Stocking for SOFT WATER 45 gallon... - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Stocking for SOFT WATER 45 gallon...

Stocking for SOFT WATER 45 gallon...

This is a discussion on Stocking for SOFT WATER 45 gallon... within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Thanks again Byron! So I think the barb choices are out, unless I get both cherry and black ruby? Or will they still target ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Pretty Tetra
Pretty Tetra
Golden Pencilfish
Golden Pencilfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Stocking for SOFT WATER 45 gallon...
Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
 
LyzzaRyzz's Avatar
 
Thanks again Byron!
So I think the barb choices are out, unless I get both cherry and black ruby? Or will they still target the gups?

I can have the rasbora and the tetra together?

Another question I have is what to add when. Since I have the guppies already, I'm figuring they should go first. Then I was thinking a group of tetra, then some cories, the other group of tetra, the Bolivian ram, then more cories.
Should I change that up?

Obviously I'll only add two or three to the big tank at a time, to not over load the bioload. But how often should I add the two or three? I don't want the first three to get stressed because there isnt a group, or the last three.

And for the tetras, is there a specific male to female ratio needed?

Last edited by LyzzaRyzz; 07-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Barb, not barn!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
So I think the barb choices are out, unless I get both cherry and black ruby? Or will they still target the gups?
The guppy issue was activeness, they move around. It's been decades since i had guppies though so I can't remember the extent.

Quote:
I can have the rasbora and the tetra together?
Depending upon species of tetra, yes.

Quote:
Another question I have is what to add when. Since I have the guppies already, I'm figuring they should go first. Then I was thinking a group of tetra, then some cories, the other group of tetra, the Bolivian ram, then more cories.
Should I change that up?

Obviously I'll only add two or three to the big tank at a time, to not over load the bioload. But how often should I add the two or three? I don't want the first three to get stressed because there isnt a group, or the last three.
Add the entire group for the species at once. Example, if you are going to get say 9 rummynose tetra, add all nine together. Wait a few days, then add the next species, and so on. But if you have the tank well planted, numbers don't really matter...however, in new tanks I would still suggest this. Are you intending to quarantine new fish once the tank is initially stocked (with the guppies)?

Quote:
And for the tetras, is there a specific male to female ratio needed?
Depends upon species in some cases, but generally a mix of equal male/female (when this can be determined) is best. The profiles will mention species that need more females to males.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
 
LyzzaRyzz's Avatar
 
Yes I am going to quarantine the new fish for two weeks.
But with only nine fish to begin with, adding nine more fish, wouldn't that give me a mini cycle?
I'm still working on getting an adequate light, so the only plants I have are some water sprite and java moss. It's made my ammonia go down, but still not enough to add more fish. In the tank now it a rosy red minnow.

I'm doing every other day 30% w/c and my ammonia doesn't go above .25, and two hours after w/c, my ammonia is at .10.
Should I add a few of the gups? Would that help it cycle faster? Or do I just have to wait?
Won't the plants I have make it hard to tell when the cycle starts/ends?
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Yes I am going to quarantine the new fish for two weeks.
But with only nine fish to begin with, adding nine more fish, wouldn't that give me a mini cycle?
I'm still working on getting an adequate light, so the only plants I have are some water sprite and java moss. It's made my ammonia go down, but still not enough to add more fish. In the tank now it a rosy red minnow.

I'm doing every other day 30% w/c and my ammonia doesn't go above .25, and two hours after w/c, my ammonia is at .10.
Should I add a few of the gups? Would that help it cycle faster? Or do I just have to wait?
Won't the plants I have make it hard to tell when the cycle starts/ends?
Is the Water Sprite growing well? If yes, they they should handle any ammonia. I wouldn't expect to see it above zero. Any chance ammonia is in the tap water? What water conditioner do you use?

In a Quarantine tank one has to be careful, if it is a fairly bare tank (no plants). Only one group of fish, leave them in the full period (which most recommend be 2 or preferably 3 weeks), move them into the main tank, then acquire new fish, etc. I have my QT planted, it is a 20g with excess plants from my main tanks, including floating plants, so I can stock it more, which is necessary since when i come from a fish store in Vancouver I usually have a lot of fish, 20-30, as I only make one run.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #15
 
LyzzaRyzz's Avatar
 
the water sprite moved to only one spot in my tank, since i have the filter on one side, and an air stone on the other, and the current of the water pushed the sprite to right in front of the filter, which is on the other side of the tank from the light.
it was all pushed together, and i swore it wasnt growing, so i made these weird corrals in the tank, so they wouldent be pushed around, and when i did that, i discovered that alot of the pieces of leaves were growing tiny little roots! Heres some pictures.
Iin the last whole picture tank you can see I have some java moss tied to four different rocks along the bottom. Im seeing if any grow from the bottom. I also have java moss tied to two peices of small floating driftwood on the surface. Im hoping it grows down...maybe?

My QT has a marimo ball, and a few of the water sprite. I also live right down the street, a 8 minute bike ride from one of my lps, so i can get fish whenever i want. I was planning on only doing one species at a time, nine, in case my bioload crashes from all of them, i can do four, then five. I might just make it easy and make it 5 and 5, but im aiming for nine, since there are only about a dozzen at the store, so i want to be able to turn down some if they dont look completely healthy. My params are currently at PH: 6.4, Ammonia: .05-.10, NI: 0-.10, NA: 1.0-2.0 [ not yellow, not orange] after a 20% w/c today.

Could i start adding my guppies? And should i do them three at a time? Since they dont really need a group, three at a time should be enough, right? Im just so nervous about going back into a cycle, and damaging my fish...
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #16
 
LyzzaRyzz's Avatar
 
Also, looking at the profiles again, Im wondering if what i saw as lemon tetra were actually pristella, There was a tank labeled pristella, but i remember seeing the white and black tips, and then the angular fins of the lemon. I know lemons were on the list of okay tetras, but what about pristellas? are the nippy? it says they are hardy, sothats a plus! Though lemons have more color, so i think ill go with which ever group looks better!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #17
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Also, looking at the profiles again, Im wondering if what i saw as lemon tetra were actually pristella, There was a tank labeled pristella, but i remember seeing the white and black tips, and then the angular fins of the lemon. I know lemons were on the list of okay tetras, but what about pristellas? are the nippy? it says they are hardy, sothats a plus! Though lemons have more color, so i think ill go with which ever group looks better!
No they're two different fish. Here's the Profile Pristella Tetra, they're not nippy at all.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
 
Byron's Avatar
 
"Yes" to your queston on adding the guppies, though as you have them now, i would put all of them in together.

Pristella are peaceful, though a bit more active.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
 
LyzzaRyzz's Avatar
 
Thanks Byron! I'm going to continue to do every other day 30% w/c, though, when could I stretch it out to every third day, or fourth?
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Thanks Byron! I'm going to continue to do every other day 30% w/c, though, when could I stretch it out to every third day, or fourth?
With the floating Water Sprite plants you won't have ammonia issues. Normal water change once a week. Unless something odd occurs, which i woldn't expect.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water softener vs Naturally Soft water (or RO) Elahrairah Cichlids 0 11-12-2010 09:28 AM
Tips Stocking for 8 Gallon Fresh water Tank milindsaraswala Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 11-03-2009 04:30 PM
Tips Stocking for 8 Gallon Fresh water Tank milindsaraswala Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 10-13-2009 02:57 AM


Tags
45 gallon. soft water, stocking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.