Originally Posted by MetalArm3
My tank is finally giving me a nearly 0ppm ammonia reading after having 2 months of 8.0ppm ammonia readings. The only thing I changed was my filter. I took off the penguin 350 and installed an Eheim 2232 Ecco canister filter. How could my penguin filter not be sufficient enough for my rank (27gal)? It moves over 10X the necessary amount of water and had four legion filter mediastinum in it (max amount). I'm baffled yet extremely pleased!
Do be aware that if filter material in Eheim is new, that near zero ammonia levels may increase unless filter material from the Penguin was used to help seed the new filter.
I would NOT use ammolock in new filter, but rather I would use water changes and PRIME should ammonia levels begin to increase. If Decor and substrate were left alone,one may not see a rise in ammonia depending on number's of fish and or foods offered for there is much good bacteria on both plant's, decor,glass,wood,and first few centimeter's of substrate. But with new filter, with no borrowed filter media from old filter,,one may see a spike in ammonia until the bacteria can establish within the new filter.(again, depend's on stocking level's and feeding's)
If you did not add ammolock to the new filter,,then perhaps the ammolock was providing the false positive readings you were getting IMHO.
The less product's used in the aquarium,,the easier it is to identify/eliminate problems.