stocking advice please :)
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » stocking advice please :)

stocking advice please :)

This is a discussion on stocking advice please :) within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> yet another thread. sigh. so i'm still very unclear as to how i'm going to stock my tank and i would appreciate any help ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Darter Characin
Darter Characin
Smudge Spot Cory
Smudge Spot Cory
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
stocking advice please :)
Old 07-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
 
dorabaker's Avatar
 
stocking advice please :)

yet another thread. sigh.
so i'm still very unclear as to how i'm going to stock my tank and i would appreciate any help :)

i have a 15 gallon tank (yes, i know it's small) which i set up just over a week ago (last thursday to be precise). at present it has 1 golden gourami and 3 panda corys in it.
i'm planning on getting some more corys. 1-3 more pandas and maybe 2-4 sterbas corys as well. the minimum number of corys i would have in the tank is 6, maximum would be 10.
what i'd like to know is how many corys i can fit in the tank safely. i would also like to have a shoal of 6 glowlight tetras. any suggestions?
the tank has a piece of driftwood with a large java fern growing on it, lots of floating elodea, and a ceramic log. i'm planning on getting some java moss soon as well.

plus i have another (unrelated) question. i have another, small tank and although i've always assumed it was 5 gallons it looks bigger than pictures of 5 gallon tanks that i've seen, so i'd like to know what size it really is.
here are the measurements.
length: 46 cm
depth: 21 cm
height: 25 cm
sorry if you are thinking in inches
dorabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
it's roughly 6.2 gallons. maybe just try to stick to the rule 1 fish to 1 gallon and everyone's happy =)
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_penang View Post
it's roughly 6.2 gallons. maybe just try to stick to the rule 1 fish to 1 gallon and everyone's happy =)

this isnt a rule as its more like a guideline. for example, i couldnt place a 1 foot goldfish into a gallon tank. it would be 1 fish/1gallon ratio but just would NOT work.
i think its good to increase the number of corys as they like to have groups. i personally would do a total of 6 as to not have the floor to crowded.
i personally would also skip out on the glowlights as they are colorful BUT their DNA was modified with a coral or jellyfish or something which makes them a lab experiment. i dont support these kinds of things, but thats my opinion. if you want an alternative, 6 danios look the same, without the bright colors.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
this isnt a rule as its more like a guideline. for example, i couldnt place a 1 foot goldfish into a gallon tank. it would be 1 fish/1gallon ratio but just would NOT work.
i think its good to increase the number of corys as they like to have groups. i personally would do a total of 6 as to not have the floor to crowded.
i personally would also skip out on the glowlights as they are colorful BUT their DNA was modified with a coral or jellyfish or something which makes them a lab experiment. i dont support these kinds of things, but thats my opinion. if you want an alternative, 6 danios look the same, without the bright colors.



lol sorry about the rule thing.i was thinking cory's and what other fish she had in my head .
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_penang View Post
lol sorry about the rule thing.i was thinking cory's and what other fish she had in my head .
no need to be sorry about anything, just dont want anyone reading along to think that that's alright.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
onefish2fish, I think you are thinking of glofish, not glowlight tetras, earlier on. Glowlight tetra is not modified it is a naturally-occurring fish in South America. They are mainly tank raised now, but have not been modified. Glofish is quite another matter, its "original" was the zebra danio and I agree, this practice should not be supported by buying the fish.

To the issue of corys, this is a 15g so you have 24 inches length (presumably). A group of 5-7 is probably the limit. Corys don't have territories to defend and all species get along, so a mix of panda and sterbai is fine. Just bear in mind that Corydoras panda is a cooler water species, so 77-78F is max. Sterbai are fine at the same but will also manage higher if there are warmer fish. The Glowlight Tetra is fine with these, and the gold gourami (which is actually a colour phase of the Blue Gourami, see our profile) is OK at this temp. The gourami though really should have more space, but as you already have it, OK on its own (no more gourami).

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
yes my mistake i was thinking glofish sorry if there was any confusion there.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
 
dorabaker's Avatar
 
thanks :)
i knew the gourami was a variety of the three-spot, and also that the pandas prefer cooler water.
i did calculate that i would be able to fit 24 inches of fish in the tank, as that guide has always worked for me, although i know never to rely on it completely.
i'll have a look at some sterba's corys and decide whether to get 3 more pandas or 1 more panda and a few sterbas.
and glad to hear the glowlights would be ok :) i know there is some confusion between glo-fish and glowlight tetras hehe !

just one more idea. in the future (when my tank is much more mature) i would like to get some rams. i've kept them before and somehow they survived my terrible early fishkeeping skills. what i'd like to know is if it'd be ok to put rams in my tank. would there be problems with territory? and how many should i keep?
i've kept rams before in this same tank with a whole lot of other community fish and i had two males. they sparred a bit but they never hurt each other and it was kind of interesting to watch. they never attacked the other fish and usually after they'd finished fighting they'd retreat to opposite ends of the tank and not bother each other. thats just my personal experience, i guess you can never tell how a fish is going to behave which is why i'd like some advice on that.
also i would like some kind of small, sucking, algae-eating fish. i ruled out bristlenoses because i was told that there wouldn't be enough territory for them in my tank with the corys. what other fish would you reccomend?
dorabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorabaker View Post
thanks :)
i knew the gourami was a variety of the three-spot, and also that the pandas prefer cooler water.
i did calculate that i would be able to fit 24 inches of fish in the tank, as that guide has always worked for me, although i know never to rely on it completely.
i'll have a look at some sterba's corys and decide whether to get 3 more pandas or 1 more panda and a few sterbas.
and glad to hear the glowlights would be ok :) i know there is some confusion between glo-fish and glowlight tetras hehe !

just one more idea. in the future (when my tank is much more mature) i would like to get some rams. i've kept them before and somehow they survived my terrible early fishkeeping skills. what i'd like to know is if it'd be ok to put rams in my tank. would there be problems with territory? and how many should i keep?
i've kept rams before in this same tank with a whole lot of other community fish and i had two males. they sparred a bit but they never hurt each other and it was kind of interesting to watch. they never attacked the other fish and usually after they'd finished fighting they'd retreat to opposite ends of the tank and not bother each other. thats just my personal experience, i guess you can never tell how a fish is going to behave which is why i'd like some advice on that.
also i would like some kind of small, sucking, algae-eating fish. i ruled out bristlenoses because i was told that there wouldn't be enough territory for them in my tank with the corys. what other fish would you reccomend?
First on the last fish mentioned, do you have need for algae eaters? Remember every fish is adding ot eh bioload. If you like the fish for the fish's sake, that's one thing; but getting a fish--any fish--because it eats algae is quite different. A fish you like and want for its own sake that happens to eat algae is another matter.

Rams, assuming you mean the common or blue ram, could be kept as a mated pair in a 15g. Have a look at our profile of this fish, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi [click on the shaded name].

The inch of fish per gallon is not reliable. Different fish have different effects on the bioload, plus there is the issue of compatibility in all its forms.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
 
dorabaker's Avatar
 
well i love bristlenoses and any kind of plecos, and i like sucking catfish in general..ideally i would like a bristlenose, but i asked about this on here and was told there wouldn't be enough territory or something with all those corys.
yes i did mean blue rams. its so hard to find good rams anywhere though! they always look sickly. and i don't think i've ever seen a female ram. the stores have tanks full of male rams and no females. i don't know why!
my lfs has reasonable rams, or HAD reasonable rams back when i got my first pair. they are incredibly expensive there though.
dorabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking Advice on a 75 RevLemmon Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 06-24-2010 01:23 PM
Problems with stocking advice. Need help. Mattsmommaashley Cichlids 3 04-24-2010 11:06 AM
26 gallon bow stocking advice needed senorh Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 01-14-2010 01:35 PM
Stocking advice for 30 gallon CSGirl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 19 02-20-2009 11:13 PM
Stocking tank need advice carrgirl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 11-03-2006 12:48 AM


Tags
15 gallon, advice, corys, stocking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.