Malaysion trumpet snails. - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Malaysion trumpet snails.

What parameters do MTS normally live in? Despite hearing of all the stories of people being overrun by them, I've never actually seen one. Until today. The store wanted $7 a piece for them. While I was tempted.. I declined because it made me wonder why I have never seen them here before when they are apparently so readily available. Didn't want to waste money if they were only going to die.

Our water here is high PH, just shy of 8 with moderatly hard water. Seems like this would be perfect, the ramshorns are prolific in another store and they are happy to give them away.
ladayen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
What parameters do MTS normally live in? Despite hearing of all the stories of people being overrun by them, I've never actually seen one. Until today. The store wanted $7 a piece for them. While I was tempted.. I declined because it made me wonder why I have never seen them here before when they are apparently so readily available. Didn't want to waste money if they were only going to die.

Our water here is high PH, just shy of 8 with moderatly hard water. Seems like this would be perfect, the ramshorns are prolific in another store and they are happy to give them away.
Malaysian Trumpet snails would do well in moderately hard to alkaline water.
It is the calcium normally found in hard water that aids in their shell development, and their shells can deteriorate in soft acidic water for this reason.
I would not however be inclined to spend seven bucks a piece for these snails, and might ask any friends on forum's, or who have fish tank's with these creatures, if they could spare five or six.
Five or six of these snails can quickly become hundred's.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 AM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
$7 for one

My local store charged me 75 cents each for mine. They def. have it wrong and probably would charge that for a large assasin snail.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
$7 for one

My local store charged me 75 cents each for mine. They def. have it wrong and probably would charge that for a large assasin snail.
Yes ,that might be what they're selling (assasin snails) they look somewhat similar except for color.
Lady at fish store gave me around a dozen of the malaysian trumpet snails some fifteen years ago and i recall her telling me to be careful what you ask for.
Didn't take long for me to get hip with what she was saying.
I have drained tank's and placed gravel in tubs .bucket's for use several month's later in some cases and when pouring the stored gravel into the tanks,,found that some of these snails survived with just a tiny amount of moisture in the bottom of the tub/ bucket.
They are near impervious to all medications. But copper based meds, and soft water will do them in .

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Could you please take a pic of these snails? How big are they? These dont sound like any ordinary mts to me. No shop would ever charge that high unless these snails turn out to be the large ones that are harder to breed.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Yes ,that might be what they're selling (assasin snails) they look somewhat similar except for color.
Lady at fish store gave me around a dozen of the malaysian trumpet snails some fifteen years ago and i recall her telling me to be careful what you ask for.
Didn't take long for me to get hip with what she was saying.
I have drained tank's and placed gravel in tubs .bucket's for use several month's later in some cases and when pouring the stored gravel into the tanks,,found that some of these snails survived with just a tiny amount of moisture in the bottom of the tub/ bucket.
They are near impervious to all medications. But copper based meds, and soft water will do them in .

My LFS will also give them away as they are very common. I didn't know about the soft water thing. I have lots of little ones in my GBR tank, and have soft/acidic water in there. Is there anything I can do (such as add calcium) so they live? My other tank, I'd love to have MTS, but my loaches gobble them up (I'm guessing) as I've never seen any. I know they hide in the sand, but by now, I'd see some at night on the glass :(

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Can't post a picture unfortuantly but I am 100% certain they are just MTS. Assassin snails are not so rare, not exactly common either but I know what they look like.

Thats what is confusing me, they are simply not available up here and I'm puzzled as to why. I'll be heading back to the store on the weekend apparently (it's nearly 3 hours away btw) I guess if no one can come up with a reason why they might not survive I'll buy a couple.
ladayen is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Malaysian trumpet snails are not easy to find where ladayen and I live (we're both in BC). When I finally found some, which was only in one store and I have never seen them anywhere else in Vancouver, they were $2.50 each, and I bought 2. I now have hundreds.

Ladayen, if you can hold off, when I send you the plants in the Spring I will put in a bunch of baby snails. They will make it, it is next to impossible to kill these fellows. I've had them survive weeks in pails of damp/drying gravel.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
That sounds like a good plan :) Thanks alot Byron.
ladayen is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
That sounds like a good plan :) Thanks alot Byron.
Just remind me about the Water Sprite, Pennywort and snails when the weather warms up in your area. I'm sure to forget.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for some Zebra Neritina snails or Malaysian Trumpet Snails... dfbiggs Invertebrates 20 05-28-2010 01:46 AM
Mystery Snails, Rare Trumpet Snail and Breeding of Assassin Snails Lupin Invertebrates 4 04-24-2009 04:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome