Of these, Which is best for Water Cycling? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Of these, Which is best for Water Cycling?

-1 Red Tail Shark
-1 Angelfish
-5 Tiger Barbs
-1 Pleco
-10 Neon Tetras

Looking for 2-5 fish to water cycle a new tank, obviously these need to be hardier fish. I have a 55 gallon. Thank you so much, you guys have been great at answering my questions.
Sj45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Danios survive the best,they're pretty cool too. you'll be advised to do a fish-free cycle here though.Search tank cycling,It's a long process for me to describe, but there are many well written posts on this forum.I was shocked when a staffer at a private store said for me to "finish up" with danios.Good luck, do read up.
catfishtabbi is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Pure ammonia will cycle a tank faster then it will with fish in it. If your planning on cycling with fish your going to have to do frequent water changes to keep the fish alive disrupting the cycling process.
Can you do it with fish?
Yes, you can cycle a tank with fish.
Are there other options?
Yes, as I have mentioned, cycling with ammonia without fish is fish friendly and a better solution.
If you want more on doing a "fishless cycle" (this is the method with pure ammonia) search these forums, google fishless cycle or ask questions.
Finally, the red tailed shark and common plecos will for sure get to large for a 55 gallon.
onefish2fish is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
I have never kept neon tetras, but I will admit to cycling an aquarium with tiger barbs. No deaths, but it was a lot of hard work. Lots of water test, and water changes. Almost daily water changes for a couple weeks. I know its no fun looking at a fishless tank, but a fishless cycle is a whole lot easier. Giant danios are highly recommended for fish cycles. It is said they deal very well with high nitrites.
Twistersmom is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
Pure ammonia will cycle a tank faster then it will with fish in it. If your planning on cycling with fish your going to have to do frequent water changes to keep the fish alive disrupting the cycling process.
Can you do it with fish?
Yes, you can cycle a tank with fish.
Are there other options?
Yes, as I have mentioned, cycling with ammonia without fish is fish friendly and a better solution.
If you want more on doing a "fishless cycle" (this is the method with pure ammonia) search these forums, google fishless cycle or ask questions.
Finally, the red tailed shark and common plecos will for sure get to large for a 55 gallon.
A red tailed shark will not out grow a 55 gallon, already talked to an expert. (yes, i know they lie quite often at aquarium shops) and yes, depending on the kind, a pleco "may outgrow an aquarium.

Liveaquaria.com search red tailed sharks.
Sj45 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
a red tailed shark may not physically out grow the tank but will be territorial against other tank mates.
onefish2fish is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
and for the record liveaquaria isnt always right. i just went there and started looking at bala sharks. it says 70 gallon tank minimum best in groups 3 or more. if you keep 3 in a 75 gallon tank they will grow about a foot each. this will not work, and pref. balas should be kept 6+ which would require a large tank.
onefish2fish is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
a red tailed shark may not physically out grow the tank but will be territorial against other tank mates.
that may be.
Sj45 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
and for the record liveaquaria isnt always right. i just went there and started looking at bala sharks. it says 70 gallon tank minimum best in groups 3 or more. if you keep 3 in a 75 gallon tank they will grow about a foot each. this will not work, and pref. balas should be kept 6+ which would require a large tank.
I agree, bala sharks need a 125 gallon tank preferably for one or two, many people put this fish in too small of a tank. Not to mention they need schools.
Sj45 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
The are the fish I'm using.

55 Gallon

-10x Zebra Danio
-3x Angelfish
-5x Velvet Red Swordtail
-3x Albino Cory Cat
-3x Clown Loach
-3x Black Mollie
-1x Red Tailed Shark
-1x General Pleco
-1x Snail

10 Gallon

Quarantine

37 Gallon (Wanted)

Not Sure

150 Gallon (Wanted)

-5x Bala Shark
-2x Neon Blue Goarami
-5x Clown Loach
-1x Black Knife Ghost
Sj45 is offline  
Reply

Tags
water cycling

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloudy water - cycling tank DanMarion Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 04-16-2010 05:54 PM
Water Change After Cycling Major25 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 11-24-2009 08:48 AM
Beginner stuff: Cycling and Water Changes stephanieleah Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 26 11-15-2009 11:18 AM
Water changes in a cycling tank. jamieson Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 03-03-2008 10:02 AM
water testing of 10G-cycling questions sakemomo Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 13 02-07-2008 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome