Stocking Tank, Bala and Angel - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Stocking Tank, Bala and Angel

Stocking Tank, Bala and Angel

This is a discussion on Stocking Tank, Bala and Angel within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Nothing to add on the previous good advice on cycling. Couple comments on the fish though. Mollies would be fine, especially if your water ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey
Panda Corydoras
Panda Corydoras
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Stocking Tank, Bala and Angel
Old 11-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Nothing to add on the previous good advice on cycling. Couple comments on the fish though.

Mollies would be fine, especially if your water is on the basic (alkaline) side; perfect for livebearers. Do not use pH adjusters with fish in the tank. The pH of water is connected to the KH (carbonate hardness) and the KH buffers the pH so chemicals added to change it are temporary and the buffering capacity will change it back, the result continual fluctuation which is very stressful on fish--and stress always leads to trouble with health problems. Know the pH and hardness of your tap water,since this is what you'll be using for weekly partial water changes, and acquire fish that are compatible with those parameters.

Do you intend live plants? Mollies love to nibble algae off plant leaves. Vallisneria would grow very well in water suitable for mollies.

Forget the angels, in my view. They are shoaling fish that prefer to be in a group, and a 30g is not enough room for these fish.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
 
Just as an update, yesterday afternoon I brought home two dalmatian mollies and a balloon molly! They seem to be happy, swimming around and exploring a lot. I got my water tested and the guy at the store said my water seemed to be perfect at the moment, the ph is about 7 and the amonia levels were good (this is the water from my tank just before I added the fish). I did use ph down 4 days before I put the fish in because when I first got the water tested a week ago the ph was high, around 7.8.

One of the dalmatian mollies seems to be having some trouble eating the flakes so far, even the smaller pieces she just spits back out, she's keeping a few of them down but she has been spitting most of them back out. the other dalmatian molly and the balloon molly spit some of the food out too but they have been eating more. I'm going to break the flakes up into even smaller pieces next time i feed them later on today.


Oh yea I almost forgot, I added about a teaspoon of freshwater aquarium salt in the tank (30 gallon) too, because I read online that mollies like a little bit of salt in their water

Last edited by Major25; 11-29-2009 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention the salt I added to the tank
Major25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major25 View Post
Just as an update, yesterday afternoon I brought home two dalmatian mollies and a balloon molly! They seem to be happy, swimming around and exploring a lot. I got my water tested and the guy at the store said my water seemed to be perfect at the moment, the ph is about 7 and the amonia levels were good (this is the water from my tank just before I added the fish). I did use ph down 4 days before I put the fish in because when I first got the water tested a week ago the ph was high, around 7.8.

One of the dalmatian mollies seems to be having some trouble eating the flakes so far, even the smaller pieces she just spits back out, she's keeping a few of them down but she has been spitting most of them back out. the other dalmatian molly and the balloon molly spit some of the food out too but they have been eating more. I'm going to break the flakes up into even smaller pieces next time i feed them later on today.


Oh yea I almost forgot, I added about a teaspoon of freshwater aquarium salt in the tank (30 gallon) too, because I read online that mollies like a little bit of salt in their water
I do not recommend using pH Down or any similar adjusting chemicals to alter pH. First, they are chemical and they can negatively affect some fish, long-term or short-term depending upon species. Second, your water has a pH for a reason, often due to the carbonate hardness (expressed as dKH or in ppm KH). This carbonate hardness buffers the pH in the water. Using adjusters will cause the pH to change, then the buffers work to bring it back. The resulting fluctuation is very stressful for fish, again some more-so than others; it can lead to internal problems and immune system issues.

In the case of livebearers, a pH of 7.8 is fine. If that is what comes out of your tap, leave it. They like the mineral, and algae will be easier to grow and mollies love nibbling algae. So benefits all around. Include some of the vegetable flake foods in their diet, algae, spirulina, etc.

Last word on salt: with mollies OK, but not necessary. I am of the group that does not recommend using salt in any freshwater aquaria except in certain cases for medicinal purposes, and then only with fish that are not especially sensitive. It is best avoided in general applications. There is a good article here Frequently asked questions on using salt | Practical Fishkeeping magazine and it is no surprise that all the authorities cited in this article say the same, do not use salt in a freshwater aquarium except as medication for specific issues.

Byron.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
 
Thanks for your advice, I only used ph down before any fish were in the tank but I see how it can still become an issue when the ph begins to rise again, I used it before I decided on mollies, so i regret it now but I wont be using it any more.

the container for the salt said to add 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons, which seemed like a lot to me, so I only put in one teaspoon for the entire 30 gallons, but if you recommend not using it then I wont any more.

what do you think about the mollies spitting some of their food back out? do you think just breaking it down into much smaller pieces is the solution? or is that normal behavior?
Major25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major25 View Post

what do you think about the mollies spitting some of their food back out? do you think just breaking it down into much smaller pieces is the solution? or is that normal behavior?
I am guessing, that your flakes are a new food for them. Fish often spit food back out, when trying it for the first time. The more different type foods you can offer, the better. Mollies do well, with veggie type food in their diet, as Byron stated. You can try offering some algae waffers. I also feed mine peas, with skin removed.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
 
ok cool, yea i have some tropical flakes that I've been giving them, I also have some freeze dried bloodworms and some sun dried baby shrimp that i can give them, I'll stop by the pet store later today to get some veggie flakes and algae wafers too so they can get a large variety in their foods
Major25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
Sounds like a good plan! Just be careful not to overfeed, this being a new set up. The more they eat, the more ammonia. If you notice a spike in ammonia/nitrite, a pwc will help control levels. The fish will be fine if you feed them little or no food for a few days, until ammonia/nitrite are at safe levels.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
 
thanks for the heads up, it is tempting to feed them, my plan is to keep the feeding to twice a day, unless i do notice high levels of ammonia. I'll keep getting the water tested every couple days as well. thanks a lot, i love these guys (girls actually)!
Major25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
Glad you are enjoying the new girls! I know, I feed my fish more than I should. It's nice seeing them so excited over food, sometimes you just give in.


*** just read Byron's post bellow. LOL. He is correct, don't be a fooled sucker, like me!
In the long run, it will be better for you fish.

Last edited by Twistersmom; 11-29-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major25 View Post
thanks for the heads up, it is tempting to feed them, my plan is to keep the feeding to twice a day, unless i do notice high levels of ammonia. I'll keep getting the water tested every couple days as well. thanks a lot, i love these guys (girls actually)!
Once a day is more than enough. Some members here would even recommend alternate days. I certainly would not feed twice a day, particularly as TM mentioned it being a new tank.

Only fry need more feedings, not mature fish. They will always appear hungry (or should if healthy), don't be fooled into thinking they are starving. Fish eat when they see food, since their instinct is to not know when they may see it again, so they are not going to ignore it unless something is wrong.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bala shark minimum tank size? 1stAquarium Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 04-07-2010 04:52 PM
Angel Fish tank 6998 Cichlids 5 09-16-2009 05:18 PM
Can a Jack Dempsey exist in the same tank as a Bala Shark? paytheplayer Cichlids 1 08-02-2008 06:28 AM
10g tank with bala shark and dwarf gourami closeyetfar Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 16 03-26-2008 03:12 PM
55 gal Angel-based tank Twisted_Angel Cichlids 39 04-25-2007 12:58 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.