manila newbie - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping » Introduce Yourself » manila newbie

manila newbie

This is a discussion on manila newbie within the Introduce Yourself forums, part of the Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping category; --> If you're interested to see my snails, here they are, Hoi polloi.:) I was already persuaded by the LFS owner to start keeping tiger ...

Reply
Old 12-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #31
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
If you're interested to see my snails, here they are, Hoi polloi.:) I was already persuaded by the LFS owner to start keeping tiger shrimps. I may try to invest in some and breed them.
http://www.fishforum.com/invertebrat...-snails-15092/
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #32
 
lupes, those shrimps and snails are really cool. definitely none of those for sale in these parts. will definitely hit cartimar this weekend to check some out.

and i am dead set on going planted. aside from the encountering the beautiful term-- 'low maintenance' repeatedly in the planted tank forums, the pics i see make my tank look like crap lately.

so for the 20g tank, whats a nice substrate? reading through the forums give me a hundred options. by the way, will i still need an air/water filter/pump? and when i buy those moss/grass(?) pads, do i lay them down like tiles and cover the entire floor area, or can i cut them into portions and scatter them and hope that they'll spread and cover the empty parts?

Last edited by hoi polloi; 12-05-2008 at 08:11 PM..
hoi polloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #33
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Well, if your filter is creating surface movements already, you do not need airpumps but you will need a battery operated one for power outages to avoid oxygen depletion. You could visit the Fishyguy affliate forum in PALHS. Angel Ampil sells substrate for plants. If by grass you mean dwarf sagittaria, just leave a few inches gap between each plant as you plant. They will cover the substrate soon after.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #34
 
lupes, so i went to cartimar last weekend and i think i was in the bonifacelan store (didn't bother to check store name outside) since i saw most of the stuff he was selling online. like the little mossballs in little bottles with little shrimps. i'm 98% sure i was in bonifacelan's and not letty's.

like i said, saw some small red and white shrimps and asked the price and they said there are some priced at 300 and some at 500 depending on their 'grade'.

in other stores, i saw some gray snails but presumed they were worthless because they were placed in some dirty plastic pail. so didn't bother to ask the price. they're like the snails that get mixed up in some 'kuhol' dishes. they're the narrow sort.

also saw what seems to be a grass pad. its maybe 12in x 12in and the lady calls them 'carpet'. is this any good? they're cheap at 100 compared to the similarly priced one at bonifacelan's except its an itty bitty 1.5in x 1.5in.

substrates, i saw some white sand(?) and some bicol river sand. what's the way to go? plants are also cheap in this store at P10 each, regardless of variety or color. bonifacelan's are priced much higher but they're from thailand i'm told.

in some of the planted tank pics, i see some guys laying down a pattern of pvc blue pipes before any substrate is introduced. whats this for and more importantly, do i need it when i go low-tech?
hoi polloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:21 AM   #35
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoi polloi View Post
lupes, so i went to cartimar last weekend and i think i was in the bonifacelan store (didn't bother to check store name outside) since i saw most of the stuff he was selling online. like the little mossballs in little bottles with little shrimps. i'm 98% sure i was in bonifacelan's and not letty's.
Ah...Good catch.

Quote:
like i said, saw some small red and white shrimps and asked the price and they said there are some priced at 300 and some at 500 depending on their 'grade'.
These are crystal red shrimps. I believe you encountered the SS grade which is indeed ridiculously expensive!

Quote:
in other stores, i saw some gray snails but presumed they were worthless because they were placed in some dirty plastic pail. so didn't bother to ask the price. they're like the snails that get mixed up in some 'kuhol' dishes. they're the narrow sort.
Could you please confirm if these are Pila conica? Click below link for reference.
Pila conica

I'm searching for them as I believe these are now endangered. I am planning to breed them to restore their population. They're the native snails the older generation would relate that they used to eat. Their declining population is due to the displacement by the invasive species, Pomacea canaliculata and overpoaching.

