- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 491 to 500 of 1193
- oh sorry,aqnubias, oriental swords, and money wort, all old. the new plants is anarcharis, it was a suggested plant species in the plant thread :/ and I added a moss ball.
he doesn't tail bite, the triangle was the result of the heal up, it didn't start as a triangle. and I've watched him day and night and when he thinks I'm not looking and everything else and it's not his personality either ;-;
I've used the salt before with no upsets, it's fresh water, API.
the light came with the tank kit, and had never given me issues.
he never really colored up from the pet store,
first they were almost black, then bright blue, then pale dull blue, color, just no luster. on the salt his fins unclamped and started to get lustrous and flowy. some darkish color around the edges, I think there's some in the pic I sent you. it's similar to that.
when I took him off the salt it started back though.
- He may be tail biting.....you don't want to add salt with the plants since some species can be sensitive....what kind of plants-are you sure they are true aquatic-dead/dying plants can pollute the water pretty fast causing high ammonia and other bad bacteria to thrive---either they are not true aquatic or the salt or the wrong type of lights...are the Bettas fin tips discolored, crusty, curled...etc.....
- the new plants had been in QT while I was doing the salt.they smelled a bit bad so I rinsed them really well&got all the dead bits out till they smelled fine&then kept rinsing&added really hot water&did this several more times.I then added in the healthy ones&removed the dying bits of the old ones&went to cleaning out the debri.
since the tank is cycled&heavily planted I went back to a 50 every few days.
today I noticed the fin rot,as described up top.I added a tablespoon of salt immediately and went to getting a vase ready as a temporary QT space till I can get a 1 gallon tank. after I got that done I put the mouth in the water and let him swim into it and gently moved it up so he couldn't swim back out. but he didn't like the vase, and after some time to see if he'd chill out, I gave up and let him swim back out into the five gal so he wouldn't stress himself to death... my dad's going to bring a 1 gal home with him from work in a few hours.
- what happened with the fin rot:
when I first brought him home he had a plastic plant, it was a soft one, I made sure, but the next day he had a tail cut, so I took it out and treated his tail with FW AQ salt.
it grew back except for a TINY triangle that wouldn't go.
after the tank got cycled I didn't change the water as much and the current got a little strong when some water evaporated. this tore the rip back open from the little triangle. so after that I was more careful with the current and I treated it again for a longer period. it went back to the triangle and refused to heal any more, but it didn't look like a cut this time so much as a funny shape on the fin, so I thought maybe that's just had it decided to grow back. ( it had been a week ) the plants were dying, so I removed the salt,
- 5 Gallon
every day 50% when I was trying to heal the first rip,
when it healed I added the plants, did a few 50's,
didn't do one a few days since it's cycled and heavily planted,
got up today and his tail had a tear, a corner gone like it already did where it had healed, and pin hole tears,
temp 76 or higher ( higher right now )
- Need more information-what size tank, how much/often on the water changes, temp, filter, additives-what kind of plants-timeline of adding plants to fin rot-cause of the first fin rot to start...etc....usually adding aquatic plants will not cause the problem and killing germs...well....not sure I understand what you are wanting since a sterile environment will not support life as we know it..have you made a new thread on this with pic...that would help....
- Hi OldFishLady ^-^;
do you know a good way to rid a tank of germs without killing the cycle bacteria?
my betta was getting over fin rot and he seemed to have healed up and I added some plants in and it came back worse ><
I've put him in a half gallon clean glass vase till I can get a 1 gallon tank, and have added half a teaspoon of salt. ( told to make it a full teaspoon after two days )
I'm hoping this will fix him up but I want to make sure his tank is c;lean before I add him back. do you have advice? ^-^; thankyou as always <3