My fish are showing signs of Ich and Whirling... - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
I didn't look at your tank, and just did. I see the cats, and crab, and like GweninNM says, be careful if you use chem. treatments. It should say on the meds whether you can use with inverts. and scaleless fishes. Sorry
jsagrav is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagrav View Post
I agree with the natural approach, but if it doesn't work, try Kordon's rid-ich plus. I am not getting paid for this endorsement, but I have been in your situation, and found it worked for me. I add salt, since the livebearers seem to do well with it, and it seems to keep down the ich, but I have found I usually get ich after buying new fish. One thing nice about mollies and platties, once they started breeding I haven't had to buy anymore!

Thank you I always get ich after buying new fish!! Its been a few months since I bought a new fish....I talked to the breeder I buy my fish from and she said she is have a huge problem with it right now too and cant figure out why....we live in the same area could be the weather affecting our well water? It has been unseasonably warm here.
fishcrazy1824 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagrav View Post
I didn't look at your tank, and just did. I see the cats, and crab, and like GweninNM says, be careful if you use chem. treatments. It should say on the meds whether you can use with inverts. and scaleless fishes. Sorry
Ok, I will def check. Hopefully the natural approach works and I won't have to worry about it
fishcrazy1824 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
[quote=GwenInNM;1026496]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy1824 View Post


It kind of depends on what type of fish you have, some are more sensitive to salt and high temps, like loaches and catfish types, but you need to add more salt. I've heard it's a tsp per gallon. Also your temps can go higher, most fish can tolerate that, but do it slowly. When I treated ich that way, I had my tank up to 85 and the fish did fine

gwen
Its my catfish that I'm worried about but I will add more salt...its easy enough to do a quick water change if they start acting out of sorts. I will also raise my tanks temp some more...thank you I was afraid to add too much or go too high as this is my first time trying this approach but you are right. I will be very careful and watch them like a hawk!
fishcrazy1824 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
[quote=fishcrazy1824;1026511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post

Its my catfish that I'm worried about but I will add more salt...its easy enough to do a quick water change if they start acting out of sorts. I will also raise my tanks temp some more...thank you I was afraid to add too much or go too high as this is my first time trying this approach but you are right. I will be very careful and watch them like a hawk!

Just add the salt slowly. But you will not kill the ich without a higher dosage. Best of luck. It's a drag to have to put fish through it, but the ich is also bad, so you have to.

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
[quote=GwenInNM;1026517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy1824 View Post

Just add the salt slowly. But you will not kill the ich without a higher dosage. Best of luck. It's a drag to have to put fish through it, but the ich is also bad, so you have to.

Gwen
thanks
fishcrazy1824 is offline  
Reply

Tags
ich , molly , whirling

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish showing signs of Ich. Please Help! JordynMurdock Tropical Fish Diseases 2 01-03-2012 06:57 PM
New Baby Fish!! They keep Showing Up!! jonny steele Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 01-02-2011 11:51 AM
Showing signs of ICH MickeyBoy216 Tropical Fish Diseases 0 06-17-2009 06:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome