Shrimp, snails and Ferts - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Shrimp, snails and Ferts

Do plant ferts, like Seachem Flourish, harm snails and shrimp?

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 AM
New Member
 
Gilljay's Avatar
 
Fertilizers and shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Do plant ferts, like Seachem Flourish, harm snails and shrimp?
Hello Marshallsea
I keep some (unknown number) of Red Cherry Shrimp in my planted tank and have found that any Dennerle product is OK. I put a couple of squirts of S7 Vitamix in each week as it also has a fish conditioner in it.
Never tried Seachem as it's not widely available here in France.
Good luck
Gilljay is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
It has been known to hurt some shrimp..but not always. I would test on a tank with a smaller amount of shrimp before you try it and wipe out all of what you have ..Snails are fine with flourish. But more importantly what type of shrimp are you keeping..or planning to keep? Some are more sensitive then others
Agent13 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 PM
New Member
 
Are the rapidly-population small black hard-shell snails causing the cloudiness in my tank
toonflower is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
It has been known to hurt some shrimp..but not always. I would test on a tank with a smaller amount of shrimp before you try it and wipe out all of what you have ..Snails are fine with flourish. But more importantly what type of shrimp are you keeping..or planning to keep? Some are more sensitive then others
I don't have shrimp yet. I need to know which shrimp are hardiest before I buy. They need to be ok with Flourish.

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilljay View Post
Hello Marshallsea
I keep some (unknown number) of Red Cherry Shrimp in my planted tank and have found that any Dennerle product is OK. I put a couple of squirts of S7 Vitamix in each week as it also has a fish conditioner in it.
Never tried Seachem as it's not widely available here in France.
Good luck
Do you have an overpopulation problem with the RC's?

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM
New Member
 
Gilljay's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Do you have an overpopulation problem with the RC's?
Hello Marshallsea,
I have no problem with overpopulation as I have other fish in my tank. Nothing bigger than a Rasbora though so their mouths are too small for the grown shrimp but they probably eat the eggs and any tiny babies who stray from cover too soon. I have Java moss on a Mangrove root and a Dennerle three tube hide.
My friend has bigger fish though and as her cherries keep disappearing so I can only guess they are the culprits.
If I really squint and watch carefully I can usually count about twenty Red Cherries of varying sizes so for me that's a good number.
It's wonderful to watch them in amongst the fish - it's like at the sales. They just barge through a shoal of Tetras and are totally ignored by everyone. Well worth the 4 euros each that I paid for the original gang.

Gardening outside or gardening inside - whatever the weather I have a plot somewhere
Gilljay is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilljay For This Useful Post:
marshallsea (10-27-2013)
post #8 of 8 Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonflower View Post
Are the rapidly-population small black hard-shell snails causing the cloudiness in my tank
Need more info about your tank-size , age, inhabitants?

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No ferts + low light = hungry snails? redchigh Beginner Planted Aquarium 9 05-26-2010 03:25 PM
Snails & plant ferts?? AmyK Invertebrates 6 05-22-2009 08:27 AM
Shrimp and Snails musho3210 Tropical Fish Diseases 2 01-04-2007 02:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome