Shrimp with fish?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Invertebrates » Shrimp with fish?

Shrimp with fish?

This is a discussion on Shrimp with fish? within the Invertebrates forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> I'm setting up two 20 gal tanks in which I plan to plant heavily and keep shrimp and a few small fish. What type ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Spotfin Cory
Spotfin Cory
Dojo Loach
Dojo Loach
Reply
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
 
Shrimp with fish?

I'm setting up two 20 gal tanks in which I plan to plant heavily and keep shrimp and a few small fish. What type of fish would be compatible with cherry and tiger shrimp? I've considered guppies and a few small corys. Ideas? Suggestions?
Kim where are you?
Paul

Last edited by noledoc; 04-21-2011 at 09:14 AM..
noledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noledoc View Post
I'm setting up two 20 gal tanks in which I plan to plant heavily and keep shrimp and a few small fish. What type of fish would be compatible with cherry and tiger shrimp? I've considered guppies and a few small corys. Ideas? Suggestions?
Kim where are you?
Paul
I'm here, sorry I'm late in getting back to your email. I'll answer here!
The only fish I can think of that I would be sure of that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp in a heavily planted tank would be Celestial Pearl Danios (beautiful fish!) or Neon Tetras. I've never kept guppies so I don't know what kind of "hunters" they are.
RCS and Tigers are so dang tiny that most fish would relish eating them. If the tank was very heavily planted you could keep cories but I doubt you'd have RCS babies showing up. RCS babies are so incredibly tiny I'm sure the cories would have no problem finding and eating them. Half the fun of my shrimp tanks is watching the colony multiply, which is why I keep them as "shrimp only" tanks.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aunt kymmie For This Useful Post:
noledoc (04-21-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
 
InvertPlanet's Avatar
 
I have an albino pleco in with my cherries and they do fine.
InvertPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InvertPlanet For This Useful Post:
noledoc (04-22-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
 
eileen's Avatar
 
I have endlers and a bushy nosed pleco, Assassin snails in with my Red Cherry shrimps without any problems. My shrimps are breeding fine. The tank is a live planted tank and I have a netting over the intake so that the baby shrimps or baby endlers do not get sucked in the filter.

You can get endlers on www.aquabid.com under livebearers or wild I keep hybrid endlers, Red scarlet/pink, Blue tiger endlers, metalic blue endlers that I'm working on now. In local fish stores they sometimes sell the common endlers as feeders.Some of those have nice coloring and if you find them they are cheap as they are sold as feeders. They are smaller in size then guppies so I like them and they do not take alot of room like reg. guppies. If you do not want to breed them just get the males to put in with the shrimps as they are very colorful and the females are a bland grey or tan color.

Not alot of choices to put with shrimps unless you have a really good planted tank. Some tetras will go after the tiny shrimps and eat them. The shrimps breed really fast so you will always see babies around the tank.
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eileen For This Useful Post:
noledoc (04-22-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
 
Hi Kym

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I'm here, sorry I'm late in getting back to your email. I'll answer here!
The only fish I can think of that I would be sure of that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp in a heavily planted tank would be Celestial Pearl Danios (beautiful fish!) or Neon Tetras. I've never kept guppies so I don't know what kind of "hunters" they are.
RCS and Tigers are so dang tiny that most fish would relish eating them. If the tank was very heavily planted you could keep cories but I doubt you'd have RCS babies showing up. RCS babies are so incredibly tiny I'm sure the cories would have no problem finding and eating them. Half the fun of my shrimp tanks is watching the colony multiply, which is why I keep them as "shrimp only" tanks.
Thanks Kym. I miss our chats.
I'm planning to use Seachem Stability to do the cycling. The plants will be planted only a few days when I put in the shrimp/fish. The shrimp and the fish would provide the ammonia, nitrite to build the bio filter. Eco complete substrate. How many shrimp/ fish would be enough to cycle the tank but not too much for a tank 30 x12 x 12 (20gal)? Plan on lots of plants.
Paul
noledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
 
I have kept the below fish with RCS with neither no harm to ANY shrimp or occasional munching of shimplets. Biggest thing with cherry shrimp and fish is you need dense plant area the fish can not get into for protection of the shrimplets.

endlers
ember tetras
rummy nosed tetras
emperor tetras
Pseudomogil gertrudae
threadfin rainbows(really nice in a planted tank and also almost one dimensional lol)
any micro boraras though these are not super common in shops (chili rasbora, sparrow rasbora, micro rasbora)

Avoid any gouramis even small ones like sparklers as they love hunting shrimplets.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikaila31 For This Useful Post:
noledoc (04-22-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
 
eileen's Avatar
 
Just to let you know you can not use dwarf shrimps to cycle a tank. They are very sensitive to ammonia,nitrate,nitrite. They should only go into a cycled tank that is completely cycled. I would go get some white cloud minnows to cycle your tank. I bought 10 they were selling as feeders at my local fish store for 10 for $1. All survived the cycle process in my 20 gal. tank. You can rehome them if you do not want to keep the white clouds after cycling like I did. If your tank is not fully cycled the shrimps will die. I also used this stuff called cycle that helped speed things along. You can use a old filter pad from another tank or a friends tank to get the good bacteria going.

Last edited by eileen; 04-21-2011 at 04:26 PM..
eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eileen For This Useful Post:
noledoc (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
 
Thanks Mikaila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
I have kept the below fish with RCS with neither no harm to ANY shrimp or occasional munching of shimplets. Biggest thing with cherry shrimp and fish is you need dense plant area the fish can not get into for protection of the shrimplets.

endlers
ember tetras
rummy nosed tetras
emperor tetras
Pseudomogil gertrudae
threadfin rainbows(really nice in a planted tank and also almost one dimensional lol)
any micro boraras though these are not super common in shops (chili rasbora, sparrow rasbora, micro rasbora)

Avoid any gouramis even small ones like sparklers as they love hunting shrimplets.
Thanks very much Mikaila. I appreciate your help.
noledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
 
Thanks Eileen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen View Post
Just to let you know you can not use dwarf shrimps to cycle a tank. They are very sensitive to ammonia,nitrate,nitrite. They should only go into a cycled tank that is completely cycled. I would go get some white cloud minnows to cycle your tank. I bought 10 they were selling as feeders at my local fish store for 10 for $1. All survived the cycle process in my 20 gal. tank. You can rehome them if you do not want to keep the white clouds after cycling like I did. If your tank is not fully cycled the shrimps will die. I also used this stuff called cycle that helped speed things along. You can use a old filter pad from another tank or a friends tank to get the good bacteria going.
Eileen, thanks for the heads up about cycling. Appreciate your help.
noledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New fish, shrimp, and my dogs :) musho3210 Freshwater Journals 14 01-28-2007 12:14 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.