Red Velvet Swordtails ?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Livebearers » Red Velvet Swordtails ?

Red Velvet Swordtails ?

This is a discussion on Red Velvet Swordtails ? within the Livebearers forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> I've been looking for a trio of Red Velvet Swordtails and don't find them anywhere in my LFS. Do they still exist or am ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Sailfin Molly
Sailfin Molly
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Red Velvet Swordtails ?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
 
Red Velvet Swordtails ?

I've been looking for a trio of Red Velvet Swordtails and don't find them anywhere in my LFS.
Do they still exist or am I in the past?
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
 
HMlairy's Avatar
 
They don't seem to be in my 'aquarium fish handbook", and there is a huge range of red swordtails in it.
HMlairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMlairy View Post
They don't seem to be in my 'aquarium fish handbook", and there is a huge range of red swordtails in it.
Maybe the 'velvet' got dropped over time. But you do see reds, right? I'm not seeing/finding any red swordtails except for some red wag swordtails.
I'd like a trio of bright red swordtails and I'm still looking.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
 
Red Velvet Swordtail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedVelvetSword_Male.jpg (3.1 KB, 49 views)
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
They're still around. I've seen them at some of the LFS near me.
jeaninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
 
buckmanrules's Avatar
 
Red Velvet Swordtails are just called Velvet Swords. They are the number one selling sword. I grow them like crazy on my fish farm. Mine are dark red. Some imports are more toward vermillion (orange-red). Photo from wholesale supplier's site.

http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.cf...s-helleri.html

Last edited by buckmanrules; 04-15-2011 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: add link to photo
buckmanrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanrules View Post
Red Velvet Swordtails are just called Velvet Swords. They are the number one selling sword. I grow them like crazy on my fish farm. Mine are dark red. Some imports are more toward vermillion (orange-red). Photo from wholesale supplier's site.
Sure would like a trio, but I'll be patient.
Do you sell through Segrest Farms?... I see they deal with a place in Auburn and a couple of places in Syracuse - I'll check it out next time I'm up there.

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 04-22-2011 at 02:27 PM..
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
 
buckmanrules's Avatar
 
Segrest is a wholesale supplier to pet shops. Basically THE middleman in the tropical fish business. I sell to them. I grow the fish...they sell the fish. I would be pleased to sell you a nice dark red adult trio of velvet swords. The prob is the shipping. I think the last time I sent anything US postal service flat rate priority box it was about $15.00 with packing materials and such. Whats a fair price for the fish? With shipping your cost gets up there to like $7 a fish. Let me know. I could get them to you if interested.

Part of the problem with all swordtails right now is that almost every farmer in Florida was wiped out in December when we had record cold. There are not many swords,platys or mollies available from the US market right now and to import from asia drives the pruice of the fish up high.
buckmanrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanrules View Post
Segrest is a wholesale supplier to pet shops. Basically THE middleman in the tropical fish business. I sell to them. I grow the fish...they sell the fish. I would be pleased to sell you a nice dark red adult trio of velvet swords. The prob is the shipping. I think the last time I sent anything US postal service flat rate priority box it was about $15.00 with packing materials and such. Whats a fair price for the fish? With shipping your cost gets up there to like $7 a fish. Let me know. I could get them to you if interested.

Part of the problem with all swordtails right now is that almost every farmer in Florida was wiped out in December when we had record cold. There are not many swords,platys or mollies available from the US market right now and to import from asia drives the pruice of the fish up high.
Thank-you for your offer and I may very well contact you. I need to wait now until I get my 60g stable/under control. It's fairly new (as are the fish) and two Mollies came down with what at first I thought was ick, but now I think some fungus (they were constantly pestered by the male and I'm thinking his 'attentions' interfered with their slime coat) so they're out in another tank now and I'm in wait 'n see for the 60g.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
 
i have

We have them at my work petz place in Goodyear arizona
AquaticPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new Swordtails joepythons Freshwater Journals 5 10-22-2009 01:58 PM
Swordtails peterman Livebearers 4 03-06-2009 01:56 PM
Swordtails? Matty_808 Livebearers 2 06-15-2007 09:42 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.