got my endlers wooo!!! :)
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Livebearers » got my endlers wooo!!! :)

got my endlers wooo!!! :)

This is a discussion on got my endlers wooo!!! :) within the Livebearers forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> went to the pet shop tday and got 3 male 7 female and 3 fry that were in the tank :) il get pics ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Guppy
Guppy
Platy
Platy
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
got my endlers wooo!!! :)
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
 
fryup's Avatar
 
got my endlers wooo!!! :)

went to the pet shop tday and got 3 male 7 female and 3 fry that were in the tank :)
il get pics asap

i got 2 wild type colours and a blue endler (i think its a hybrid)
and the females are colourless

:):):)
fryup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
 
I'm really interested in the blue one, they're usually called Japan blue endlers/endler hybrids and look incredible. I'm looking into the genetics of this blue colouration and if I remember correctly it's linked to the pink gene.

As it happens the majority of endlers you'll buy in shops are not pure wild stock but have some other genes mixed in. Having said that I'm increasingly of the belief that they are just a particularly unique strain of wild Guppy rather than a different species so perhaps the term hybrid may not be entirely accurate.

I look forward to seeing the pics. Good luck, they're very hard to photograph.
Marginatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
 
My lfs calls the blue ones, japenese blue swordtail guppys, I am pretty sure my fry are cross bred with them so I will probably sell them and make sure my endlers stay as purebred as they can be.
eatmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
 
fryup's Avatar
 
yes iv been looking on line and its identical to the japan bleu but iv seen it called a jamacan blue endler....hes not interested in the females tho but i woke up this morning to 4 fry :D:D:D
fryup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
 
OMG! congrats!!!!!!!!!! if only i lived by u!!! thats alot of fish lol! :D
biokid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marginatus View Post
I'm really interested in the blue one, they're usually called Japan blue endlers/endler hybrids and look incredible. I'm looking into the genetics of this blue colouration and if I remember correctly it's linked to the pink gene.

As it happens the majority of endlers you'll buy in shops are not pure wild stock but have some other genes mixed in. Having said that I'm increasingly of the belief that they are just a particularly unique strain of wild Guppy rather than a different species so perhaps the term hybrid may not be entirely accurate.

I look forward to seeing the pics. Good luck, they're very hard to photograph.
Sorry, but I disagree. A pure bred endler, a wild type guppy, and a hybrid endler/guppy are all quite different in appearance.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
 
GreenPlanet's Avatar
 
Wow lots of fish :D
GreenPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
 
fryup's Avatar
 
i still think its a hybrid, but i dnt think il get fry from him, iv never seen him try mate with the females :):):)
fryup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. A pure bred endler, a wild type guppy, and a hybrid endler/guppy are all quite different in appearance.
There are more that disagree with me than agree so no problem. It is just semantics after all and they are very closely related so whether they a seperate species, a sub-species or regional variant it doesn't really matter too much to me. The classification of species is something science has never perfected, there are lots of grey areas. I'll always treat them as just another type of Guppy because to all intents and purposes that's what they are.
Marginatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
i still think its a hybrid, but i dnt think il get fry from him, iv never seen him try mate with the females :):):)
Oh you will at some point. I've found that some males will only try to mate with particular females, I've found that some of my endlers won't attempt to mate with larger fancy females although they will with the more juvenile ones.

If you really want to breed him you can seperate him with 2-3 juvenile females and when they become sexually mature he will almost certainly breed with them, I'd put money on it.
Marginatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I get endlers? veganchick Freshwater and Tropical Fish 11 07-03-2014 03:21 PM
Rescued 2 endlers rsheets Livebearers 6 03-25-2010 10:03 PM


« Platys | Fry »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.