Taking Back Rainbow Shark
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Taking Back Rainbow Shark

Taking Back Rainbow Shark

This is a discussion on Taking Back Rainbow Shark within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> As you can see, in my signature, I thought I had a "red tailed shark" but I actually have a "rainbow shark" (difference being ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Scalare Angelfish
Scalare Angelfish
Blind Cave Tetra
Blind Cave Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Taking Back Rainbow Shark
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Taking Back Rainbow Shark

As you can see, in my signature, I thought I had a "red tailed shark" but I actually have a "rainbow shark" (difference being the red tailed has just a red tail where the rainbow has all red fins) i'd much rather prefer the red tailed over my rainbow but it's been probably 2 weeks since I bought the fish. He is perfectly healthy but the fish store won't take him back will they? and seeing they fight w/ others I can't put more than 1 in a fish tank.

Details: I did not ask for the return policy...

I am a perfectionist and everything has to be perfect, ahh bothers me :P ok thanks.
Sj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
 
i was going to get a RTBS but i ended up getting a rainbow shark for the color. I like the different colors. Mine has worked out great so far.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
i was going to get a RTBS but i ended up getting a rainbow shark for the color. I like the different colors. Mine has worked out great so far.
I myself kind of prefer the "RTBS" i assume but it's good thing we disagree :) both will be bought.
Sj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
 
well goodluck.

Hopefully he still ends up in a decent place.

Are you going to stock your tank with anything else?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
 
1077's Avatar
 
Most recommend ONE shark if you have to have one, per tank. They don't appear to bother other upper level to mid level swimming fish. But I recently returned a rainbow shark approx 5 inches to the store for it began nipping the tails and dorsals of corycats and seemed intent on pestering kuhli loaches whenever it found them. Pity,, Despite numerous places for it to call it's own, It seemed intent on claiming the entire lower region of 75 gal tank which is what I believe minimum should be. I find no serinity in a fish that aimlessly swims back and forth from one end to the other due to lack of space or lack of hiding or resting areas. the more you can provide of both, the happier the fish will be.
Two small 3 inch sharks could work in 55 gal for a while but i fear it would only be a matter of time before one kills the other outright,,, or stresses it to the point that it succumbs to parasite or disease.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
well goodluck.

Hopefully he still ends up in a decent place.

Are you going to stock your tank with anything else?
yes, a couple angelfish are on the way and most probably a pleco :)
Sj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Most recommend ONE shark if you have to have one, per tank. They don't appear to bother other upper level to mid level swimming fish. But I recently returned a rainbow shark approx 5 inches to the store for it began nipping the tails and dorsals of corycats and seemed intent on pestering kuhli loaches whenever it found them. Pity,, Despite numerous places for it to call it's own, It seemed intent on claiming the entire lower region of 75 gal tank which is what I believe minimum should be. I find no serinity in a fish that aimlessly swims back and forth from one end to the other due to lack of space or lack of hiding or resting areas. the more you can provide of both, the happier the fish will be.
Two small 3 inch sharks could work in 55 gal for a while but i fear it would only be a matter of time before one kills the other outright,,, or stresses it to the point that it succumbs to parasite or disease.
I hear you but I do fully believe, a red tailed shark should fully be able to live in a 55 gallon, that's a lot of room for a 4-5" fish. claiming the whole bottom is from what I would assume rarer as they usually claim a cove or corner of the tank. I believe Petco should take un-wanted fish for free, but I'm not sure. I got him cheap, $2.
Sj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
 
1077's Avatar
 
The one I returned was a rainbow shark and of the two,, the black red finned are the more aggressive. I hope it works out for you.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
The one I returned was a rainbow shark and of the two,, the black red finned are the more aggressive. I hope it works out for you.
I should be alright, He'll have a couple rocks + plants to call his own in a tank of fair size.
Sj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
 
hrm. Let me know how it goes with the angelfish.

Ive been looking for another fish to add since i still have alot of space i could add fish with.

Im wondering how well they will do with your low amount of barbs
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
taking a step back.... some insight please Andrewz00 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 04-08-2010 10:15 AM
rainbow shark mullinsd2 Cyprinids and Atherinids 6 06-12-2009 04:17 AM
rainbow shark taylorg Catfish 4 01-23-2009 12:45 AM
Rainbow Shark cullens089 Fish Breeding 2 09-02-2007 05:21 PM
rainbow shark sharkid Cyprinids and Atherinids 3 02-19-2007 06:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.