new to site - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping » Introduce Yourself » new to site

new to site

This is a discussion on new to site within the Introduce Yourself forums, part of the Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping category; --> Thank you Byron for clearing that up. I'm taking a jar of water to fish store tomorrow when I get off from work and ...

Reply
Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #31
 
sonflowerjoela's Avatar
 
Thank you Byron for clearing that up. I'm taking a jar of water to fish store tomorrow when I get off from work and let them test it for me. I will also buy a new water hardness kit. The API Master Freshwater kit I ordered does not have hardness test in it. If my water is what you said does it mean I shouldn't try to keep Tetra and Gourami?
sonflowerjoela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #32
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonflowerjoela View Post
Thank you Byron for clearing that up. I'm taking a jar of water to fish store tomorrow when I get off from work and let them test it for me. I will also buy a new water hardness kit. The API Master Freshwater kit I ordered does not have hardness test in it. If my water is what you said does it mean I shouldn't try to keep Tetra and Gourami?
Don't buy a hardness test just yet, you may never need it. Once we know the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness, sometimes called Alkalinity) of your tap water, we will know where we stand. If the fish store wil test this, make sure you ask them for the numbers. "Medium hard" or "not bad" isn't what we want, we need to know the number.

Many of hte commonly available tetra and gourami will manage in medium hard and slightly basic pH water.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
 
sonflowerjoela's Avatar
 
Question Water test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Don't buy a hardness test just yet, you may never need it. Once we know the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness, sometimes called Alkalinity) of your tap water, we will know where we stand. If the fish store wil test this, make sure you ask them for the numbers. "Medium hard" or "not bad" isn't what we want, we need to know the number.

Many of hte commonly available tetra and gourami will manage in medium hard and slightly basic pH water.

Ok should I just take water from my faucet or fish tank? I have cleaned it and set it up with new plants.
I also used water conditioner to remove chlorine.
sonflowerjoela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #34
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonflowerjoela View Post
Ok should I just take water from my faucet or fish tank? I have cleaned it and set it up with new plants.
I also used water conditioner to remove chlorine.
Tap water straight from the tap, nothing added, is what we need to test for GH and KH.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #35
 
BarbH's Avatar
 
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to TFK
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
 
sonflowerjoela's Avatar
 
Water tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Tap water straight from the tap, nothing added, is what we need to test for GH and KH.
Hey Byron I took my water to the fish store tonight and he said my water was perfect. He did not give me any exact numbers. I will have my own test kit Monday and can do everything but the hardness. So since he said water was perfect I bought 6 rummy nose tetras, 2 turquoise rainbows (a pair), and 2 clown loaches. They have been in my tank since 6:30 pm central time and seem very happy. My water is crystal clear. It is 8:13 now. I will keep a close eye on them. I'm not sure what to do about finding out the gh and kh. Any suggestions? I have kept all of the fish I bought tonight in the past and the did well.
sonflowerjoela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #37
 
sonflowerjoela's Avatar
 
Thank you for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to TFK
Thank you so much! So glad to be here!!!
sonflowerjoela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonflowerjoela View Post
Hey Byron I took my water to the fish store tonight and he said my water was perfect. He did not give me any exact numbers. I will have my own test kit Monday and can do everything but the hardness. So since he said water was perfect I bought 6 rummy nose tetras, 2 turquoise rainbows (a pair), and 2 clown loaches. They have been in my tank since 6:30 pm central time and seem very happy. My water is crystal clear. It is 8:13 now. I will keep a close eye on them. I'm not sure what to do about finding out the gh and kh. Any suggestions? I have kept all of the fish I bought tonight in the past and the did well.
We need the numbers, otherwise we are guessing. But assuming the previous number of 180ppm you posted is close, that is 10 dGH. What is your pH (tap water), if you have the pH test? Shake a small jar of tap water thoroughly before testing for pH, to drive out the CO2 for a more accurate pH test.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Termato (03-20-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #39
 
sonflowerjoela's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
We need the numbers, otherwise we are guessing. But assuming the previous number of 180ppm you posted is close, that is 10 dGH. What is your pH (tap water), if you have the pH test? Shake a small jar of tap water thoroughly before testing for pH, to drive out the CO2 for a more accurate pH test.
The owner did not give numbers just said water was perfect. He did say ph was neutral. But no number.
I was told water company could tell, you is there a specific person to ask for? The girl who answered the phone did not know what I was talking about. Or is there a specific way to ask for the hardness of water because that is what I asked. I can't tell you anymore at this time. I will have master kit tomorrow and I'm going to go ahead and order a hardness test kit. At least it will be fresh and I will be able to give correct #'s to you. I hope I'm not wearing you out. I really appreciate all of your help!!!! Those water test strips are they worth anything? I was looking at them at Wal-Mart. You just dip in water but if it does not show same color as on the box you still know nothing right?
sonflowerjoela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #40
 
sonflowerjoela's Avatar
 
DO YOU RECOMMEND THE API GH& KH TEST KIT?
GH & KH Test Kit - API
sonflowerjoela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to the site baggy007 Introduce Yourself 3 02-20-2012 09:48 AM
New to the site... memorygirl Introduce Yourself 5 01-25-2012 02:44 PM
New Site Kellsindell Off Topic Discussions 8 12-16-2009 07:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.