Is my guppy a bully? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Is my guppy a bully?

I have a male fancy guppy named "Zippy" in a tank with 2 mollies and 3 platys (he had a guppy friend once upon a time). He is ALWAYS chasing the platys (all male) around the tank, especially "Argo" who is twice his size, and nipping at his size.

Is this normal fish antics or is my guppy a bully?
Dveha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Member
 
djembekah's Avatar
 
I don't have a ton of livebearer experience, but he might be lonely for other guppies. it could be worth a shot to add a few more guppies. what size is the tank?

hopefully a person more experienced with livebearers will pop in and add their two cents :)

~bekah
i like fish and piercings and yarn
http://freshwaterfish.tumblr.com
i <3 snails
55 gallon planted journal

ukuleles djembes and happiness
djembekah is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
I don't have a ton of livebearer experience, but he might be lonely for other guppies. it could be worth a shot to add a few more guppies. what size is the tank?

hopefully a person more experienced with livebearers will pop in and add their two cents :)
I had another guppy but he did not survive. Somehow his tailfin sustained damage and he could not swim anymore.
Dveha is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Male guppy's are bully's. So your guppy is acting like a guppy . He will always do that. My kids have had 3 Fancy male guppys in their shrimp tank for something like a yr or maybe longer. They bully each other . They go nippy crazy and spin in a circle together(kinda looks like a merry-go-round) till a plant get in the way and then they chill out. They best way to keep him from being too aggressive is give him plants and hides to investigate..and they enjoy a high flow so if you dont have a nice high flow area you may want to find a way to create one. It's entertainment they need.
Agent13 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Agent13 For This Useful Post:
Dveha (08-06-2013)
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
Male guppy's are bully's. So your guppy is acting like a guppy . He will always do that. My kids have had 3 Fancy male guppys in their shrimp tank for something like a yr or maybe longer. They bully each other . They go nippy crazy and spin in a circle together(kinda looks like a merry-go-round) till a plant get in the way and then they chill out. They best way to keep him from being too aggressive is give him plants and hides to investigate..and they enjoy a high flow so if you dont have a nice high flow area you may want to find a way to create one. It's entertainment they need.
Thanks. I worry that he is stressing out my other fish with his antics. I don't have a planted tank and he doesn't seem to care a bit about my fake ones lol.
Dveha is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dveha View Post
Thanks. I worry that he is stressing out my other fish with his antics. I don't have a planted tank and he doesn't seem to care a bit about my fake ones lol.
He very well might be. I wasn't saying they like or care about the plants. It just gets in their way when they try to harass others(which helps). I'm 90% certain my kids guppies do not care at all about the plants. They just like to ride the "filter flow roller coaster", eat, and harass each other.
Agent13 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
He very well might be. I wasn't saying they like or care about the plants. It just gets in their way when they try to harass others(which helps). I'm 90% certain my kids guppies do not care at all about the plants. They just like to ride the "filter flow roller coaster", eat, and harass each other.
How do I tell if it is pissing off or stressing out the other fish?
Dveha is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Member
 
RackinRocky's Avatar
 
Clamped fins will mean the fish is unhappy because of bullying, or hiding a lot. My male guppies play tag, but they're never mean to each other. The one that was too rough was taken out and moved to a community tank (no other guppies) and he's perfectly happy.

10 gallon- 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 female betta.

20 gallonH - 1 Peacock Gudgeon, 2 Skunk Cories, 1 Sparkling Gourami. , one male betta, 2 nerite snails.

55 gallon - 3 Turquoise Rainbows, 1 Boesemani Rainbow, 2 Australian Rainbow, 4 Gold Dust mollies, 1 L. Dorsigera, 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 1 Honey Gourami, 3 Cherry barb, 1 Koi Angelfish, 4 female betta.
RackinRocky is offline  
Reply

Tags
bully , guppy , platy

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guppy bully! RnStudent Livebearers 3 08-20-2012 06:51 AM
male guppy being a bully daquilajmd Livebearers 5 04-11-2009 11:09 AM
Swordtail bully Sucidemonkey Livebearers 2 01-20-2009 07:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome