preg molly or poorly male please help?!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Livebearers » preg molly or poorly male please help?!

preg molly or poorly male please help?!

This is a discussion on preg molly or poorly male please help?! within the Livebearers forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> is this a pregnant female or a poorly male? i bought this molly about 5-6 weeks ago and i am a little worried. The ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Guppy
Guppy
Platy
Platy
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
preg molly or poorly male please help?!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
 
Exclamation preg molly or poorly male please help?!

is this a pregnant female or a poorly male? i bought this molly about 5-6 weeks ago and i am a little worried. The man in the shop said he thoght it was pregnant as it was a little bloated. On closer inspection it looks like a male due to the pointed anal fin (also thought it could be a female that had had its fins chewed a bit.) its scales also seem a bit weird they stick out round its belly and are a bit discoloured. i will attach some pics. thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00400-20120510-0108.jpg (43.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00396-20120510-0106.jpg (53.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00401-20120510-0108.jpg (46.9 KB, 26 views)
ellespencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
 
Misomie's Avatar
 
I don't know much about livebearers, but it could be sick. :/

The protruding scales is often a sign of internal parasites. They eyes, they seem a little pop-like to me... Do the eyes look like they want to pop out of its head? (if so your fish is definately sick)
Misomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
 
txO4's Avatar
 
The yellow one looks male to me with the gonopodium.
I agree, he looks ill. How much and what have you been feeding? Water parameters?
txO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by txO4 View Post
The yellow one looks male to me with the gonopodium.
I agree, he looks ill. How much and what have you been feeding? Water parameters?
i feed them natural tropical fish flake 3-4 times a day, just a pinch and they have defrosted bloodworm maybe once twice a week. the water is fine i checked the amonia and nitrate the other day and they were both 0mg. none of the other fish look like this and this one was bloated slightly when i got it from the shop and seemed to be getting worse so it was already ill. can my other fish catch it and should i take it out the tank?
ellespencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
 
txO4's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellespencer View Post
i feed them natural tropical fish flake 3-4 times a day, just a pinch and they have defrosted bloodworm maybe once twice a week. the water is fine i checked the amonia and nitrate the other day and they were both 0mg. none of the other fish look like this and this one was bloated slightly when i got it from the shop and seemed to be getting worse so it was already ill. can my other fish catch it and should i take it out the tank?
I am pretty sure your fish obtained the illness 'dropsy' from your LFS. It is caused by improper diet, temperature fluctuation, bad water conditions and overcrowding, as well as no real known cause is some instances. It can also be accompanied by Pop-Eye, which your fish may have based from your 3rd pic they look kind of swollen.
It's a dangerous buildup of internal pressure, that can be caused from parasites among other things.
I would start treating with some meds and quarantine him from your other fish. Although, meds aren't a sure fire cure, as dropsy is a very tough disease for a fish to survive.

Last edited by txO4; 05-12-2012 at 04:48 AM..
txO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by txO4 View Post
I am pretty sure your fish obtained the illness 'dropsy' from your LFS. It is caused by improper diet, temperature fluctuation, bad water conditions and overcrowding, as well as no real known cause is some instances. It can also be accompanied by Pop-Eye, which your fish may have based from your 3rd pic they look kind of swollen.
It's a dangerous buildup of internal pressure, that can be caused from parasites among other things.
I would start treating with some meds and quarantine him from your other fish. Although, meds aren't a sure fire cure, as dropsy is a very tough disease for a fish to survive.
thankyou for your help i will get some meds today, will this disease be painful for the fish?
ellespencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
 
txO4's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellespencer View Post
thankyou for your help i will get some meds today, will this disease be painful for the fish?
I'm not really sure if fish can feel 'pain' like we do, but they would probably feel very uncomfortable at the least. I've heard dropsy is one of the more serious diseases, but I've had the fortune to keep it out of my tanks (knock on wood). I've heard of using Epsom salt to help expel fluid buildup along with raising the temp a few degrees. But not to use meds during this method. If nothing else, a lot of aquarists say to just put the fish out of it's misery because it is such a difficult illness to rid. Not the thing you want to hear because if you are like me, and love your every fish in every tank, it's too hard to give up on the little guys

At least wait for some more opinions before doing anything drastic :)
txO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
 
definatley dropsy. Not a nice disease at all, and to be honest in my experience when they look like yours does they have gone past treatment. hope all goes well, let us know
mattfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
 
and just to let you know thats a platy lol. A bumblbee platy by the looks of him. Its a male
mattfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
 
Misomie's Avatar
 
Yeah, my fish caught dropsy (after a swap over to a new tank, I think they caught it because they got out of the bag before they were fully acclimated) and it destroyed my entire Tiger barb school. My Rosy Barb caught it also but the treatment worked on him and prevented anyone else from getting it. :/ It's a nasty disease but can be treated early on so I'd start treating your other fish just in case.
Misomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how long should my swordtail be preg for??? jenilee Livebearers 5 10-04-2011 07:23 PM
Male molly Display thefishboy Livebearers 5 12-19-2010 03:49 PM
Help dalmation molly poorly alisonwaring Tropical Fish Diseases 7 02-21-2010 09:07 PM
My female Molly seems scared of my new male Molly sdcindy Livebearers 3 03-12-2007 12:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.