I have had many small tanks (30) and just volunteered to help my daughter's school with their very large tank in the main lobby.
I think it is beyond my capabilities and wanted some advice.
It's a large tank (larger then a 55) using a Eheim professional II filter system. (I have only used outside filters with my smaller tanks) so already I am not comfortable handling/cleaning this filter system.
2. I do not think the fish are compatible - I have only had community fish - neons etc.
- this tank has 2 very large red hook Silver Dollar
,1 Jack Dempsey
( I think), 1 gold gourami, 1 kissing fish
total of 5 fish.
3. the algae is VERY bad - the intakes are clogged. (but since I have not been around a canister system-
I am not sure how to attempt cleaning the tubes - need help.
4. best place to get some rock/wood for hiding places for the fish? there are zero decorations/plants.
5. Best way to clean the hood/cover which has lots of build up? mineral
I do not know any local fish stores that would help me. (I just moved from NH to Mass- looking online I see that many store reviews are not positive about asking stores for help).
Since I am volunteering to help with this school tank, does anyone have advice on
1. the fish being ok together, if not who would I contact to perhaps take some of the fish so I can make it compatible?
2. approximate cost of having someone come into the school and clean the filter system / tank?
Once the tank is in better shape (tubes cleaned, algae scraped... and I know more about the canister I think I'll be able to maintain it but right now it's a mess and I am not knowledgeable/comfortable with tank, I really want to get this tank back into the best possible condition.
Thanks for any advice!