I am a beginner/intermediate aquarist and just upgraded from a 10 gal to a 75 gallon tank. I have 3 swords (male (black hi-fin) and two females (one black hi-fin and one red velvet wag); don't ask!)) that I transferred to the new tank. I like swords and the big tank really shows off their colors and swimming, but I am not sure how best to integrate more swords or other livebearers into a large community tank. A couple of things about my interests and concerns:
1. I have no particular interest in breeding
2. I like swords, but I wouldn't mind having mollies and plattys as well, but don't know how their behavior would compare
3. I don't want guppies
4. I don't want more than 5 to 7 livebearers in the tank and I already have 3 swords
5. I am only going to have about 5 or 6 species in this tank (with two large schooling groups and no cats except an algae eater)
6. I've been thinking about a red velvet wag pair (making 3 wags) and another black hi-fin female, resulting in 6 swords - two males and 4 females.
7. Can I have two male swords in the same tank without fighting?
8. The swords are very aggressive eaters, and I am concerned that more than 3 swords could make it hard for others to eat.
Thanks for any advice you may have.