- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 417
- I really couldn't tell you knowing that speed. Google chrome works well for me. When I look at the analytics on my websites, I can tell you that 90% of people use IE, 5% google chrome, and the rest is android, apple, and firefox is like .6 %. I switch off between chrome and IE because some sites don't work well with one or the other.
- Thank you, that was his aquabid photo. He actually arrived VASTLY changed, and continues to change. He went from red, black, white, and cello to an almost solid steel blue, but now he is getting quite a lot of red wash in his fins, and he's now decided to develop a cello butterfly band around his fins. He keeps things interesting.
- Byron's thread was an excellent read. I've always enjoyed reading up on the chemistry aspects of the hobby. I find it surprising just how few people really understand the nitrogen cycle. Sad to hear Byron is no longer on the Forums. I personally don't buy into those "bottled bacteria" products. I've never used them, and probably never will.. I'm an "old school" aquarist I guess. But then, I was able to get my current tank from bone dry empty to fully cycled in less than 48 hours without them, so I don't see the advantage to them.
- About Hallyx
- Old fart and proud of it.
- Fungus corners
- Bicycling, weight-lifting and Betta
- Specialist in eclectic endeavor
- Total Years Fish Keeping Experience
- 3 - 5
- NightwishFae liked post by Hallyx On thread : 15 days of cycle still see no nitrites?Yes, exceptions to the contrary notwithstanding, their "associates" are frequently ignorant and ill-trained. I'm talking about the logistical protocols (ordering, shipping, storage). Living bacteria...Liked On: 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Posted On: 01-23-2015, 08:08 AMRomad liked post by Hallyx On thread : Using Ammo-Lock and Bacteria SupplementsYou have the concept basically correct: any foam, floss, media, substrate will accumulate cycling bacteria. The question is, how much. This is a judgment call based on experience. A fundamental...Liked On: 01-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Posted On: 01-03-2015, 06:32 PMThat sounds like a reasonable approach. Two things: --Do not replace any filter media unless it's falling apart. That's where much of the nitrifying bacteria live. --I always use Prime...Liked On: 09-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Posted On: 09-21-2014, 10:08 PMAll good advice from Tolak -- as usual. Just a small detail: Prime locks ammonia into a molecule that Seachem calls ammonia/Prime complex, which is harmless to livestock. This molecule decays...Liked On: 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Posted On: 09-21-2014, 02:52 AMrsskylight04 liked post by Hallyx On thread : Fishless cycle- Ammonia is over 8 PPM!!!Good one, Pop. Great attitude adjustment. Recently, a new keeper finishing her first cycle blew me away with this insight. Bacteria happens !Liked On: 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Posted On: 05-20-2014, 04:12 AMjaysee liked post by Hallyx On thread : Filter Cartridges in Cheap FiltersI just don't trust dollar-store or auto-parts sponges. You never know where they've been ... or with whom.Liked On: 05-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Posted On: 05-03-2014, 07:06 AMkeepsmiling liked post by Hallyx On thread : Help with cycling advice please!To answer your twice-asked question. Stresscoat and AmmoLock both treat ammonia the same way as does Prime. It locks it up so it's not dangerous to your stock and releases it slowly over a day or so....Liked On: 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Posted On: 05-03-2014, 05:26 AMjaysee liked post by Hallyx On thread : The Overstock ProjectWhen a tank is cycling, the bacteria grow first and fastest where they are exposed to the most nutrients in the shortest time. That's not necessarilly the optimum distribution. There are other...Liked On: 03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Posted On: 03-28-2014, 07:35 AMcarlos puron liked post by Hallyx On thread : stocking questionHehehee.... get used to it. It's what fishkeeping is all about. "I don't keep fish. I keep water. Water keeps fish." ~~Mr Vampire, young Betta breederLiked On: 03-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Posted On: 03-23-2014, 12:32 PMundertheseagirl01 liked post by Hallyx On thread : Kordon's AmQuel Plus good?Both Prime and Amquel Plus use sodium thiosulfate to break chloramine into chlorine and ammonia. They both then eliminate the chlorine and bind the ammonia (using the same chemical, I think). ...Liked On: 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Posted On: 03-20-2014, 07:30 AMrsskylight04 liked post by Hallyx On thread : Water level spikes in my tank? High levels of AmmoniaThis sounds like the same problem that Carlos Puron had. If you can find his thread, you can learn a lot from it.Liked On: 03-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Posted On: 03-21-2014, 02:38 PMsprmankalel liked post by Hallyx On thread : If you only had to choose 2...After all that, you've chosen what I think is the best alternative. If you're going to replace them every 6-months, get the cheapest you can. I find they'll go a year before a noticeable decline in...Liked On: 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Posted On: 03-19-2014, 09:31 AMFlear liked post by Hallyx On thread : Ridiculous lfs advice!You know how finicky and pedantic I can be, so.... All animals have hormones. They stay in the body and regulate systems. All animals produce pheromones and alimones. These are broadcast into...Liked On: 03-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Posted On: 03-15-2014, 06:46 AMRO stands for Reverse Osmosis which removes all impurities and minerals from the sourcewater. You then need to replace the minerals that have been removed and adjust the hardness and pH to your...Liked On: 03-12-2014, 05:20 AM
Posted On: 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.