is my fish pregnant or something else - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Question is my fish pregnant or something else

Hi,

Please help, I got this fish yesterday and the staff didnt know what was wrong, it looks like she is pregnant ( i think it is a she), but I am not sure. It is supposed to be a platy??... Please let me know I need to make certain changes if so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032612 004.jpg (33.6 KB, 30 views)
pvallejo31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
New Member
 
Its hard to tell from this angle...could just be a balloon version. Although I don't know for certain if Platys come in balloon form. If you look at her from the back is she squared off? I'm pretty sure having looked at this pic upclose that your fish is just a balloon platy. I don't have platys but they are similar to molllys which I do have.... When my mollys are pregnant the bulging belly is usually more towards the tail...but its always better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on her for a few days...if shes prego she will pop soon. Gestation is 6wks and that is a biggg belly!!
fishcrazy1824 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy1824 View Post
Its hard to tell from this angle...could just be a balloon version. Although I don't know for certain if Platys come in balloon form. If you look at her from the back is she squared off? I'm pretty sure having looked at this pic upclose that your fish is just a balloon platy. I don't have platys but they are similar to molllys which I do have.... When my mollys are pregnant the bulging belly is usually more towards the tail...but its always better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on her for a few days...if shes prego she will pop soon. Gestation is 6wks and that is a biggg belly!!

Ok here is another picture this is what looks to me like fry...but I am not sure , maybe it is a balloon platy...if anyone can help please let me know...took forever to get this picture lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03262012 007.jpg (14.4 KB, 26 views)
pvallejo31 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Well... first off that's not a platy, its a ballon Molly.

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayy For This Useful Post:
fishcrazy1824 (03-26-2012)
post #5 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Well... first off that's not a platy, its a ballon Molly.

ok balloon molly, i am new to this, so i am just trying to find out if the fish is going to have babies or he /she is supposed to look like they are going to pop...i was told she was a platy by where i got her...again i am a newbie...i did put question marks as to what she was because I am Not Sure... Please help...
pvallejo31 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvallejo31 View Post
ok balloon molly, i am new to this, so i am just trying to find out if the fish is going to have babies or he /she is supposed to look like they are going to pop...i was told she was a platy by where i got her...again i am a newbie...i did put question marks as to what she was because I am Not Sure... Please help...
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean. I was just trying to clear things up. I can't tell from the picture if its a male or female. I'm going to teach you how. If the anal fin is flat like a fan: female shaped like a rod: male :)

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)

Last edited by Jayy; 03-26-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Jayy is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Well... first off that's not a platy, its a ballon Molly.
I was wondering...thanks for clearing that up :)
fishcrazy1824 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
No problem, text is one of those things where it is hard to decifer how things are meant (no body language), does (i think she), look pregnant, or is she supposed to look like she is about to pop
pvallejo31 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvallejo31 View Post
No problem, text is one of those things where it is hard to decifer how things are meant (no body language), does (i think she), look pregnant, or is she supposed to look like she is about to pop
That's just the way they're breed to look, like ballons

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean. I was just trying to clear things up. I can't tell from the picture if its a male or female. I'm going to teach you how. If the anal fin is flat like a fan: female shaped like a rod: male :)

it is a girl , and looking at her really close up it looks like those are eggs....but again...i am new
pvallejo31 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to tell a fish is pregnant bary trotter Livebearers 4 10-29-2009 10:11 PM
my fish look pregnant mikelegz Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 07-18-2009 06:08 PM
My fish might be pregnant?! HELP!! Emphasy Fish Breeding 1 07-18-2008 10:06 AM
pregnant fish tigerbarb Fish Breeding 5 10-18-2006 09:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome