Snail/Parasite eggs
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Invertebrates » Snail/Parasite eggs

Snail/Parasite eggs

This is a discussion on Snail/Parasite eggs within the Invertebrates forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> I added a pleco from 1 store and new plants from another on the same day. As an unexpected surprise I also got snails ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Guppy
Guppy
Oscar
Oscar
Reply
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Snail/Parasite eggs

I added a pleco from 1 store and new plants from another on the same day. As an unexpected surprise I also got snails and some type of parasites with them ( no charge of course). I believe the parasites to be gill flukes and am treating for them now. I'm getting small eggs on a small thin transparent sheet, some floating, some attached to objects. Am I correct in assuming these are snail eggs, as I would expect the parasite eggs to be invisible to the eye?
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
I added a pleco from 1 store and new plants from another on the same day. As an unexpected surprise I also got snails and some type of parasites with them ( no charge of course). I believe the parasites to be gill flukes and am treating for them now. I'm getting small eggs on a small thin transparent sheet, some floating, some attached to objects. Am I correct in assuming these are snail eggs, as I would expect the parasite eggs to be invisible to the eye?
I'm betting snail eggs. HOw would you "see" gill fllukes? Do you see that on the fish?

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
I'm betting snail eggs. HOw would you "see" gill fllukes? Do you see that on the fish?

Gwen
Hi Gwen. My tank had been happy and healthy for over three months. After adding plants I had a platy lethargic and on the bottom. Next morn she was dead with a worm coming from her gills. Next day another was on bottom so I scooped her and put her in freezer. I thawed her out and saw a worm in her gills also. All others were flashing. I treated for Ich and saw no change. I had gotten a pleco at the same time from a locally owned fish store who is known for exceptional care of his fish and not selling sick fish. My first reaction was to blame the pleco, who showed no signs. The local owner suggested I go to Petco and look around(where i got the plants). They had their tanks shut down for Ich. But as I asked for details he let slip something about flukes.I did some research and found snails can carry flukes and I got snails from the plants. I'm on day 4 treating for flukes and finally see a big improvement. I know you can't see flukes and am not sure what was in their gills, but treatment is working. Sorry so long winded, any thoughts?P.S.- I have a rule that says if your tank is happy and healthy, don't change or add anything. Now I remember why I made it a rule.

Last edited by marshallsea; 09-29-2012 at 12:30 AM..
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Hi Gwen. My tank had been happy and healthy for over three months. After adding plants I had a platy lethargic and on the bottom. Next morn she was dead with a worm coming from her gills. Next day another was on bottom so I scooped her and put her in freezer. I thawed her out and saw a worm in her gills also. All others were flashing. I treated for Ich and saw no change. I had gotten a pleco at the same time from a locally owned fish store who is known for exceptional care of his fish and not selling sick fish. My first reaction was to blame the pleco, who showed no signs. The local owner suggested I go to Petco and look around(where i got the plants). They had their tanks shut down for Ich. But as I asked for details he let slip something about flukes.I did some research and found snails can carry flukes and I got snails from the plants. I'm on day 4 treating for flukes and finally see a big improvement. I know you can't see flukes and am not sure what was in their gills, but treatment is working. Sorry so long winded, any thoughts?P.S.- I have a rule that says if your tank is happy and healthy, don't change or add anything. Now I remember why I made it a rule.
Ugh! That's terrible. I'm sorry for you. I'd be interested to see if anyone else chimes in and agrees snails can carry flukes. I always thought different species couldn't transmit disease to others, but if Byron QT's plants (I've never done that) than I guess things like this are possible. PM Byron and see what he knows about this. Good the treatment is working.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
Ugh! That's terrible. I'm sorry for you. I'd be interested to see if anyone else chimes in and agrees snails can carry flukes. I always thought different species couldn't transmit disease to others, but if Byron QT's plants (I've never done that) than I guess things like this are possible. PM Byron and see what he knows about this. Good the treatment is working.

Gwen
Thank you for responding. Google snail flukes, very interesting. Turns out snails carry skin, gill, blood and liver flukes. I think I read about bleach dipping plants before putting them in the tank, but I don't know the ratio or the duration.P.S. Some flukes are transferable to humans, Google showed pictures of an arm infested.

Last edited by marshallsea; 09-29-2012 at 11:42 AM..
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
I've always found that a quick rinse in tap water does wonders. A quick salt water rinse is also good. No plant supplier can guarantee no snails; however, parasite infestation is another matter. I would question their source and cultivation methods. You're probably doing the right thing. I would never buy plants or anything else at that fish store. I'm finding that online plant specialists are the way to go.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
I've always found that a quick rinse in tap water does wonders. A quick salt water rinse is also good. No plant supplier can guarantee no snails; however, parasite infestation is another matter. I would question their source and cultivation methods. You're probably doing the right thing. I would never buy plants or anything else at that fish store. I'm finding that online plant specialists are the way to go.
I agree. When I was investigating at Petco and flukes came up, the employee told me that flukes couldn't be in the plant tank without a fish host. I now know that snails can carry flukes AND there were fish in the plant tank as he told me this. I can understand someone not knowing what's going on but to try to cover it up while I'm trying to figure it out what is happening to my tank is hard to forget.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
 
amedws's Avatar
 
Smile Bleach dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Thank you for responding. Google snail flukes, very interesting. Turns out snails carry skin, gill, blood and liver flukes. I think I read about bleach dipping plants before putting them in the tank, but I don't know the ratio or the duration.P.S. Some flukes are transferable to humans, Google showed pictures of an arm infested.
19 parts water to 1 part bleach, submerge for 2 min., rinse well. It works and is cheap!!
amedws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amedws View Post
19 parts water to 1 part bleach, submerge for 2 min., rinse well. It works and is cheap!!
Thank you.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nerite snail eggs or goldfish eggs? PaperclipGirl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 06-10-2011 09:24 AM
Parasite Snails vs Apple Snail Babies FISH2LIVEBY Invertebrates 6 06-23-2009 08:08 PM
snail eggs vs fish eggs Sadie Fish Breeding 10 01-29-2007 09:49 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.