- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 321
- Hi Olympia,
i saw your post on the nitrogen cycle.
i recently bought supplies to set up my betta fish tank. I also bought a marimo ball from my local pet shop. Since i bought the marimo ball that was already in a fish tank. should i assume it was in a tank that went through the nitrogen cycle? if the store tank did go through the nitrogen cycle, does the marimo ball have the bacteria that is necessary for my tank? If not, does my betta tank have to go through the nitrogen cycle?
i i propagated my marimo ball and there were some small parts that fell off and are starting to decay. I tested the water and there is probably 3-6 ppm of ammonia in a liter of water. Also there was a slight amount of nitrite. can i use this water to obtain the bacteria and then put it in my tank later?
- Sorry for the late reply; I've been a bit tied up. There's no research about why blue bettas are more affected, although I've noticed that trend as well on these forums. I break down a paper on differences in immunity in red and blue betta over in my journal Fins & Things (Posts 12 & 26). Otherwise, just some potential reasons:
1. Blue bettas are genetically weaker/more inbred than red bettas, which are closer to the wild betta. Alternatively, selection for blue bettas somehow makes them more prone to "graphite disease".
2. Numerically speaking, there's more blue bettas in LFS/LPS than any other color. So if a betta gets infected, it's more likely to be a blue betta.
3. Maybe "graphite disease" looks/acts differently in red bettas since they have little iridescence, which is the outermost color layer and therefore also the most affected layer. My hypothesis is myco attacks from the outside in, so the most obvious color changes would occur on the outermost iridescence layer.
- Yeah, they're both little male VT's ^_^
Ooh, good luck on the new apartment! That sounds like a great catch if you can get it
Yeah, I wondered what happened but I do understand about the pressure. It's exhausting doing all this work! And then of course worrying about what to say and what not to say, if I'm going to offend someone. At this point I almost feel like I've turned into jaysee, short and not so sweet diagnoses or messages because sometimes I can't be bothered writing it out 10 million times >.< lol now I know how he felt! well...sort of. Anyway!
- Not sure if you'd be able to help me, but yesterday I went to my local pet store to get a new Betta since one of mine passed away last weekend. While I was there I noticed a female that had a big tummy. I bought her because she's really pretty. Come to find out she is preggo. Any thoughts on what I could do??
- Hi sorry to bother you, but have just posted on a thread in the Betta section and it is called. Emergency case: Please help me. And from the description and image I am concerned it could be Tuberculosis. I have no experience with it, but if that is the case the poster needs to be careful. So just hoping perhaps you could take a look and advise the best course of action. I could be totally wrong.
- About Olympia
- rabbit god, ferret jester, goldfish slave
- Kingston, Ontario
- Organic Agriculture Student
- Total Years Fish Keeping Experience
- 3 - 5
taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
- Just a quick update. No pics this time around. I haven't lost any other fish besides the Roseline Sharks. I'm starting to think it was just an unhealthy batch and not my tank. The Kribensis...Liked On: 08-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Posted On: 08-15-2014, 12:22 PMOlympia liked post by Mikaila31 On thread : Question for all you advanced plantersWell thats one sign. You shouldn't have 0 nitrates with that kinda light or your asking for growth problems. If your dosing all the other fertilizers 'as recommend' your probably lacking across the...Liked On: 08-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Posted On: 08-11-2014, 09:07 PMIt looks as though I have 3 males to 5 females. Plenty of love to go around haha. My Kribensis also laid eggs again. Curious to see how they do this time. Also my two Bolivian Rams, who I...Liked On: 08-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Posted On: 08-09-2014, 10:54 AMOlympia liked post by Agent13 On thread : My Tank Pic'sLovely tank! Yeah.. Cichlids are certainly both hit and miss when mixing but some are just unable to be mixed . Now.. That said it's *possible * to mix keyholes and angels in a 240g but not so...Liked On: 08-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Posted On: 07-30-2014, 09:04 AMOlympia liked post by dancelady On thread : Stupid question: how to make a brackish tank?I love to swim in the ocean, and now you are telling me I need some Marine Salt for my tanks... will head to PetSmart now. But is it possible that I could go out and get some REAL ocean water for...Liked On: 08-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Posted On: 08-02-2014, 10:24 AMOlympia liked post by Poleren On thread : Rant: The Goldfish StereotypeYeah I should have thought that one over a bit more.Liked On: 08-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Posted On: 08-01-2014, 11:44 AMOlympia liked post by Philnominal On thread : 125 gallon oscar tank setup, Advice pleasePim Pictus stay at a size where it would still be tempting for a fully grown oscar. I have heard mixed results on keeping them together. I have personally kept both though not together and just do to...Liked On: 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Posted On: 07-31-2014, 10:13 AMOlympia liked post by Mikaila31 On thread : What gives fish their bright colors?fish display their best color in the most suitable environment. Juvenile fish must also grow into their colors. The top pic is definitely a young fish. Genetics also have an impact on color Posted...Liked On: 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Posted On: 07-30-2014, 08:35 AMOlympia liked post by gh74 On thread : My Tank Pic'sok Here is the way the tank is looking maybe still a little cloudy after water change (http://www.fishlore.com/fishdictionary/w.htm#waterchange) and moving the wood etc have to keep the rocks in...Liked On: 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Posted On: 07-27-2014, 07:10 PMOlympia liked post by Flint On thread : New Aquarium, would like advice!Firstly, welcome to TFK! :wave: I ask that you bear with me here because this post is going to be long! A plant substrate isn't needed to grow plants if you're on a budget. You can use play...Liked On: 07-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Posted On: 07-28-2014, 08:25 AMOlympia liked post by dancelady On thread : Sailfin Molly with a crown?!I have been reading about the red Hawaiian shrimp, Opae ula. What a fantastic shrimp, can live to be 20 yrs. old, doesn't need to have its water changed, and doesn't need much space to live in. And...Liked On: 07-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Posted On: 07-27-2014, 10:39 AMOlympia liked post by aussieJJDude On thread : 29 gallon stockingLOL, I thought you were setting up the tank and had the angel and tetras. Since you have some bottom dwelling fishes already include the fishes I listed above, the tank looks to be at the max IMO....Liked On: 07-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Posted On: 07-26-2014, 07:15 PMOlympia liked post by RSVBiffer On thread : Amazon Blackwater CreekWell a major surprise this morning. Lying in bed when somebody knocked on the front door. It's only the postman with a box of plants. So they are now in and there is... Echinodorus argentinensis...Liked On: 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Posted On: 02-15-2014, 12:20 PMOlympia liked post by jaysee On thread : hi - Plant BeginnerLet's keep it on topic - they want to get their feet wet with plants. Your method for maintaining a tank is not going to help them learn the ropes.Liked On: 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Posted On: 02-11-2014, 06:39 PMOlympia liked post by Chesh On thread : hi - Plant BeginnerHi Vinayak! Welcome to TFK! Looks like you've already gotten some good input here! I second Olympia's suggestion, read those three links she posted for sure! I found that article to be extremely...Liked On: 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Posted On: 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.