Ghost Shrimp dead
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Invertebrates » Ghost Shrimp dead

Ghost Shrimp dead

This is a discussion on Ghost Shrimp dead within the Invertebrates forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> I bought ghost shrimp at the fish store. I have 3 betta aquariums and 3 others with just plants. I put one ghost shrimp ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Ghost Knifefish
Black Ghost Knifefish
Angelicus Loach
Angelicus Loach
Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
 
Ghost Shrimp dead

I bought ghost shrimp at the fish store.

I have 3 betta aquariums and 3 others with just plants.
I put one ghost shrimp in each of the aquariums.
Each aquarium has its own internal filter.
All 6 died about the same time.

Then I bought 2 other much smaller ghost shrimp from a different store. Those 2 died but separately.

The only thing I had in the aquariums besides cycled water is black gravel and a plant tablet underneat the soil for plant fertilizer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep ghost shrimp and why mine might have died?
gblaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaca View Post
I bought ghost shrimp at the fish store.

I have 3 betta aquariums and 3 others with just plants.
I put one ghost shrimp in each of the aquariums.
Each aquarium has its own internal filter.
All 6 died about the same time.

Then I bought 2 other much smaller ghost shrimp from a different store. Those 2 died but separately.

The only thing I had in the aquariums besides cycled water is black gravel and a plant tablet underneat the soil for plant fertilizer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep ghost shrimp and why mine might have died?
I really don't know, except to say shrimp will die if they are exposed to copper. Is there any of that in the fertilizer?

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
I really don't know, except to say shrimp will die if they are exposed to copper. Is there any of that in the fertilizer?

Gwen
Hi Gwen,

The product I used was

JUNGLE LABORATORIES CORPORATION JUNGLE PLANT CARE SOLUTIONS PLANT FOOD TABS 0-0-6 PLUS IRON
(5.5% Ca, 0.7% Mg, 6.5% S, 0.02% B, 1% Fe, 0.2% Mn, 2% Na, 0.5% Humic Acid)

so you can see it does not contain copper.

Furthermore, I did a 50% water change with conditioned water before I put the Ghost Shrimp in the last tank so the water should have been less concentrated with whatever chemical was in there.

I do not understand why all the ghost shrimp (from 2 different sources) in 6 different tanks died unless my drinking water that I used at home contains copper in it - if copper is the reason.
gblaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaca View Post
Hi Gwen,

The product I used was

JUNGLE LABORATORIES CORPORATION JUNGLE PLANT CARE SOLUTIONS PLANT FOOD TABS 0-0-6 PLUS IRON
(5.5% Ca, 0.7% Mg, 6.5% S, 0.02% B, 1% Fe, 0.2% Mn, 2% Na, 0.5% Humic Acid)

so you can see it does not contain copper.

Furthermore, I did a 50% water change with conditioned water before I put the Ghost Shrimp in the last tank so the water should have been less concentrated with whatever chemical was in there.

I do not understand why all the ghost shrimp (from 2 different sources) in 6 different tanks died unless my drinking water that I used at home contains copper in it - if copper is the reason.
It may be nothing you did. Is is possible your fish are killing them? Or, it could just be they recently arrived at the store you got them and were shipped by getting too hot or whatever and died. I lost 2 of my ghost shrimp, and believe it may have been the Gourami I had in the tank, because he was aggressive with everything I put in there - had to move the 3 oto cats I had because he was always chasing them, and though I didn't see him go after the shrimp, that is what I'm thinking happened to them. The others I have in another tank are fine, and they all have the same water parameters. The good thing is they are cheap
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
 
InvertPlanet's Avatar
 
brackish water is needed
InvertPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertPlanet View Post
brackish water is needed

What? I've never heard GS are kept in brackish. I remember hearing from this site that my ghost shrimp would probably survive salt treatment when I had Ich, so I don't think they live for any length of time in salt. IMO :)

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
What? I've never heard GS are kept in brackish. I remember hearing from this site that my ghost shrimp would probably survive salt treatment when I had Ich, so I don't think they live for any length of time in salt. IMO :)

Gwen
Yeah. Ghost shrimp don't need brakish. What are you water parameters? What is the water temperature? What other fish in the tank?
ashokantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
 
InvertPlanet's Avatar
 
ghost shrimp can be kept in FW, but for breeding they need brackish. Brackish is the optimal condition to keep them for the long term.

EDIT: although some are FW only it really depends on the species you are keeping. "Ghost shrimp" does have a wide range and have been inter bread to meet certain conditions. Only the supplier of the shrimp can tell you where they sourced them from and under what conditions they were kept.

Last edited by InvertPlanet; 07-15-2011 at 05:26 PM..
InvertPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaca View Post
Hi Gwen,

The product I used was

JUNGLE LABORATORIES CORPORATION JUNGLE PLANT CARE SOLUTIONS PLANT FOOD TABS 0-0-6 PLUS IRON
(5.5% Ca, 0.7% Mg, 6.5% S, 0.02% B, 1% Fe, 0.2% Mn, 2% Na, 0.5% Humic Acid)

so you can see it does not contain copper.

Furthermore, I did a 50% water change with conditioned water before I put the Ghost Shrimp in the last tank so the water should have been less concentrated with whatever chemical was in there.

I do not understand why all the ghost shrimp (from 2 different sources) in 6 different tanks died unless my drinking water that I used at home contains copper in it - if copper is the reason.

I just want to know why the ghost shrimp died in 5 different tanks from 2 different sources. I did not have copper in the water unless it was a trace amount from my house water supply. They did eat some flake food I observed. Other than that I still have no idea, so if anyone can give information that would be helpful on this, I'd appreciate it as to the nature of the original topic: Ghost Shrimp dead
gblaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaca View Post
I just want to know why the ghost shrimp died in 5 different tanks from 2 different sources. I did not have copper in the water unless it was a trace amount from my house water supply. They did eat some flake food I observed. Other than that I still have no idea, so if anyone can give information that would be helpful on this, I'd appreciate it as to the nature of the original topic: Ghost Shrimp dead

I've had GS disappear, and figured the Gourami in the tank killed it. Sometimes you may not know. It could have been they were shipped in hot weather and you bought them shortly after they arrived, and they were just too stressed to live. I had one of my Dwarf Rainbow fish just up and die, no signs of problems before, no other fish got sick or died. Just happened. Maybe the gs lived his life expectancy. If you're keeping your water clean, conditioning water to get rid of chlorine, and provide a food source, there is not much else you can do. You posted this awhile back. Have you gotten more since than? Have new ones survived?

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
ghost shrimp dead

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.