Help!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Livebearers » Help!

Help!

This is a discussion on Help! within the Livebearers forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Hey! I love how the answer to my question on "how to sex Black Mollies?" brought me right to this website. It answered my ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Sailfin Molly
Sailfin Molly
Swordtail
Swordtail
Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
 
Michele1528's Avatar
 
Question Help!

Hey!
I love how the answer to my question on "how to sex Black Mollies?" brought me right to this website. It answered my question and even had pictures to show me what things looked like. Now, my question is this......Now since looking at my Black Mollies, I see that they(all 3 of them) are all males......two of them seem to hang around each other and swim together like buddies, but the other is always alone, and swimming in a corner or hiding behind a plant. How can I solve this? When I bought them at Petsmart, they didn't mention about them having to be sexed. What can I do to take care of this problem? I want them all to be happy. From my reading, I understand that there should be 2 females to 1 male. What do i do with 3 males? Please HELP!
Thanks.......
Michele1528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
 
TwilightGuy's Avatar
 
See if the store will allow you to trade two of them for females.
TwilightGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
 
Pisces47's Avatar
 
Three's a crowd...............!!
Most stores won't swap fish, however you may have a friend who would like one or two of the males or maybe you could encourage someone to start their own aquarium.
Pisces47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
 
TwilightGuy's Avatar
 
Maybe not down under, but here, Petsmart is like Macy's; find the manager and make a fuss about the salesperson selling you the wrong thing (3 males in 1 tank) and they probably will accomodate you.
TwilightGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
 
Michele1528's Avatar
 
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces47 View Post
Three's a crowd...............!!
Most stores won't swap fish, however you may have a friend who would like one or two of the males or maybe you could encourage someone to start their own aquarium.
Hey Thanks for the responses, but I don't think Petsmart will alllow me to swap fish back with them, even if it was the fish keeper's fault. They would think somehow their tank would probably get infected somehow.....you know what I'm trying to say? They would give me another if one died though, but they are healthy and seems to be all getting along better now for some reason. I'm sooooo happy about that. Although my husband keeps telling me I'm worrying over nothing, I can't help it I wish I did have a friend to swap with, but I don't Thanks for the helpful responses. I'll keep you posted on what happens!
Michele1528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
 
Pisces47's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele1528 View Post
Hey Thanks for the responses, but I don't think Petsmart will alllow me to swap fish back with them, even if it was the fish keeper's fault. They would think somehow their tank would probably get infected somehow.....you know what I'm trying to say? They would give me another if one died though, but they are healthy and seems to be all getting along better now for some reason. I'm sooooo happy about that. Although my husband keeps telling me I'm worrying over nothing, I can't help it I wish I did have a friend to swap with, but I don't Thanks for the helpful responses. I'll keep you posted on what happens!
Yep, don't take them back as was suggested, it's just asking for trouble.
I've been keeping and breeding mollies for quite some time and they are a very placid fish, so once they become accustomed to their surroundings you won't have a problem with them at all (unless you add a female into the mix!), just make sure you keep the filter clean and change about a third of the water every couple of weeks and give them a bit of green food once a week, and sure, keep us posted, maybe even a photo or two.
Pisces47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
 
Michele1528's Avatar
 
Smile Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces47 View Post
Yep, don't take them back as was suggested, it's just asking for trouble.
I've been keeping and breeding mollies for quite some time and they are a very placid fish, so once they become accustomed to their surroundings you won't have a problem with them at all (unless you add a female into the mix!), just make sure you keep the filter clean and change about a third of the water every couple of weeks and give them a bit of green food once a week, and sure, keep us posted, maybe even a photo or two.
Hey! I hope your Thanksgiving was a nice one....smiles! I sure enjoyed mine
My mollies are doing great and thanks for the good word on how to continue keeping them happy I love my fish and so glad they all are doing well.......my rainbow shark is having a ball bullying everyone around. He just loves letting the rest of my fish know who the BOSS is every now and then, so I guess they are no different from anyone else. I'll be sure to post some pic's soon......they love how I redecorated their home(fish tank). See ya!

Last edited by Michele1528; 11-29-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: same word twice!
Michele1528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
 
Pisces47's Avatar
 
Thanks for the Thanksgiving sentiment, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving down here in the Land of Oz but we know about it of course and I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday.
Don't forget the pics of your redecorated tank and have you put your order in with Santa for some "fishy" stuff for Christmas?
Pisces47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.