- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 340
- Just to let you know, our Marinland Eclipse Hex5 is fully cycled now. It took two weeks of no W/C's, our betta (Stormy), Prime and TSS. So, a fish-in cycle does work, but only as stated by those that have done it........."if it's done right" and we done it right!
I just think that people shouldn't be discouraged to do the "fish-in" cycling if done with their fish, TSS or QuickStart. I was given great advice, took it and it worked for us.
- To be honest Hallyx no, I never intended to totally dis someone else's view especially someone who then claimed to look to this site for advise. I still do to concerning Betta's even with my knowledge. At the same time, the other person did not want to drop the issue either, even now. Next time I will have to try and be more diplomatic in how I add my advise so not to offend someone else. I will still be around. lol
- I can explain the hows and chemical exchange actions of those chemicals, but not really help people keep them within safe parametres. A lot of the water chemistry parts have passed me by because my own tanks aren't cycled, so my own water experience is down to simply testing and changing water each week...
I will be as much help as I can be and answer anything people ask to the best of my ability though. I'll do some reading into it all tonight so I'm prepared. Since I'm on uni break at the moment it will be good revision.
I didn't want to accidentally give too much info in one post- do you want me to answer those questions? Some are fairly simple to explain and are down to chemical binding points or OH exchanges, others trickier but that' s what makes them fun!
- It does but I'm no marine biologist. Really it just makes it easy for me to to absorb what people tell me and look for logic leaps in any formulas I/other people use. All biomeds are required to pass several chemistry modules in our course to graduate.
But I do have extensive knowledge of bacterium colonies and similar :D
- About Hallyx
- Old fart and proud of it.
- Fungus corners
- Bicycling, weight-lifting and Betta
- Specialist in eclectic endeavor
- Hallyx liked post by AmyP1985 On thread : stocking questionThanks both. I've only added 3ppm because we decided to stock slowly just to make sure all was ok for the fish and thought it would be good for the boys to get more than one trip to the aquatic...Liked On: 03-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Posted On: 03-06-2014, 01:38 AMIf you are dosing ammonia at 4ppm, you can add your entire stock at once. Posted via Mobile DeviceLiked On: 03-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Posted On: 03-06-2014, 01:11 AMHallyx liked post by Agent13 On thread : stocking questionI'm sure someone who's had fish tanks for 30 yrs can get stuck in outdated fishkeeping practices. I remember when I started how shockingly common they were. I was young and my parents luckily steered...Liked On: 03-05-2014, 05:41 AM
Posted On: 03-04-2014, 08:48 AMYeah, lots of things can kill fish if overused. What if i put 50 pounds of gravel in a 10 gal tank, leaving no room for water or fish? What if i dumped a full jar of fish flakes in the tank? What...Liked On: 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Posted On: 03-04-2014, 11:48 AMHallyx liked post by FishyFishy89 On thread : tank "spiking"I just found this thread. My conclusion, the OP seems to be nothing but a troll. Really. I've been there and done the whole "self sustaining" aquarium when I was younger. My brother was into...Liked On: 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Posted On: 03-03-2014, 11:57 PMLol.. I thought you'd at least pretend to have a reason for a "method" haha To be honest I like this honest answer most(doesnt mean i'll back this approach but high five for being honest ) Btw...Liked On: 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Posted On: 03-03-2014, 06:09 PMHonestly, undergravel filters are breeding ground for bad bacteria. They also require much more work to keep clean and will collect uneaten food and waste which will harm your water quality. I have...Liked On: 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Posted On: 03-04-2014, 08:32 AMHallyx liked post by jentralala On thread : stocking questionWell, if you haven't set it up with fish yet, you could always change the gravel for sand. I think 3 would be fine too, if you got a m/f/f trio. 3 Honeys, 8 Neons, and 5 Pandas. I do agree...Liked On: 03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Posted On: 03-03-2014, 02:01 PMbob does make a good point though. SMALL water changes are as bad as no water changes at all. Since i started communicating with you good people here at tfk, ive increased the amount of water changed...Liked On: 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Posted On: 03-03-2014, 01:17 PMHallyx liked post by rsskylight04 On thread : Cycling advicePrime also nuetralizes metals, stimulates slime coat... great stuff! Its the only chemical I'll add to my tanks. Nitrate rising with no increase in nitrite or ammonia is very good. Nitrite is still...Liked On: 03-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Posted On: 03-02-2014, 12:28 PMIs that what petsmart tells you to do ? I should for fun read up on their suggestions . I know they tell people to put bearded dragons on sand.. Or even worse .. Calcium sand. Which kills dragons ....Liked On: 03-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Posted On: 03-03-2014, 12:38 PMLet's not forget that most aquariums have much higher density of fish per gallon than most natural systems. Plus disease, low oxygen levels, and algae blooms are a normal part of natural systems that...Liked On: 03-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Posted On: 03-02-2014, 10:59 PMHallyx liked post by Mikaila31 On thread : tank "spiking"Most lakes and rivers have larger ground water inputs then rainwater. But lakes can vary depending on region and elevation. Typically more acidic conditions in heavily rainwater fed locations,...Liked On: 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Posted On: 03-02-2014, 01:27 PMThere are the lakes in Chile. A large desert near the pacific with lakes and no rain . Hoowweevverr.. I'm pretty certain they don't support fish life .. Or hardly even plant life. Sent from...Liked On: 03-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Posted On: 03-02-2014, 11:52 AMHallyx liked post by Austin On thread : softening waterWell I think vallisneria uses bicarbonates as part of its carbon source so that would theoretically lower KH.... Although since more carbon dioxide could be dissolved to produce bicarbonate, not sure...Liked On: 03-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Posted On: 03-01-2014, 08:50 PM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.