?tank Advice?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » ?tank Advice?

?tank Advice?

This is a discussion on ?tank Advice? within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Ok, so I am intersested in goldfish, tropicals, and brackish fish, and tanks size 1.5-55 gallons.. Can you give me some advice on good ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Neon Tetra
Neon Tetra
Dwarf Pencilfish
Dwarf Pencilfish
Reply
Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
 
Question ?tank Advice?

Ok, so I am intersested in goldfish, tropicals, and brackish fish, and tanks size 1.5-55 gallons.. Can you give me some advice on good tanks to setup? Here are a few I was thinking of (I'm not gonna do them all)

55 gallon- 2 goldfish, 7 zebra danios, 3 weather loaches

1.5 gallon- 4 zebra danios

5 gallon (brackish)- 2 bumblebee gobies, 3 black mollies, ghost shrimp

10 gallon- 3 guppies, 7 neon tetras, ghost shrimp, mystery snail

29 gallon- 2 goldfish

20 gallon-

55 gallon- pleco, guppies, neon tetras, angel fish, ECT?????

5 gallon- dwarf puffer

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE TAKEN!!!!!!!!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
 
beweeb's Avatar
 
do the 55 gallon the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain(in most aspects)
dont do the angel and neons cuz a full grown angel can easily eat the neons
try a 2 big schools 1 school of neons and 1 of rumminose tetras heavily planted
some drift wood a L14 pleco http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery...?imageid=15455 and a school of cool corys
beweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
1) 55 gallon- 2 goldfish, 7 zebra danios, 3 weather loaches

2) 1.5 gallon- 4 zebra danios

3) 5 gallon (brackish)- 2 bumblebee gobies, 3 black mollies, ghost shrimp

4) 10 gallon- 3 guppies, 7 neon tetras, ghost shrimp, mystery snail

5) 29 gallon- 2 goldfish

6) 20 gallon-

7) 55 gallon- pleco, guppies, neon tetras, angel fish, ECT?????

8) 5 gallon- dwarf puffer
1) goldfish are cold water fish, messy and grow very large
2) 4 danios in a gallon means water params will get out of whack quickly
3) mollies need to be acclimated to salt conditions
4) i would skip the guppies esp. if its a male/female combo
5) as stated, messy fish that grow very large
6) looking for ideas?
7) common plecos grow to a foot and a half and even larger, guppies reproduce like jack rabbits and angel fish will have territorial issues
8) this sounds nice just keep in mind puffers need live foods
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
1. The combination is fine. Zebra danios are pretty tolerant of slightly cooler temperatures.

2. Ditch the tank and replace with a 5g. You can put a couple of Pomacea diffusa there along with six ember tetras.

3. The only problem is mollies. They need plenty of space if these are not the balloon variants. Why not replace them with nerite snails instead? Nerites are very pretty to look at. Do make sure to feed them plenty of algae.

4. This one is fine.

5. Which goldfish do you have? If these are ryukins or pearlscales, two should work otherwise keep one only. If these goldies are unlikely to harass the snails, then you can place some mystery snails there to add color. This may require twice a week water change depending on how much food you give them.

6. Snails. Where are you located? You could give Pomacea haustrum, Pomacea canaliculata or Pomacea insularum a try. Insularums are best kept by themselves as males are rather violent and may squash smaller females in their attempts to copulate with them. These are all illegal to obtain from other states but if you can obtain them within your state, then this is okay.

7. Be careful with neons and angels. Neons are noted to be the natural prey of angels and definitely are. Try the black neons instead. Other tankmates will include blue rams, hatchetfish and pencilfish. As for plecos, try the smaller species such as the L010a, bristlenose plecos, clown plecos, queen arabesque, king tiger, Rineloricaria parva, Sturisoma panamense, Farlowella acus or green phantoms.

8. This is fine.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
8.) I started out with my two dwarf puffers in a 5gal. One of the puffers did not like it so well. Always pacing up and down the glass. They do that when bored or stressed. I moved them into a 10gal, and that fixed the problem. Maybe only keep one if its in a 5gal. They can be selective eaters. Mine will only eat blackworms and bloodworms. I also have a few small snails in the tank, to help with grinding their teeth down, but I have not seen them eating the snails for a long time now.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beweeb View Post
do the 55 gallon the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain(in most aspects)
dont do the angel and neons cuz a full grown angel can easily eat the neons
try a 2 big schools 1 school of neons and 1 of rumminose tetras heavily planted
some drift wood a L14 pleco http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery...?imageid=15455 and a school of cool corys
Sounds great!!! I am going to have anywhere from 2-5 more tanks!!!! :P
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
1) goldfish are cold water fish, messy and grow very large
2) 4 danios in a gallon means water params will get out of whack quickly
3) mollies need to be acclimated to salt conditions
4) i would skip the guppies esp. if its a male/female combo
5) as stated, messy fish that grow very large
6) looking for ideas?
7) common plecos grow to a foot and a half and even larger, guppies reproduce like jack rabbits and angel fish will have territorial issues
8) this sounds nice just keep in mind puffers need live foods
Yes, I know that goldfish grow very large, That is why I am putting 3-4 in a 55 gallon, not in a bowl!!!!!

2. I already have a 1.5 not in use, and that was reccomended by someone. Its only male guppies. on # 6 tes, I'm looking for ideas. 7, I was thinking maybe a bristle nose pleco. All MALE guppies.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
1. The combination is fine. Zebra danios are pretty tolerant of slightly cooler temperatures.

2. Ditch the tank and replace with a 5g. You can put a couple of Pomacea diffusa there along with six ember tetras.

3. The only problem is mollies. They need plenty of space if these are not the balloon variants. Why not replace them with nerite snails instead? Nerites are very pretty to look at. Do make sure to feed them plenty of algae.

4. This one is fine.

5. Which goldfish do you have? If these are ryukins or pearlscales, two should work otherwise keep one only. If these goldies are unlikely to harass the snails, then you can place some mystery snails there to add color. This may require twice a week water change depending on how much food you give them.

6. Snails. Where are you located? You could give Pomacea haustrum, Pomacea canaliculata or Pomacea insularum a try. Insularums are best kept by themselves as males are rather violent and may squash smaller females in their attempts to copulate with them. These are all illegal to obtain from other states but if you can obtain them within your state, then this is okay.

7. Be careful with neons and angels. Neons are noted to be the natural prey of angels and definitely are. Try the black neons instead. Other tankmates will include blue rams, hatchetfish and pencilfish. As for plecos, try the smaller species such as the L010a, bristlenose plecos, clown plecos, queen arabesque, king tiger, Rineloricaria parva, Sturisoma panamense, Farlowella acus or green phantoms.

8. This is fine.
k. thanks. on number 2 I already have a 1.5 gallon and idk what to do with it..... Shrimp or a snail???? I don't have goldfish yet. I am planning on ryukins. 6. I live in Kansas. Oh, I guess I won't be putting any neons in there!!! THAnK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! THIS IS REALLY HELPFUL!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
 
Also, if anyone wants to reccomend any other fish feel free too!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
 
For a brackish:

10G tank with one Figure 8 puffer?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new tank advice please robbo87 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 32 01-08-2010 12:53 PM
need advice on new tank jjtf00 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 12 11-12-2009 08:41 PM
90g tank--need advice bigsez Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 02-18-2008 01:36 PM
Converting a Marine tank to a Tropical Tank, Advice needed morvernvalley Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 10-15-2007 01:20 PM


Tags
brackish, goldfish, tank help, tank setup, tropical

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.