, which in some color morphs is a gorgeous fish. I am also contemplating a tank of Sphaerichthys Vaillanti (Samurai Chocolate gouramis) which are purportedly a bit hardier than the true chocolate. There is only one domestic source I know of, and their reputation is not great. So this plan is temporarily on hold. Oh well-- just gives me that much more time to do my homework and get my act together!
Best wishes to "floaty" for a speedy recovery!
- He's not dead! He's just, lop sided. Betta seem to get sick all the time, all that darned breeding. He's in a tiny tank now. Moved him into a unfiltered tank and he looks a bit better, the other guy got an upgrade and is pleased with himself as well. Silly fish. Juggling them around like this...
- You poor baby! Mysteriously deceased fish always upset the heck out of me. I think: "I'm one of the ones who knows what they're doing! This shouldn't happen to me!"
It's constantly humbling, huh? If our fish knew how talented we are, they would never leave us! Your bettas are so lucky to have you. I kind of hate how the industry is using bettas to get a few bucks out of people who really don't have the means to keep fish the proper way. There are lots of things I try to "turn a blind eye to" when I visit the local LFS or petco. Lots of ugly little aspects to the industry that really need to be addressed in a humane way. The LFS around the corner from where I live actually had tatooed fish for sale! You can be sure I told them what I thought of that!
Sorry about your little guy. Be well!