Ten gallon stocking - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
Question Ten gallon stocking

So let's say that I have a ten gallon with 3 platies (1 male 2 females). I also have 2 cories (which I am thinking of rehoming because they were kind of rescued). Could I have room for a scarlet badis? They seem really neat. Would it bug my RCS? Thanks!
maxw47 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
So let's say that I have a ten gallon with 3 platies (1 male 2 females). I also have 2 cories (which I am thinking of rehoming because they were kind of rescued). Could I have room for a scarlet badis? They seem really neat. Would it bug my RCS? Thanks!
This would be your tank with your suggestions:


I think you should keep the corys in there...maybe even get one more? This is assuming it is a small cory like the bronze cory about 3" max size.

Do you have plants in the tank? with plants that would not be a problem. Make sure you drip acclimate the scarlet badis so not to shock him.

This would be your tank with the 3rd cory. the corys would be happier:

Termato is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
Good idea on using that site! Why didn't. I think of that idea? I do have live plants. The cories are panda cories which are, from my knowlage, a smaller species. Would the scarlet badis do anything to my shrimp? I did forget to mention that I have a bunch of platy fry in a hang on refugium. If that changes stocking at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
maxw47 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
Good idea on using that site! Why didn't. I think of that idea? I do have live plants. The cories are panda cories which are, from my knowlage, a smaller species. Would the scarlet badis do anything to my shrimp? I did forget to mention that I have a bunch of platy fry in a hang on refugium. If that changes stocking at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
That would change your stocking.

Panda Cory are smaller species. I wish I had some.

Well because you only have 2 corys it will be fine getting the badis now. Especially because their in their own net. You should get another tank just for the fry because when they get bigger...it will be a problem. Once you do that just get the other cory.
Termato is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
Wait, who are you saying is in a separate net? I might set up a 20 long or a 50 in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
maxw47 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
Wait, who are you saying is in a separate net? I might set up a 20 long or a 50 in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
The baby fry in the hang on refugium...i didnt mean net...it could be plastic for all i know.

Does the holder of the fry allow the tank water to flow through it?
Termato is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
The hang on refugium is this small plastic (it runs about half the length of my 10 gallon) tank. It has a bubbler that sucks water up into it ( kind of like how a sponge filter sucks water up) and then it overflows out back into the tank. Pretty cool actually. It keeps all of them safe and sound, while having a steady flow, and it doesn't take up space in the aquarium.
maxw47 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
The hang on refugium is this small plastic (it runs about half the length of my 10 gallon) tank. It has a bubbler that sucks water up into it ( kind of like how a sponge filter sucks water up) and then it overflows out back into the tank. Pretty cool actually. It keeps all of them safe and sound, while having a steady flow, and it doesn't take up space in the aquarium.
How much was that?
Termato is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
I got it for $15 at my LFS. I haven't seen them at any stores like petsmart or petco. If you want the name, it is the hang on holding and breeding box. I have the large.
maxw47 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
Good idea on using that site! Why didn't. I think of that idea? I do have live plants. The cories are panda cories which are, from my knowlage, a smaller species. Would the scarlet badis do anything to my shrimp? I did forget to mention that I have a bunch of platy fry in a hang on refugium. If that changes stocking at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would not recommend a Scarlet Badis with large fish (the livebearers compared to the tiny Badis are huge). Badis can be intimidated. They can also be fussy eaters, requiring live food and if lucky frozen; prepared foods are not always eaten. I have three in my 10g, and a shrimp; the Badis is much too small to bother a shrimp. The platy if full grown might eat the shrimp. And three platy in a 10hg is about it, although the corys are OK.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Termato (03-31-2012)
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking Advice Needed - 29 Gallon & 10 Gallon Termato Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 22 03-21-2012 03:01 PM
Stocking a 40 Gallon bigfish93 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 01-26-2012 09:29 PM
Stocking 36 gallon Iaml0st815 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 10 03-07-2011 09:09 AM
Stocking the 10 gallon Aqua Jon Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 07-29-2010 08:19 AM
Stocking my 105-gallon display tank and 20 gallon sump fishr4life Saltwater Fish 2 01-27-2008 02:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome