looking for knowledge about "half beak" fish
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Livebearers » looking for knowledge about "half beak" fish

looking for knowledge about "half beak" fish

This is a discussion on looking for knowledge about "half beak" fish within the Livebearers forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> I just saw these fish today at my LFS. What can anyone tell me about these? I really wouldn't mind getting 3 for my ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Guppy
Guppy
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
looking for knowledge about "half beak" fish
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
looking for knowledge about "half beak" fish


I just saw these fish today at my LFS. What can anyone tell me about these? I really wouldn't mind getting 3 for my tank. My tank is big enough from what I read, but I'd like to know what others think about my tankmates and this fish.

I have a heavily planted tank, with the following

1 female Gourami
4 Angelicus-botia loaches
2 neon dwarf rainbows
one male Bolivian Ram
school of neon tetras
Bamboo shrimp
one newly added female betta :)

It's a cool looking fish. Apparently a live bearer

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
 
Half beaks are found naturally in fresh and brackish water. What species of half beak are they? From what I've read some species tolerate freshwater better than others. I would be interested if anyone else knows anything about this.
Nyxxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
Half beaks are found naturally in fresh and brackish water. What species of half beak are they? From what I've read some species tolerate freshwater better than others. I would be interested if anyone else knows anything about this.

I've been doing some reading. They are the dermogenys. Look to be fairly easy to keep, males will fight with other males. I'm going to get 1 male and 2 females. Don't tolerate big changes in water chemistry, but not difficult to keep. I've got the info I need in hand to try to pick one male and 2 females. They are cool little fish. I like that they stay in the upper levels of the tank. Read that it is not true they need brackish water, but they can survive in such. There appear to be many different types, but from what I see, the ones I'm looking at are the species called dermogenys. Hope I spelled that right.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 

I understand they will live longer in brackish water, but do live in freshwater. So, I bought just one today. I could not see a difference between the selection of 4 they had, and think they may have been all males. To play it safe, I got one. Apparently they will get more in the spring. I'll see how this guy does and add more when I'm more sure of the sex.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
 
I bought one of those Halfbeaks a few months ago for my community tank that has Platies, Mollys, Harliquin Rosbora and a Bristlenose Pleco. He seems quite happy swimming around the top of my tank and occasionally swims to the bottom and through the middle.
I read that males have red and yellow on their fins and so the one I bought a few months ago, i thought was a male. Last week I read another post that says that males have a folded fin similar to what platies and mollys have on their anal fin and this is used for breeding.
Turns out I had a colorful female all along. Went to the store and got 2 more and i think i have 2 females and 1 male. 1 of them is hard to see because the new ones are smaller.
pringleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringleman1 View Post
I bought one of those Halfbeaks a few months ago for my community tank that has Platies, Mollys, Harliquin Rosbora and a Bristlenose Pleco. He seems quite happy swimming around the top of my tank and occasionally swims to the bottom and through the middle.
I read that males have red and yellow on their fins and so the one I bought a few months ago, i thought was a male. Last week I read another post that says that males have a folded fin similar to what platies and mollys have on their anal fin and this is used for breeding.
Turns out I had a colorful female all along. Went to the store and got 2 more and i think i have 2 females and 1 male. 1 of them is hard to see because the new ones are smaller.

I just posted pics of my little guy. Check him out. Under the thread where you post vid/pictures. I wish I could tell better, because the ones at the store all looked the same. What do you mean about a folded anal fin? Do you have a picture of yours you can attach. I'd like to go back and get a few more. Do yours fight at all?

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
 
Yours looks good.
Here are my 3. first picture is of the one I bought first. Thought it was a male because it had heaps of red on its fins, from what I had read that meant it was male.
But now from what i saw a few days ago on how the anal fin is similar to platies in how to figure out the sex. this first one is a female.
the next 2 I bought together and thought they were females when i got them because they had less color. turns out, from looking at their anal fins, they are both males.
So i have 2 males that wont go near the 1 female because she is twice as big as they are and she is a bit of a bully.
I attached the picture of the 3 halfbeaks I have in the order i have told, and a picture of someones drawing on how to figure out the sex of platies. Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halfbeak female.jpg (34.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg halfbeak male.jpg (50.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00249.jpg (73.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Platy_sexing.jpg (9.7 KB, 29 views)
pringleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pringleman1 For This Useful Post:
GwenInNM (01-04-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringleman1 View Post
Yours looks good.
Here are my 3. first picture is of the one I bought first. Thought it was a male because it had heaps of red on its fins, from what I had read that meant it was male.
But now from what i saw a few days ago on how the anal fin is similar to platies in how to figure out the sex. this first one is a female.
the next 2 I bought together and thought they were females when i got them because they had less color. turns out, from looking at their anal fins, they are both males.
So i have 2 males that wont go near the 1 female because she is twice as big as they are and she is a bit of a bully.
I attached the picture of the 3 halfbeaks I have in the order i have told, and a picture of someones drawing on how to figure out the sex of platies. Hope it helps.

Thanks for all the info. So, I guess I have a female too, and that means all the fish were probably female. Mine is doing fine, but he always hangs at the top, so I don't even see him, without looking. He is eating and is very busy around the top. Do you think I should get more? After you added yours, did it seem like they preferred to have others of their kind? Are your new ones still "afraid" of the bigger one?

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
 
One of them is getting a little more comfortable with the big one. they can swim next to each other for a short time but then the big one says enough and scared him away. If you have tall plants that the new one/littler ones can hide around and dodge the old/bigger ones it should be fine until the get the same size and get used to each other.
Let me know how you go cause i would really love to have mine breed together and would like to know different ways to get them comfortable and breeding.
pringleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Half beak care? Phillip J Livebearers 1 06-10-2011 04:07 PM
Half Beak bf2king Livebearers 3 08-05-2007 10:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.