sponge filters - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-26-2010, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
sponge filters

Hi, I am still fairly new to fish and trying to set a tank up the best I can. I was told by a few people that adding a sponge filter to the tank helps keep the tank clean and adds air to the aquarium. Most of the people I talked to said that it would benefit any fresh water tank. A couple of people I spoke to said they should really only be used if breeding.

What are your thoughts on adding a sponge filter to a 60 gallon tank with a emperor 400 bio filter? Any negatives to using such a filter in addition to the other filter? I thought too it would keep the tank balanced when I am changing the other filters as the sponge stays there and only needs to be rinsed in the fish tank water from time to time.

Who uses them? Why? How much benefit do they offer?
Inga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 AM
nice filte.the beneficial bacteria would love this =)

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Anyone else here use sponge filters in addition to their other tank filters? I am wondering if there is any downside? Is there actually any benefit at all? It seems to make sense to add it but I am not sure. I was hoping to get more feedback.
Inga is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Anyone else here use sponge filters in addition to their other tank filters? I am wondering if there is any downside? Is there actually any benefit at all? It seems to make sense to add it but I am not sure. I was hoping to get more feedback.
I use the Hydro IV sponge filters in addition to Emperor filters on my large tanks, and smaller sponge filters on smaller tanks.
They provide extra aeration, some mechanical filtration,and hold tons of beneficial bacteria.
Some folks don't like them for aesthetic reasons, and they would be detrimental with regards to planted tanks by driving off CO2.
When I need to set up a new tank, or start a quarantine tank, i just use one of the sponge filters from my tank and this provides all the biological filtration needed to make the tanks safe for fish. Hope this helps.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1077 For This Useful Post:
Inga (06-28-2010)
post #5 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I use the Hydro IV sponge filters in addition to Emperor filters on my large tanks, and smaller sponge filters on smaller tanks.
Will you give me the brand name/model of a smaller sponge filter? The Hydro IV is the bomb but way too large for the tank I want to use it in. Thanks!

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Will you give me the brand name/model of a smaller sponge filter? The Hydro IV is the bomb but way too large for the tank I want to use it in. Thanks!
Hydro makes smaller sponge filters as well but I shall go and see if I can find the ones more suited for smaller tanks. I can't remember the name of the small ones I use.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Hydro makes smaller sponge filters as well but I shall go and see if I can find the ones more suited for smaller tanks. I can't remember the name of the small ones I use.
Ahh, now I remember. Go to DrsFosterSmith.com and look under aquarium supplies (filters) The ones I use in ten and twenty gallon tanks are .. Oxygen Plus biofilter 3 or 5.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I use the Hydro IV sponge filters in addition to Emperor filters on my large tanks, and smaller sponge filters on smaller tanks.
They provide extra aeration, some mechanical filtration,and hold tons of beneficial bacteria.
Some folks don't like them for aesthetic reasons, and they would be detrimental with regards to planted tanks by driving off CO2.
When I need to set up a new tank, or start a quarantine tank, i just use one of the sponge filters from my tank and this provides all the biological filtration needed to make the tanks safe for fish. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. This is what I found online, does this sound like a decent price?

Filter Kit #5C (For 40-60 Gallon Aquariums).
Includes: Via Aqua 480 Pump,
Hydro Sponge 5 PRO Filter (higher flow rates!), and Jungle Start Right Water Conditioner.ONLY $24.99








Is this the filter you were referring to? Also, I saw something on that site about stacking the filters. Do you think that is something I should think about doing in a 60 gallon tank, or is the 5 PRO enough?
Inga is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. This is what I found online, does this sound like a decent price?

Filter Kit #5C (For 40-60 Gallon Aquariums).
Includes: Via Aqua 480 Pump, Hydro Sponge 5 PRO Filter (higher flow rates!), and Jungle Start Right Water Conditioner.ONLY $24.99








Is this the filter you were referring to? Also, I saw something on that site about stacking the filters. Do you think that is something I should think about doing in a 60 gallon tank, or is the 5 PRO enough?

Should work well without stacking additional filters.
I use mine with Luft air pumps and airstones, but have also used them with powerheads that have reverse flow capabilities.
The photo of the one you found as mentioned,should work well. Once every couple weeks,,squeeze the sponge out in old aquarium water to clean it, and stick it back in the tank .

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1077 For This Useful Post:
Inga (07-05-2010)
post #10 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Oh Thanks for sharing that. I didn't know you had to squeeze them out into old aquarium water. If I ever start another tank, I could squeeze it into there to help cycle that tank, right? Yup, I have the fish bug, I might think about a second tank....soon.
Inga is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Me Understand Sponge Filters seltzerwater DIY Aquarium 12 03-07-2010 09:49 AM
sponge filters... air or powerhead? beetlebz Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 14 02-27-2010 12:56 AM
sponge filters - question ErinBBC Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 05-02-2008 05:50 AM
sponge filters Sadie Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 5 02-05-2007 08:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome