U.S. Native Tank - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » U.S. Native Tank

U.S. Native Tank

This is a discussion on U.S. Native Tank within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Mikaila31 why not just go catch some lol? Find what species are local to your certain area. There were my rainbow ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Eyespot Gourami
Eyespot Gourami
Colombian Tetra
Colombian Tetra
Reply
Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
why not just go catch some lol? Find what species are local to your certain area.

There were my rainbow darters I use to have they came from down the road ^_^. Gave them up when I got my kayak. See 100's of these guys in certain rivers around here.


WOW! Those are really cool. Will they spawn in a tank? I have kept a few native darters and gobies but never anything as beautiful as those. I don't think there is anything that colorful in my region.
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
 
BTW... Small American sunfish - Black Banded, Pumpkinseed, Green, and Long Eared to name a few - adapt well to aquariums and are very beautiful and interesting. They have neat personalities, (much like cichlids), and will even spawn, but the cold water requirements make them a challenge to keep long term. They need a several month period of cold water every year to thrive. It takes a pretty good sized tank too. They are quite popular in Europe I am told but may even be slightly illegal to keep in captivity in their native range. I have kept a few over the warmer months but released them in the fall.
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
 
DanMarion's Avatar
 
There are no Darters here in Idaho that I know of. I am in the process of setting up a Rocky Mountain River Biotope though. I think I'll get a 150-180 gallon aquarium with a good Chiller, a couple Rainbow Trout and a native Rocky Mountain Crawfish or two. Pictures will abound once I get it started!
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
 
Kazzy's Avatar
 
Found this site, thought it would be helpful for anyone else wanting to do a native tank!
NatureServe:
Kazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
 
Garfisher's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinAL View Post
BTW... Small American sunfish - Black Banded, Pumpkinseed, Green, and Long Eared to name a few - adapt well to aquariums and are very beautiful and interesting. They have neat personalities, (much like cichlids), and will even spawn, but the cold water requirements make them a challenge to keep long term. They need a several month period of cold water every year to thrive. It takes a pretty good sized tank too. They are quite popular in Europe I am told but may even be slightly illegal to keep in captivity in their native range. I have kept a few over the warmer months but released them in the fall.
My friend keeps his fish at a constant temp all year and they do perfectly fine (he has two pumpkinseeds, a redbreast sunfish and a bluegill)
Garfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfisher View Post
My friend keeps his fish at a constant temp all year and they do perfectly fine (he has two pumpkinseeds, a redbreast sunfish and a bluegill)
My research tells me they will live, but not breed (and therefore "thrive") without an anual period of cold temps - in the upper 50's to low 60's Fahrenheit at least. Seeing is believing though so if your friend's fish spawn I would say I stand corrected.

The ones I kept adapted extemely well and did fantastic throughout the Summer months in tropical temps, but I didn't chance keeping them at high temps for longer than that.
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #17
 
small fry's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazzy View Post
Found this site, thought it would be helpful for anyone else wanting to do a native tank!
NatureServe:
Thanks Kazzy! I had no idea that my local river had so many beautiful fish! I am going to have to go netting!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
 
Kazzy's Avatar
 
No problem! Yeah, I didn't realize the diversity in my area either :D
Kazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #19
 
Garfisher's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinAL View Post
My research tells me they will live, but not breed (and therefore "thrive") without an anual period of cold temps - in the upper 50's to low 60's Fahrenheit at least. Seeing is believing though so if your friend's fish spawn I would say I stand corrected.

The ones I kept adapted extemely well and did fantastic throughout the Summer months in tropical temps, but I didn't chance keeping them at high temps for longer than that.
He had them spawn once, or at least one pumpkinseed wanted to spawn and took over the tank for a couple weeks. He did report seeing eggs but nothing materialized fry-wise. I forget what set them off, but the tank didnt get nearly that cold. Here is a native that can be found as a hitchhiker in ghost shrimp tanks at LFS's:

The Swamp Darter, not that colourful, but still an interesting little fish.
Garfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #20
 
Kazzy's Avatar
 
So going to look into the shrimp tanks a lot more closely now!
Kazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plants for native freshwater tank mnangler Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 01-06-2010 10:03 PM
New native amphibian tank fishfreak2009 Other Aquatic Environments Journals 4 09-17-2009 09:31 PM
Native Cyprinids fishfreak2009 Cyprinids and Atherinids 1 08-08-2009 09:38 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.