Quote:
also saw what seems to be a grass pad. its maybe 12in x 12in and the lady calls them 'carpet'. is this any good? they're cheap at 100 compared to the similarly priced one at bonifacelan's except its an itty bitty 1.5in x 1.5in.
Are these stuck on a rock? If so, it is Riccia fluitans, floating plants that are stuck with mesh to prevent from floating. If not, I think those are dwarf sagittaria but carpet plants like that are messy so you have to plant them individually.

Quote:
substrates, i saw some white sand(?) and some bicol river sand. what's the way to go? plants are also cheap in this store at P10 each, regardless of variety or color. bonifacelan's are priced much higher but they're from thailand i'm told.
Bicol river sand. The white sand is not likely to be inert and can alter your water chemistry too much.

Quote:
in some of the planted tank pics, i see some guys laying down a pattern of pvc blue pipes before any substrate is introduced. whats this for and more importantly, do i need it when i go low-tech?
Something like this?
River-Tank Manifold Design — Loaches Online
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #36
 
couldn't say if them snails were pila conica. will try to drop by again sometime and take a closer look. if they're worth keeping, then i'll consider them for my 20g soon-to-be planted tank. what will coexist peacefully with these snails?

the grass pads aren't stuck to a rock. they're just like square tiles. at their price, i think i'lljust cover the entire ground with these rather than wait for a few sporadic patches to spread out. are there any fish who can sort of 'mow' this grass, like feed on the grass tips? so i can have a landscaped look. or do i sink my arms in there and trim the grass with scissors?

ok bicol river sand it is, although its colored brown. i really prefer white as the light lands nicely on it. oh well...

i guess the blue piping is out of the question. i don't have loaches.
hoi polloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #37
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoi polloi View Post
couldn't say if them snails were pila conica. will try to drop by again sometime and take a closer look. if they're worth keeping, then i'll consider them for my 20g soon-to-be planted tank. what will coexist peacefully with these snails?
I don't know yet if Pila conica truly eats plants. I'm about to get a few specimens from Aklan so I can study them and breed. Will let you know by then if they are compatible with plants. Also, I'm going there in that place where you saw the snails so I'll have a look over them.

Quote:
the grass pads aren't stuck to a rock. they're just like square tiles. at their price, i think i'lljust cover the entire ground with these rather than wait for a few sporadic patches to spread out. are there any fish who can sort of 'mow' this grass, like feed on the grass tips? so i can have a landscaped look. or do i sink my arms in there and trim the grass with scissors?
They sound like Echinodorus tenellus to me. Carpet plants are messy as carpets. I'd plant them individually. You'll have to trim them yourself.

Quote:
ok bicol river sand it is, although its colored brown. i really prefer white as the light lands nicely on it. oh well...
Brown is more natural actually. Dump them in the tank and do plenty of water changes and vacuuming to remove the finer particles. It's easier than rinsing them through the tapwater. You could place filter floss in your filter and run it to vacuum out the particles as well.

Quote:
i guess the blue piping is out of the question. i don't have loaches.
It's not necessary.lol
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #38
 
well it has been almost a year and all my half-hearted attempts at planted tanks went kaput. my 80 and 20 gallon tanks are now just just sand, stones and snails. apparently, so-so lighting, poor substrate choices and co2 exclusively from fish poop won't a lush garden make. in fact, it can't even sustain a single leaf of grass.

and the recent manila typhoon caused long brownouts which killed most of my big fish - pacus and oscars. so i am left with another 1 80gallon with some high-finned upsidedown-swimming janitors and a dragonfin.

while this may turnoff most from the hobby, i am still determined to make it work. so here i go again in familiar territory - the beginning.
hoi polloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #39
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Sorry to hear of your troubles but I'm glad you didn't give up. Welcome back to the forum!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #40
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Welcome back, HP!

And here's a good catch. I am back to basics myself with goldfish.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi all, newbie dannywrc Introduce Yourself 10 02-14-2010 10:28 PM
Newbie! Skimmpy101 Introduce Yourself 6 12-24-2009 04:47 PM
Neo hobbyist from Manila jpd1107 Introduce Yourself 3 12-24-2008 08:55 PM
Newbie :) Gemmylou Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 12-22-2008 11:29 AM
Hello ! Newbie here ! Newbie alert. ha ha angelleah1981 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 12-06-2007 11:09 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.