11-21-2010, 12:12 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by Byron
A caution on any water changes. The tank water is probably acidic (pH below 7) so the ammonia is actually harmless ammonium. If you add tap water that is basic (pH above 7) and it raises the tank's pH above 7, the ammonium will immediately change into ammonia and poison your fish. I don't know your tap water pH, but slow minimal water changes are better if it is as I've described above.
The fish have become adapted to the changes slowly over the week; they should be similarly returned slowly to normal. Nitrates is another issue similar to pH and ammonia. Use a very good water conditioner; Prime would be ideal in this instance as it handles ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in some measure.
Thus is the problem (my fault) with responding to post's without pertinent information in the form of water parameter's.
I would agree with Byron and information above but would submit that in this case,, that changing fifty percent of the water that remained in the tank ,(estimated 50 percent percent) would dilute ammonia levels present by one half .
Could only assume, (always a bad thing) that for the month the tank was neglected ,,that the fishes were swimming in their own feces(no water changes) for that duration and therefore in my mind,,,the 50 percent water change followed by another 50 percent three day's later along with filter maint and cleaning up the substrate as described.
Much better in my view,my tanks, to dilute possible ammonia level's with addition of fresh dechlorinated water and risk the sudden change in pH (perhaps) than to let the fishes continue in water possibly quite high in ammonia due to afore mentioned lack of water changes and possible overfeeding,and or over stocked tank.(opinon's vary)