Does this platy look pregnant? (pictures) - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Question Does this platy look pregnant? (pictures)

I just bought 2 Mickey Mouse Platy since I already have one other. The orange/white-ish one is Big Mama and I am pretty sure she's pregnant and wanted a second opinion since I'm new to fish. Also I bought a breeding net for when she starts to give birth, I am not putting her in it until she is literally having the babies and taking her out after she's done. If she does look pregnant how far along does she look? She's been staying low in the tank by the plants lately. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Mama.jpg (24.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Big Mama and other new fish pic04.jpg (15.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Big Mama pic02.jpg (19.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Big Mama, Minnie and other new fish.jpg (22.5 KB, 56 views)
Frostycat2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 AM
New Member
 
dfish23's Avatar
 
Shes defiantly pregnant and what Ive seen from my platies is their stomachs go from a round shape to a somewhat squared shape when they are close to giving birth kinda like this
dfish23 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dfish23 For This Useful Post:
Frostycat2012 (03-21-2012)
post #3 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
If the fish has been exposed to males, then they are inherently pregnant .
Would NOT wait until fish was further along to move her, for moving fishes which are close to birthing to breeder net,box,tank,will often times result in aborted births ,or still born/dead fish.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1077 For This Useful Post:
Frostycat2012 (03-21-2012)
post #4 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Exclamation Update: She' s definitely pregnant, I can see the babies eyes now

Last night I looked at her and can now se the babies eyes in hr belly towards the back. How long from when you can see the eyes is she close to giving birth?
And also so if I should put her in her breeding net should I do that now or is that just going to stress her out and cause her to abort or absorb the babies?
Frostycat2012 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostycat2012 View Post
Last night I looked at her and can now se the babies eyes in hr belly towards the back. How long from when you can see the eyes is she close to giving birth?
And also so if I should put her in her breeding net should I do that now or is that just going to stress her out and cause her to abort or absorb the babies?
If you can see their eyes...I would say quite close. They must be quite developed because the eyes are one of the last to come in.

She cannot absorb if she is too far into the pregnancy, it would kill her.
Termato is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Termato For This Useful Post:
Frostycat2012 (03-21-2012)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
If you can see their eyes...I would say quite close. They must be quite developed because the eyes are one of the last to come in.

She cannot absorb if she is too far into the pregnancy, it would kill her.
She also looks pretty squared right now. Should I put her in the breeding net(it goes in the aquarium and has fake plants in it) or should I just let her give birth in the aquarium and try to catch the babies?

She is also chasing the other two platies around right now.

Last edited by Frostycat2012; 03-21-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Frostycat2012 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostycat2012 View Post
She also looks pretty squared right now. Should I put her in the breeding net(it goes in the aquarium and has fake plants in it) or should I just let her give birth in the aquarium and try to catch the babies?
If you can put her in the net without stressing too much do so. Although you don't want to stress the mother too much right now as you know.

I mean there really is no other way to do it without stressing the fish. If you are going to net her do it now rather than later.

She might be in the net for a while because it could be a while before she gives birth (hours...days)...if you take a picture of the fish it will help everyone identify how far along she is.

Also is this a first pregnancy for this fish right?

Trying to catch the babies will take a while and will stress the fish more. You might have a better shot with the mother...I dunno....
Termato is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Termato For This Useful Post:
Frostycat2012 (03-21-2012)
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
If you can put her in the net without stressing too much do so. Although you don't want to stress the mother too much right now as you know.

I mean there really is no other way to do it without stressing the fish. If you are going to net her do it now rather than later.

She might be in the net for a while because it could be a while before she gives birth (hours...days)...if you take a picture of the fish it will help everyone identify how far along she is.

Also is this a first pregnancy for this fish right?

Trying to catch the babies will take a while and will stress the fish more. You might have a better shot with the mother...I dunno....
Sorry it's a bit hard to see the eyes in the pictures but here's some new pictures I just took of her.

I have no idea what pregnancy for her this is because I just got her from a pet shop a few days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3200006.jpg (57.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P3200001.jpg (27.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg P3200005.jpg (34.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg P3200004.jpg (22.1 KB, 45 views)
Frostycat2012 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Question *Update*

She is definitely pregnant and she is HUGE now. You can see the little eyes in her belly and she has been nipping at the other two platies when they get near her. She also is randomly twitchingshaking her body from left to right. I ended up buying some more live plants to put in the aquarium so the babies can hide and not get eaten. She looks really squared I think it feels like it's taking forever, because I'm so excited!! How long can platies be in labor for?
Frostycat2012 is offline  
Reply

Tags
platy , pregnant platy

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Platy- Is he a he? or could he be pregnant? Britty Bee Livebearers 10 03-03-2011 11:57 AM
ugh oh my red wag platy is pregnant...now what? johnathon034 Livebearers 10 02-16-2011 05:46 PM
Pregnant platy?? Do I put her in the net now? britnyjackson Livebearers 10 03-20-2010 07:50 PM
Pregnant guppy and platy? pictures orangeclumsy2 Livebearers 3 02-21-2010 04:26 PM
pregnant platy TROPICALFISHOBBIEST2006 Tropical Fish Diseases 5 01-12-2007 08:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome